Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

  1. #1

    Default Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    I was wondering around the place on Saturday, quite a few pre-owned shops there. Anyone has experiences to share, buying from the area? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member luna_sea83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    You mean which Peninsula?

    the one with CP or TCW?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    You mean which Peninsula?

    the one with CP or TCW?
    the one without CP.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Well, it depends on what lenses or equipment you are looking at. However do note that most of the shops carry the items quite expensive for second-hand. I wouldn't buy anything that isn't a top of the line equipment due to decreasing monetary value.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

  5. #5
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by third3rdwheel View Post
    the one without CP.
    so which building is this? is it peninsula plaza or peninsula shopping centre?

  6. #6
    Member luntut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,883

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    so which building is this? is it peninsula plaza or peninsula shopping centre?
    dude.

    the one WITH CP is Peninsula Plaza.

    so by the process of elimination (which is not too hard i think in this case) this should have limited the choice to 1. Peninsula Shopping Centre.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

  7. #7
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    dude.

    the one WITH CP is Peninsula Plaza.

    so by the process of elimination (which is not too hard i think in this case) this should have limited the choice to 1. Peninsula Shopping Centre.
    ok, thnks for guidance. i am not too familiar with these two buildings. anyway, went to Peninsula SC just now. saw two shops selling used equipment. but looking at the price tags and labels, i do not have the feeling that they sell cheaper than CS B&S.

    also went over to Peninsula Plaza. could not find cathay photo. i went to the first floor though.

    last stop, i dropped by adelphi and went in to browse at P & G. this shop seemed better stocked with used equipment. and accessories appeared to be cheaper than B & S,although i could not be 100% sure.

    yeap, today was my walkabout cum recce on camera shops.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshSiao View Post
    Well, it depends on what lenses or equipment you are looking at. However do note that most of the shops carry the items quite expensive for second-hand. I wouldn't buy anything that isn't a top of the line equipment due to decreasing monetary value.
    last nite i just read a thread in CS mentioning that 2nd hand shop sells things cheaper than CS buy n sell thread... now i read 2nd hand shops sells things more ex.... but my personal experience is that buyer shld decide what is the right price to buy, then buying it any where shldnt matter any more...
    life is but a dream...

  9. #9
    Member luntut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,883

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    also went over to Peninsula Plaza. could not find cathay photo. i went to the first floor though.
    you are so adorably cute. you cannot find CP???!?!?!! its like one of the biggest shops on level 1 of Peninsula Plaza.

    Try going to the BACK of the place, instead of the main lobby area. there is another small alley there, and if you can still miss CP along that alley, i think you might wanna consider getting specs instead of cameras...
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

  10. #10
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Whether buying 2nd hand stuff from the B&S section or from shops in Peninsular all require the buyer to do his/her homework. I've seen some people selling stuff in the B&S section at crazily high prices... and at the same time, I've found some fantastic bargains at 2nd hand shops in Peninsular... and vice versa.

    Generally, this is what I find about some of the 2nd hand shops in Peninsular...

    TCW - slightly higher than market rate, so do a bit of bargaining...
    BenPhoto, CamX, P&G - pretty close to market rate...
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    i collected a lens on CamX before for my brother.. pretty nice guy there..

  12. #12

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    Whether buying 2nd hand stuff from the B&S section or from shops in Peninsular all require the buyer to do his/her homework. I've seen some people selling stuff in the B&S section at crazily high prices... and at the same time, I've found some fantastic bargains at 2nd hand shops in Peninsular... and vice versa.

    Generally, this is what I find about some of the 2nd hand shops in Peninsular...

    TCW - slightly higher than market rate, so do a bit of bargaining...
    BenPhoto, CamX, P&G - pretty close to market rate...
    whatever you guys do,

    don't patronise The Camera Workshop.

    I don't care how much the CS-ers here worship that place for rental of stuff and whatnots, but it's a straight NO from me when buying 2nd hand from them.

    I was ready with cash to buy the 30d ( whilst searching for the best price in the centre ).

