Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: price quoted before GST

Default Re: price quoted before GST

Parisilk is notorious for this practice. Never quote GST.

another reason why i have stopped patronising that shop.
    main reason...almost kena conned.

vince123123
    Guests

Yup, feel free to report them

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Interesting. This would mean one of the recommended shops here is in violation of that law.

One of the reasons why some businesses quote prices before GST is because it is difficult to compute the unit price of items where there are many items or different items of different prices. Common enough practice among businesses. It is a simple enough to add in the GST to the total rather than to work it out backwards.

Jeez I can't believe some here are so eager to encourage squealing to the authorities over such a minor issue.

vince123123
    Guests

There are many minor issues that are nonetheless still criminal offences. If you overlook every minor issue, slowly the threshold will be raised into major issues. Isn't things like littering also considered "minor issues"? Or perhaps, things like spitting?

From this thread, there are already signs of how failure to quote with GST has resulted in negative results.

For things like camera, I don't know how you can justify quoting prices without GST. Is it that hard to put in your inventory system, "S$A x 1.07"?

There's no working backwards as prices are all quoted per item. Either you do three labels with A x 1.07, B x 1.07 and C x 1.07, or do a total A+B+C x 1.07 at hte cashier - work is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    One of the reasons why some businesses quote prices before GST is because it is difficult to compute the unit price of items where there are many items or different items of different prices. Common enough practice among businesses. It is a simple enough to add in the GST to the total rather than to work it out backwards.

Jeez I can't believe some here are so eager to encourage squealing to the authorities over such a minor issue.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    There are many minor issues that are nonetheless still criminal offences. If you overlook every minor issue, slowly the threshold will be raised into major issues. Isn't things like littering also considered "minor issues"? Or perhaps, things like spitting?
    Sounds like the "broken window" crime prevention theory...
    Alpha

Smile Re: price quoted before GST

I've highlighted this issue before.

Here's a blast from the past : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332407

I have also written to CASE about this as it has something to do with consumers. But they ask that i refer to IRAS.

vince123123
    Guests

That's because IRAS is the correct body to bring this issue up to, not CASE.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    I've highlighted this issue before.

Here's a blast from the past : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332407

I have also written to CASE about this as it has something to do with consumers. But they ask that i refer to IRAS.

vince, just to check, is it also true that shops need at least $1m in sales for the previous year before they can charge GST? does this also mean that new shops (within the first year) are not supposed to be charging GST?
    eat. drink. shoot

vince123123
    Guests

Actually, that is not quite accurate. The correct way to say it is that a shop must be a GST-registered entity before they are authorised to charge GST.

The next question is "must/when/how do I register"?

The rule is that if your turnover is more than 1M or is expected (the Govt expecst us to play oracle) to be more than 1M, then it is mandatory to register.

However, shops with less than 1M can still register under a voluntary compliance scheme.

Hence to answer your question - only GST registered entites can charge GST and only GST registered entities can claim input tax refunds.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    vince, just to check, is it also true that shops need at least $1m in sales for the previous year before they can charge GST? does this also mean that new shops (within the first year) are not supposed to be charging GST?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123