Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Glorious Food!!!

Default Food Glorious Food!!!

Taken for my uncle's Peranakan Food Stall Menu. Comments greatly appreciated. Rgds

Bubur Terigu

Mee Rebus

Close Up of Mee Rebus

Lontong

Kueh Bangkit

Tau Suan

Curry Chix

Nasi Lemak

heh...where's his stall?!!! I'm very hungry now!!!!

Great shots especially the colours. It will be great for restaurant's menu. If it is meant for food court display it may be a little too artistic. Usually for those transparency displays the entire dish is seen. It sends an important message: there is nothing to hide, WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get!)

For reference you can go to food courts run by Food Junction.

Very nice shots you have! My personal preference would be to have a deeper DOF for the Lotong and Mee Rebus shots though.

Quote Originally Posted by mjjphoto
    heh...where's his stall?!!!
    hehe i was wondering the same too

but i must say the shots r great

bro, hijack ur thread a little.

Long Tong

Tao Suan

Kueh

Sweet Potato

Wah lao....on diet lah...see already must go to the 24 hours coffeeshop liao....

You guys very bad at tempting us with pics of food at such late hours....

Good shots you have...almost can smell it coming out of my notebook screen. heh heh...

AJ23

I really like ur kueh shot - the light coming from below the kueh really gives it the 3-D effect. how did u get the lights to shine below the kueh?

SShhhhhh, trade secret.

*spot light shining from below through a transparent glass plate*

Wah liao... seeing all these makes me hungry!

Hi guys and gals!

thanks for the comments. My uncle's shop not opened yet but it would be on Smith Street. It would be called "Old Lady" =)

Shots these pics with AJ23 at my parents place. Basically, we used a halogen bulb, laces, banana leaf, Nikon falshes, Canon flashes, my "baby" lumniquest softbox...errr what else aj23?

Anyway, we wollaped the food after the shoot! Quite hungry and shag. Shot from 630-1030pm!

A

Still got long lense, wide angle lense, portrait lense, umbilical cables, stones and soccer!

That's one thing I like about food photography....but for those professional shots...after messing around with the food...you know it has become inedible!

Things used in food photography: dry ice (to simulate steam), varnish spray, to give food the gloss, glue...sometimes to make sure things stay in place...

And the most difficult thing to take for food photography: ice cream!!!

Anyway...your shots were great...has the ability to cause saliva to drip!

Wha lau. This is bad for me man. Food shots! GAH!! Now i'm so hungry! And it's because of you, iamasaint!! GAH!!!!!!!

But i like them shots.

Wahhhh
    Makan lah
    like makan sutra pictures
    Makan makan
    10-20,18-70,18-200,50,80-200,70-300

OMG.. i'm starving...

Lovely! I don't mind that they're a little more creative than the usual foodcourt style ones. These will certainly make people do double or triple takes! Could you share some information on the lenses used, film, flash setup, etc? TIA.

Hi all,

the setup used that day was as follows:

My shots were taken with Canon's 10D and either a 100mm macro or the 17-40 f4 L lens. I used a 550EX flash with the stroboframe bracket and the off shoe cord 2. There were a few occassion, when my assista... I mean wife, helped to aim the flash from a distance above to give a better spread of light. I also attached a lumniquest softbox for flash (Medium size...I think). I bought this at $54 from Cathay.

Other lightings came from a halogen bulb clipped to a pole and aimed at the food from an angle. There was also ambient halogen light from the house's lights (my parents place).

Looking back now, I have come to realise that food shots look better when done artistically (that is...an unsual composition...or at least those normally found in cookbook instead of food court ) The colors of the food will help a lot too. A colorful pastry or dish goes well with a white background and if the food is plain (for example...curry puff) , use green leafs or other colorful props.

Always, try to invoke as many sense as possible when taking food pics. Besides visuals, try and see if we can achieve touch/feel (eg...show the steam from the food. This I failed to do.). It would also be good if we can even acive taste. A spicy hot red dish when enhanced should convey that message for example or even the coconut milk in the deserts.

Do hope this helps. Cheers

Just in case anyone is also interested, my shots are done with D100 with SB-80DX attached to SC-17. Lenses used are 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 and 70-200mm f/2.8 with 25mm extension tube.

Flash is used with diffuser dome, on D-TTL with + or - flash compensation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast