Thread: Macbook Time-Machine / Harddrive help.

Default Macbook Time-Machine / Harddrive help.

Okay, so I did something wrong, or "not what I intended".

My intention was to partition my 320gig external hard drive into 2 volumes equally and use one volume for apple time machine, and the other for data transfers between mac and windows computers.

However, what I did was plug the 320gig seagate free-agent harddrive into the mac, go to time-machine, and followed instructions, assuming it would take me to a partition settings area.

It didn't-- It went forward and formatted the entire hard drive and used the entire thing for apple time machine. Now when I plug the hard drive into a windows computer, it can detect and install the hdd, but it won't appear in my computer as a volume that I can transfer my files too.

Please advise me on what to do-- I'm a fresh mac convert.

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Default Re: Macbook Time-Machine / Harddrive help.

The apple time machine would have format your hdd to their own file format and windoze cant read that format
    Jerfotography Nikon D300
    Power by iMac MBP iPhone 6+ iPad Air

D'oh, that was fast. Erase all data, partition into 2 volumes, mac os journaled and FAT.

As an off side, for a 160gig macbook, how much space should I leave to time machine?
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Well what you need to do is...

partition 1 as FAT32 format - for your windows and mac transfer
    partition 2 as HFS format - for your time machine and read & write in mac only.