Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: image files name renaming

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default image files name renaming

    Hi, do any one of you know how can i rename images without having to do it one by one?
    is this possible?

    if i have thousands of pix, must i rename individual image one by one, are there any short cut?

  2. #2
    Member chuaboonkiat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore, tiong bahru estate
    Posts
    216

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    why rename?
    Nikon D60 Multiply Bukit Merah Secondary School

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    Quote Originally Posted by chuaboonkiat View Post
    why rename?
    one reason is i want to rename under the folder title like, landscape folder, the images inside will be landscape1.jpg, landscape2.jpg........etc

    i also notice when i upgrade camera, the old body will give the same name as the new body so it is not possible to copy and paste to the same folder hence need to rename it first.

  4. #4
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    i think you still need to rename each picture, unless you want all the pics to have the SAME name!

    and i have not heard of any batch processing that could give identical name to a large number of pics, let alone giving distinct names to a batch of pics.

    one consolation is that you could sort and group your pics into folders with distinct names. so in folder 1, you may have pic no. 001, 002, 003, etc., and yet in folder 2, you would have also pic no. 001, 002, 003, etc.

    maybe those software that create albums could do group renaming after you have specified some convention. sorry, i am not sure.

  5. #5
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    Quote Originally Posted by ggodetucsamoht View Post
    one reason is i want to rename under the folder title like, landscape folder, the images inside will be landscape1.jpg, landscape2.jpg........etc

    i also notice when i upgrade camera, the old body will give the same name as the new body so it is not possible to copy and paste to the same folder hence need to rename it first.
    to rename under the filenames as landscape1.jpg, landscape2.jpg........etc, it is not wise choice, if you shoot thousands over images in a years or two, you will run out for filenames very soon..

    anyway, here's a freeware, very powerful to do bulk renames of files.

    Bulk Rename Utility

    Hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #6

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    acdsee can do that

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    i think you still need to rename each picture, unless you want all the pics to have the SAME name!

    and i have not heard of any batch processing that could give identical name to a large number of pics, let alone giving distinct names to a batch of pics.

    one consolation is that you could sort and group your pics into folders with distinct names. so in folder 1, you may have pic no. 001, 002, 003, etc., and yet in folder 2, you would have also pic no. 001, 002, 003, etc.

    maybe those software that create albums could do group renaming after you have specified some convention. sorry, i am not sure.
    thks you

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    to rename under the filenames as landscape1.jpg, landscape2.jpg........etc, it is not wise choice, if you shoot thousands over images in a years or two, you will run out for filenames very soon..

    anyway, here's a freeware, very powerful to do bulk renames of files.

    Bulk Rename Utility

    Hope this help.
    i have alot of different different folders. for examples my puppy photos should go into only one folder and such every now and then all the photos should go into this identical folder. In order to keep track of my puppy growth i need the number to run in such a way in a running date forn. but as and if i change body, the name will be from very beginning of the folder. hence when i transfer the image of this new body, the new images instead of going to the back, but will go to the front.

    anyway i will try the link you send me, see if it helps...........

    thanks you anyway..

  9. #9

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    FastStone Resizer is able to do the job. Google it or go to Download.com
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    Quote Originally Posted by ggodetucsamoht View Post
    i have alot of different different folders. for examples my puppy photos should go into only one folder and such every now and then all the photos should go into this identical folder. In order to keep track of my puppy growth i need the number to run in such a way in a running date forn. but as and if i change body, the name will be from very beginning of the folder. hence when i transfer the image of this new body, the new images instead of going to the back, but will go to the front.

    anyway i will try the link you send me, see if it helps...........

    thanks you anyway..
    you can try name the folders this ways, and the filenames remind...

    puppy / year / month / date /001.jpg

    or

    puppy / year-month-date / 001.jpg

    hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    FastStone Resizer is able to do the job. Google it or go to Download.com
    bingo.....

    it works..........................powerful, settle my problems once and for all !!!


    thanks you thanks you....

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    I think you can use the software that convert your image file(Jpeg, CR....) to smaller size or resolution. Just take it as you are converting to the size you want but it will take a while to process on it.
    Hope it help.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    city and bishan toapayoh grc
    Posts
    490

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    i tot you could do it in windows? just select a bunch of files then just press f2 or right click to rename. no?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bleh/
    let the universe surprise you .)

  14. #14

    Default Re: image files name renaming

    Adobe Bridge, can batch rename

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •