Thread: Kingston CF cards

Default Kingston CF cards

Dear all,

Was wondering if anyone ever have had their CF card malfunction?

I.e Camera would come up with error msg. The last few snaps would not be recorded. Upon restarting camera, the card would be usable again without the last few snaps.

I brought a 16GB card from the recent IT show and its giving me lots and lots of probs.
    Im just curious if its because the card is too big(?!?!) or inherently, the card is faulty?
    My 4GB kingston cards never gave me probs.. =(

Do share your experiences.

Regards
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

Default Re: Kingston CF cards

First thing: format the card using your camera. This is to ensure that the file system is correct (FAT32). Alternatively you can use your computer, but make sure that you set the file system correctly in the dialog box. It must be FAT32, nothing else.
    To make sure that the storage capacity is really usable just prepare about 15GB of data (mp3, pictures etc.) in a separate directory of your computer. Then copy everything to your CF card. Once finished just download everything again into a second directory of your computer. If the card has any issues they should appear by now. Compare the data (file name, date, size etc.). Any errors occurring are very likely errors on the CF card.

is your camera able to support 16gb? some older cameras may require a firmware update to recognise larger size memory cards.

i experience my kingston 2gb sd card malfunction in my pns when i use flash, without flash no problem. when i use the same card on dslr, no prob with flash or no flash. return the card to my pns and never face the same problem again. can't put a handle on the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    First thing: format the card using your camera. This is to ensure that the file system is correct (FAT32). Alternatively you can use your computer, but make sure that you set the file system correctly in the dialog box. It must be FAT32, nothing else.
    To make sure that the storage capacity is really usable just prepare about 15GB of data (mp3, pictures etc.) in a separate directory of your computer. Then copy everything to your CF card. Once finished just download everything again into a second directory of your computer. If the card has any issues they should appear by now. Compare the data (file name, date, size etc.). Any errors occurring are very likely errors on the CF card.

Have already done the formatting numerous times using the incamera format.
    Would try the transfer of data onto the card.

What happens if i confirm its a card issue? Is there a place to exchange the card?

Yes, u can go for an exchange. Kingston's servie center is located opp Sim lim Sq.

Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    Have already done the formatting numerous times using the incamera format.
    Would try the transfer of data onto the card.

What happens if i confirm its a card issue? Is there a place to exchange the card?
    bring along your camera to show them what is the exact problem. less hassle in getting it exchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by jfoo View Post
    bring along your camera to show them what is the exact problem. less hassle in getting it exchanged.
    Alrite, thanks guys!!
    =)

Looks like its just going to be a hassle of making my way down.

Im most prob never going to buy another 16 GB card.. hahaha...

Regards