Thread: What kinda scratches on lens will affect an image?

Question What kinda scratches on lens will affect an image?

Recently I accidentally scratched a UV filter of mine (Small one), and continued to use it, but there is absolutely no effect on the final picture output as well. This got me wondering, how deep a scratch will effect the image? A huge deep one? Several small deep ones?

erm it depends of course, but generally a long deep one will give you a line across your image, while several smaller ones, esp those clustered together, would give you a blurry patch. i'm stereotyping of course, cos there's many other factors which would affect image. easiest way is to shoot and see. if you can't see any difference, then continue shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry
    erm it depends of course, but generally a long deep one will give you a line across your image, while several smaller ones, esp those clustered together, would give you a blurry patch. i'm stereotyping of course, cos there's many other factors which would affect image. easiest way is to shoot and see. if you can't see any difference, then continue shooting.
    But what exactly did I scratch if it didn't effect the image? The coating on top of it or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r
    But what exactly did I scratch if it didn't effect the image? The coating on top of it or something?
    can't really give you a definitive answer without looking at the lens/filter itself, but it just sounds like you didn't scratch it enough to affect it badly.

it sounds like just a scratch oni the top coating layer and dosen't sound so bad... so maybe it might just cause some flare or CA....
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

Deregistered

Sometimes it might not be visible because there's no harsh light going through the scratch to show on your picture, maybe if you shot at something bright and reflective, maybe the scratch will show up?

just becareful not to mishandle the filter.
    i accidentally scratched my softener during an outdoor assignment.

how did it happen?
    when i un-screw the filter from my len, i accidentally pressed the softener glass to the edge of my UV filter (as hoya has sharp, grovvy edge at the outer side of their filter).

never use the softener again, therefore dunno if the still can be used.
    scratch was quite bad

SO, moral is always becareful when removing filters from your len.