Thread: image files name renaming

Default image files name renaming

Hi, do any one of you know how can i rename images without having to do it one by one?
    is this possible?

if i have thousands of pix, must i rename individual image one by one, are there any short cut?

Default Re: image files name renaming

why rename?
    Nikon D60 Multiply Bukit Merah Secondary School

Quote Originally Posted by chuaboonkiat View Post
    why rename?
    one reason is i want to rename under the folder title like, landscape folder, the images inside will be landscape1.jpg, landscape2.jpg........etc

i also notice when i upgrade camera, the old body will give the same name as the new body so it is not possible to copy and paste to the same folder hence need to rename it first.

i think you still need to rename each picture, unless you want all the pics to have the SAME name!

and i have not heard of any batch processing that could give identical name to a large number of pics, let alone giving distinct names to a batch of pics.

one consolation is that you could sort and group your pics into folders with distinct names. so in folder 1, you may have pic no. 001, 002, 003, etc., and yet in folder 2, you would have also pic no. 001, 002, 003, etc.

maybe those software that create albums could do group renaming after you have specified some convention. sorry, i am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ggodetucsamoht View Post
    one reason is i want to rename under the folder title like, landscape folder, the images inside will be landscape1.jpg, landscape2.jpg........etc

i also notice when i upgrade camera, the old body will give the same name as the new body so it is not possible to copy and paste to the same folder hence need to rename it first.
    to rename under the filenames as landscape1.jpg, landscape2.jpg........etc, it is not wise choice, if you shoot thousands over images in a years or two, you will run out for filenames very soon..

anyway, here's a freeware, very powerful to do bulk renames of files.

Bulk Rename Utility

Hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

acdsee can do that

Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    i think you still need to rename each picture, unless you want all the pics to have the SAME name!

and i have not heard of any batch processing that could give identical name to a large number of pics, let alone giving distinct names to a batch of pics.

one consolation is that you could sort and group your pics into folders with distinct names. so in folder 1, you may have pic no. 001, 002, 003, etc., and yet in folder 2, you would have also pic no. 001, 002, 003, etc.

maybe those software that create albums could do group renaming after you have specified some convention. sorry, i am not sure.
    thks you

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    to rename under the filenames as landscape1.jpg, landscape2.jpg........etc, it is not wise choice, if you shoot thousands over images in a years or two, you will run out for filenames very soon..

anyway, here's a freeware, very powerful to do bulk renames of files.

Bulk Rename Utility

Hope this help.
    i have alot of different different folders. for examples my puppy photos should go into only one folder and such every now and then all the photos should go into this identical folder. In order to keep track of my puppy growth i need the number to run in such a way in a running date forn. but as and if i change body, the name will be from very beginning of the folder. hence when i transfer the image of this new body, the new images instead of going to the back, but will go to the front.

anyway i will try the link you send me, see if it helps...........

thanks you anyway..

FastStone Resizer is able to do the job. Google it or go to Download.com
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

Quote Originally Posted by ggodetucsamoht View Post
    i have alot of different different folders. for examples my puppy photos should go into only one folder and such every now and then all the photos should go into this identical folder. In order to keep track of my puppy growth i need the number to run in such a way in a running date forn. but as and if i change body, the name will be from very beginning of the folder. hence when i transfer the image of this new body, the new images instead of going to the back, but will go to the front.

anyway i will try the link you send me, see if it helps...........

thanks you anyway..
    you can try name the folders this ways, and the filenames remind...

puppy / year / month / date /001.jpg

or

puppy / year-month-date / 001.jpg

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    FastStone Resizer is able to do the job. Google it or go to Download.com
    bingo.....

it works..........................powerful, settle my problems once and for all !!!

thanks you thanks you....

I think you can use the software that convert your image file(Jpeg, CR....) to smaller size or resolution. Just take it as you are converting to the size you want but it will take a while to process on it.
    Hope it help.

i tot you could do it in windows? just select a bunch of files then just press f2 or right click to rename. no?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bleh/
    let the universe surprise you .)

Adobe Bridge, can batch rename