Thread: Expired Films ....

Default Expired Films ....

Any difference between shooting :

1. a new roll of expired film (say 2 years) and

2. half a roll of expired film that has been left in the camera

tq

Default Re: Expired Films ....

i'd expect the temperature, humidity and air will have an impact on the film left in the camera. use up expired film as fast as you can.

yes, i know. just wonder if i should still shoot.....

anyway, anyone has any idea whether if there is any difference between colour, B&W and slides....

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    yes, i know. just wonder if i should still shoot.....

anyway, anyone has any idea whether if there is any difference between colour, B&W and slides....
    the very idea of using expired film is definitely not to save cost

what shooters want is the colour shift, uncertainly and plenty of golf-ball sized grains.

Slides experience color shift the quickest,
    while B&W is more resistant to expiry.

Or so, at least this is what i hear.
    Most films are safe to use within 1 year or so of the expiry without any drastic changes. Must also check if the film has been deep frozen or refrigerated too, of course.

the film speed also affects, e.g. - 25/50 being the slowest to change and the rate increases as the speed goes up. For something like a Delta 3200 you might not want to leave it lying in your cam for too long before development.

I would say that there would be a difference, althought I don't know what exactly.

When I shoot expired slide film and have them cross-processed, the colour-shift varies greatly with age of the film. The chemicals used could be a factor also. Doesn't really matter cos x-pro is supposed to produce unpredictable results anyway.

However, I once tried to develop a roll of film, can't remember whether it's a Kodak T400CN or regular Gold 400 (but it was a C41 roll). It was already expired by aboout 3 or 4 years, and was left in the camera for several months after that. The lab called to tell me that the entire roll was "blank". My guess is that the chemicals on the film had completely degraded.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    I would say that there would be a difference, althought I don't know what exactly.

When I shoot expired slide film and have them cross-processed, the colour-shift varies greatly with age of the film. The chemicals used could be a factor also. Doesn't really matter cos x-pro is supposed to produce unpredictable results anyway.

However, I once tried to develop a roll of film, can't remember whether it's a Kodak T400CN or regular Gold 400 (but it was a C41 roll). It was already expired by aboout 3 or 4 years, and was left in the camera for several months after that. The lab called to tell me that the entire roll was "blank". My guess is that the chemicals on the film had completely degraded.
    sometimes expired film have to be overexposed even to the extend of being grossly overexposed during the taking stage to register due to degrading of the film emulsion. it won't help if you push-process in the development stage because 'nothing' was recorded during the taking stage. this is a very common problem for those who 'play' with expired film.

thanx to all that responded.

jfoo - i'm not trying to save cost (of cos best if i am able to)

synapseman -2 weeks ago, i developed an entire roll of "blanks". hence, was worried that i may waste time and effort if i still continue to shoot with the expired films.

anyway, i finished a roll of expired delta 3200 at the museum today and hope that i'll be able to get something out of it.

i still have 2 rolls of sensia 200 and neopan 400.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

jfoo - i'm not trying to save cost (of cos best if i am able to)
    no worries. just kiddingz