    When asking for price of 30d body from TCW uncle, guess what he told me ?

    " you really wana buy anot?? "

    " you got money anot?? "

    " if u really wana buy then i take out let you see "

    i am seriously pissed with this kind of attitude. wanna make money but look down on people? piece of crap. i swear i won't step into that store ever again.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Welcome to S'pore .. hehehe

    same as the shop on the left of AP in SLS (left when u standing outside facing AP) ...

    me "This JVC camcorder is which model?"

    shop "what model u look for la?" (face damn angry)

    me "i duuno thats why i ask.. but this model looks like it... but if i hear model number then i can probably recall.. "

    shop "so what model u looking for then i tell u if this is the one or not"

    #$@#%#$^%$

    they really shld learn from HK... if u guys been there affter ard 1999 u can tell how they changed... even PM Lee that day got say

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    you are so adorably cute. you cannot find CP???!?!?!! its like one of the biggest shops on level 1 of Peninsula Plaza.

    Try going to the BACK of the place, instead of the main lobby area. there is another small alley there, and if you can still miss CP along that alley, i think you might wanna consider getting specs instead of cameras...
    lol, yeah he probably didnt walk to the back. and there are two CP shops facing each other somemore.

    well to TS about the question regarding the other camera shops at either peninsular buildings, you can try your luck by approaching them. but my take is since you're already around that area, why don't you try CP, AP or John 3:16? definitely makes you feel more assured about your purchase.

  15. #15
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    you are so adorably cute. you cannot find CP???!?!?!! its like one of the biggest shops on level 1 of Peninsula Plaza.

    Try going to the BACK of the place, instead of the main lobby area. there is another small alley there, and if you can still miss CP along that alley, i think you might wanna consider getting specs instead of cameras...
    ha ha! i am already wearing specs. i think i should get wear a pair of binoculars!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Living out of the suitcase...
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    i got some stuff from benphoto, quite a nice chap

  17. #17

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    Welcome to S'pore .. hehehe

    same as the shop on the left of AP in SLS (left when u standing outside facing AP) ...

    me "This JVC camcorder is which model?"

    shop "what model u look for la?" (face damn angry)

    me "i duuno thats why i ask.. but this model looks like it... but if i hear model number then i can probably recall.. "

    shop "so what model u looking for then i tell u if this is the one or not"

    #$@#%#$^%$

    they really shld learn from HK... if u guys been there affter ard 1999 u can tell how they changed... even PM Lee that day got say
    lol. sinkaporeans' service really cmi. extreme rudeness. at least i didn't expect the camera workshop to be like that.. since there were some recommendations here and there for the shop. in the end that uncle who sat at the entrance ruined my day.

  18. #18
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    lol. sinkaporeans' service really cmi. extreme rudeness. at least i didn't expect the camera workshop to be like that.. since there were some recommendations here and there for the shop. in the end that uncle who sat at the entrance ruined my day.


    maybe that day, the uncle got a tough day. so he took it out on you! ha ha...

  19. #19

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    didn't look like it leh. he was sitting down there and slacking before i came in. i was considerate enough to talk to him in mandarin ( he looks like and should be chinese ) and yet he shot me back in english.. rubbish man.

    maybe it was because i wear damn cheapskate ( tee and jeans then holding a can of soft drink, lol! ).. that's why it led him to saying all those sh1t..

  20. #20
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: Pre-owned Camera shops at Peninsula

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    didn't look like it leh. he was sitting down there and slacking before i came in. i was considerate enough to talk to him in mandarin ( he looks like and should be chinese ) and yet he shot me back in english.. rubbish man.

    maybe it was because i wear damn cheapskate ( tee and jeans then holding a can of soft drink, lol! ).. that's why it led him to saying all those sh1t..
    do this experiment then, find one day that you are very free. wear suit there, speak in queen's english, and see his reaction. if he still answers in curt and abrasive manner, then we can confirm that he deliberately wants to close the shop! ha ha ha....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •