Thread: Your opinion...part II

Default Your opinion

Can anyone advise, which of the below lenses would you pick?? Assume that price is not an issue.

1. Canon EF 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 USM

2. Sigma 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 DL Aspherical Hyperzoom Macro

3. Tamron AF28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Aspherical (IF) Super Zoom

4. Tokina AT-X AF 24-200 f/3.5-5.6

I am referring to image quality and sharpness.

Renamed subject of thread so that it is not confused with antoher thread you have posted under the same subject but referring to different lenses.

Thanks.

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Any reason why Tamron is your choice... Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MaGixShOe
    no. 3 is the choice

If my memory didnt fail me, the tamron has won many awards for its 28-200 and 28-300 and it had undergone many revisions(lighter weight, better optics(XR))

Although AF is abit slower than USM from canon, but it is still acceptable with cameras like the 10D, built quality is very good also, comes with lens hood and case. It focus down close too.

the 24-135 that i previously been using is a truly superb lens

Quote Originally Posted by MaGixShOe
    If my memory didnt fail me, the tamron has won many awards for its 28-200 and 28-300 and it had undergone many revisions(lighter weight, better optics(XR))

Although AF is abit slower than USM from canon, but it is still acceptable with cameras like the 10D, built quality is very good also, comes with lens hood and case. It focus down close too.

the 24-135 that i previously been using is a truly superb lens

Have to be a bit careful here to compare the Tamron 24-135SP and the 28-200XR cos the lenses are from different lines with theSP lens from a higher range and hence better optical quality.

Having said that it's a straight fight between the Tokina 24-200 or the Tamron 28-200. I'll be tempted by the extra 4mm which gives u really decent wide capabilities. But u have to find out if there is significant abberations from the Tokina at either end...... it's a pretty large zoom range - 5x.... also compared filter size and flare resistance altho' to me that is not so much of an issue since my 82mm Sigma 17-35 EX does not flare at all..... (never shot direct to light source but even with incident stray light not normal to front element, it's ok).