Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to start freelance work

Default Re: How to start freelance work

Quote Originally Posted by geeteethree View Post
    It is not just about photography, but business skills are required to suceed.
    Your not going to be given a step by step guide on how to be a successful freelance photographer. Do something about it yourself. Make some mistakes, learn from them. Otherwise your not going to get anywhere being spoon fed.
    true...i know photography is only half..the other is business and how you satisfy your clients...:P

I think you've to create your very own portfolio to set up your own business.

Quote Originally Posted by focusHeart View Post
    thanks for sharing...you're right i can learn something but volunteering my service...
    Give the last sentence of my advice some deep thoughts.... It will do u good.

thanks for sharing...you're right i can learn something but volunteering my service...

Where are you going to start your volunteering your service and how?
    Where to start from?

Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    Give the last sentence of my advice some deep thoughts.... It will do u good.
    sorry typo...i meant as in by not but...

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Where are you going to start your volunteering your service and how?
    Where to start from?
    i guess have to find photographers who need assistance i guess...ask friends...etc...

i guess have to find photographers who need assistance i guess...ask friends...etc...
    Ask friend for? but I don't any friend who have photography hobby as I do.

Realise that you emphasise alot on MegaPixels.

As a matter of fact, sensor size is more important than MegaPixels in camera. Do you really blow up your picture to A3 or bigger all the time?

In fact, too high a MegaPixel can sometimes increase the noise and degrade the quality of your photo.

Hope your main reason for getting the 5DMark II not because of the MegaPixel but rather the full frame sensor.

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by Dinobones View Post
    D40 camera to me its bottom grade camera I do not think it will be good enough to do "freelance" work I own a Nikon D60 twin lens camera and all tho it takes great pics. there is better gear out there but as for putting a portfolio together it will not hurt to do this i have put together one with a normal digital camera not a DSLR and gained work from this.

So in a nut shell YES put together a Portfolio but I all so think u need a better camera but i am not a pro just a newbie as well (my next camera will be Canon EOS 5D Mark II its 21.5Mp)
    this will set me back $6000.00 AUD (Australian) with out the lens.

Good luck Buddie
    P.s. how many Mega pixel is your D40? (The D60 is 10.2)

Aim high, begin with goals in mind. Where do you want to be 1 / 5 / 10 years from now?

For sure most people have struggled to get where they are in whatever profession they are in, but you do need to get basic business skills to keep the cash-flow positive when going it alone.

Ask friends/neighbors/colleagues/charity etc for help building your portfolio to begin with, but you do need to nurture your talent and promote a niche to gain a foot-hold. Focus on one area of photography and become the BEST at it.

Risk = reward. (in the form of at least very valuable experience gained)
    No risk = wonder "what if" years from now.

Shoot for the stars.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by eosandy View Post
    Aim high, begin with goals in mind. Where do you want to be 1 / 5 / 10 years from now?

For sure most people have struggled to get where they are in whatever profession they are in, but you do need to get basic business skills to keep the cash-flow positive when going it alone.

Ask friends/neighbors/colleagues/charity etc for help building your portfolio to begin with, but you do need to nurture your talent and promote a niche to gain a foot-hold. Focus on one area of photography and become the BEST at it.

Risk = reward. (in the form of at least very valuable experience gained)
    No risk = wonder "what if" years from now.

Shoot for the stars.
    thanks man for sharing...i don't really know what i'm going to do in 1/5/10 years time as i come from programming background and i'm still unsure of what i want to do..except i want to do photography as part time...yeah...i'm very interested in portrait photography...

Actually, if you are a student, there would have been lots of opportunities available from school. And they really help to expose you to different situations. (which can lead to really interesting picture and great pictures)

Do volunteer for relatives, neighbours, friends wedding too. Beg them to allow you to be there! (as a ka kia lar)

Treat all these events like you are paid and evaluate at the end of it how many pics are usable i.e. you will pay for it yourself.

Money is secondary, but ruining the coverage like a wedding will be very jialat. You can try again at another wedding but they only marry once!

The camera body is not an issue. I have seen my peers with D40 and 400D producing great pictures.

In my opinion, if you are really considering earning a bit of money, invest in a flash before a fast lens. Learning how to master the flash is another steep curve and flash is ESSENTIAL for event coverage.

Some wedding photographers are still using D70/D70s la... why worry what cam you use. Do indoor vents with good lighting not really a problem.
    Shahrul Esa

Hey thanks for your comment...so in the end i do have to create an online portfolio...
    Creating online portfolio is free, so why not get some decent shots up there.

Hi!

If you want to do freelance, first go around snapping as many pics as possible in RAW, if possible and DI them.

Then select the ones you think capture your heart. Post them on ClubSnap under the "Critique" column or any other photography webby. Accept the C & C's. Keep those that generate good comments and use them as part of your portfolio buildup. Those that get criticized, discard them and improve on your techniques. Each photographer has his/her own style (Like no two people walk in the same manner).

There are a few more ways to do it. CSers are more than willing to assist you but at the end of the day, it's you and your DSLR. Like what [DINOBONES] mentioned, D40 is an entry level DSLR. It's like you want to participate in a cycling road race using a BMX where all other competitors are using racing bikes.

All the best!
    Last edited by sabrecruz; 5th April 2009 at 05:41 PM.

Set up an account on flickr and join one of their many critique groups, sometimes they may be a bit harsh, but look a little deeper and you'll see the meaning in their critiques.
    Befriend some flickr members, comment on their photos and such and more often than not, they'll reciprocate in kind, got a nice number of contacts and advice that way.

Other than that, shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Then go home and post-proc your images in photoshop, experiment with curves and levels etc, and when you've saved up enough cash from part-time jobs/allowance etc, buy yourself better lenses and go out and repeat the above.

Eventually you'll reach your target level, its just important to note that it takes time and effort.
    Last edited by MarkNKL; 5th April 2009 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3in1c View Post
    Creating online portfolio is free, so why not get some decent shots up there.

How to creating online portfolio,any web side address?
    I myself also want to do want online portfolio for my son.

vince123123
    Guests

I agree with JT that Dino's comments are rather inapprorpiate and can be construed as being rude by some.

Quote Originally Posted by JT-Fied View Post
    Dude... your comments here sound damn arrogant man... if u wanna compare cams and all there are others who use even better entry level DSLR then u do, so the TS is using a D40 so what? u D60 damn great ah? Then how about those using D80 or even D90?? Does that make them better photographers?? I have seen photogs who use D700 and take crap pics.

It's not so much about the equipment, it's about you as a photog in general and how you envision your pictures to be.

To thread starter, i think one of the other members mentioned doing volunteering n networking. yes that is a good way to get started. If u r schling then volunteer to take pics during yr school events for your newsletter or so. From here, post your photos on the web like flickr or multiply and that becomes your portfolio. Oh and i think you mean part time photography and not freelance... there IS a diff though alot think it's the same... i also thought so in the beginning. Try community centres too... they are always on the look out for volunteers! hahaha good luck!!!

PS. To Dinobones don't be too quick to put down other ppl's cameras.. our cams are dear to us and it ain't nice to compare that way. You were so quick to say D40 is a "bottom grade" cam but you don't even know how many megapixels there are... well u wanna compare?? here u go http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_d60&show=all

oh and D60 only got 4 1/4 stars compared to D40 that got 4 1/2 so does that mean your D60 is lousier then a "bottom grade cam"???

Dino! my camera is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than yours. My eyes are i dunno how many gazillion megapixels! better than full frame! ..bleah. haha i really find this thread useful. I actually am looking around to do freelancing. Well maybe i should make a good portfolio first yah.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I agree with JT that Dino's comments are rather inapprorpiate and can be construed as being rude by some.
    Quote Originally Posted by has91 View Post
    Dino! my camera is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than yours. My eyes are i dunno how many gazillion megapixels! better than full frame! ..bleah. haha i really find this thread useful. I actually am looking around to do freelancing. Well maybe i should make a good portfolio first yah.
    Notice that Mr "my cam is better then your cam but dunno how many megapixels it has" has totally gone quiet???

Quote Originally Posted by JT-Fied View Post
    Notice that Mr "my cam is better then your cam but dunno how many megapixels it has" has totally gone quiet???
    He munching on fish & chips in australia liao lah....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast