Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: price quoted before GST

Default price quoted before GST

i simply just don't understand why some shops like to quote its customer item price before GST ? this will make people doubts and once the actual price reviewed, its customer just simply turn off ..................

can all salesman in the shop please enlighten the every tax payers the rational between quoting customer with GST-inclusive and with GST NOn-inclusive.

Default Re: price quoted before GST

This is a mild form of bait and switch. Also called the foot-in-door technique, where people are less likely to reject your incrementally large requests after their initial agreement. It's a form of social psychology lol.

For example, if I were to choose between a 100 dollar watch and a 95 dollar watch from two different stores, I would choose the later. But the latter turns out to not include GST in the price, which means the final cost is slightly more than the first one. Would I still buy it, having said that I would buy it to the salesman? Most people would still buy it. only the more savvy shoppers would walk away.

It works on many people.
    Research Institute for Unicultural Visual Arts - Riuva.com

vince123123
    Guests

It is against the law to quote prices without GST.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    yes....i strongly agree on this.......................

Ah, the old bait-and-switch.

Now, I personally make it a habit to open mouth and ask, "GST inclusive?" any time I'm quoted a price.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

I think they should mentioned with GST or without GST in their Quotes so that ppl could judge.
    Nowsaday, when we ask for price, they just say one price and after we confirm, they charge GST. Actually, I think, we also should care abt this GST matter whenever we asking for price.

Actually, the buyer must be alert also. If you already know the catalogue price, and this shop quotes you cheaper than everybody else, alarm bells should be sounding off in your head already.

Really troublesome to get quote without GST... have to take out hand phone and calculate...

Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    Really troublesome to get quote without GST... have to take out hand phone and calculate...
    Wah. Champion. Lazy until like that...

There was once I was quoted a price which I like. Only after I paid, then the shopkeeper add GST into the price. So very silly of me not to ask beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Wah. Champion. Lazy until like that...
    haha...not really lazy lah. but troublesome ma. if they include gst then save the trouble.

better than last time those selling handphones. quote a very low price then when u say ok u want it, he'll take out a whole set of accessories that u have to purchase saying they come in a bundle.

vince123123
    Guests

Shd get a voice recorder and report those cheats who commit offence by not quoting GST

How about restaurants? Many restaurants have prices in their menus without GST........

One reason is that they quote without GST is for foreigners as they can get the GST back when they leave Singapore.....

HS

vince123123
    Guests

That's because hotels and restaurants have a special exemption from the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    How about restaurants? Many restaurants have prices in their menus without GST........

One reason is that they quote without GST is for foreigners as they can get the GST back when they leave Singapore.....

HS

That's because hotels and restaurants have a special exemption from the rule.
    Why? Cause there is no way people can get their GST back eating at restaurants???

HS

so to all bosses and management of the shops, please educate your staffs in dealing with verbal price quotation.......

we all know, many of them quote without GST to tempt us....its not something we can stop, but by asking include GST is something we should start. Singapore is not truly a place that protect consumers sad to say. CASE, what can they do or what have they done? As consumers, we have to just be more careful when we purchase. We cannot expect to be protected all the time. else we gonna complain singapore is a FINE city again

vince123123
    Guests

The official line given is because of "operational difficulties in computing GST-inclusive prices because of the imposition of service charge5"

And since when anyone can get their GST back for any other type of goods/services?

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Why? Cause there is no way people can get their GST back eating at restaurants???

HS

Vince, mind giving the citation for the law (section etc). Might come in handy one day

Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    Vince, mind giving the citation for the law (section etc). Might come in handy one day
    true also....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast