Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: anyone bought the E-1

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    With some (not all) lenses, an MTF chart can indicate the potential for very nice bokeh when you shoot the lens wide open if the paired lines on the graph track very closely.
    I get this idea that you are quite a fan of the Olympus E1. So let me also point out that I too am a fan, and on at least two posts in this forum if not a lot more, I have said I think it's an excellent idea. This stretches back several months at least.

But I have to ask you more about your statement that MTF tells you about potential for nice bokeh.

Firstly, if it only applies to some "(not all)" lenses, how do you know when it will work and when it won't work? That's like saying, in some situations it may tell you that the apple has gone bad, but it won't tell you in others. Which still means that you are no closer to knowing for definite if a specific apple is bad or not.

Secondly, your original statement was, "MTF charts... tell you... The bokeh quality of the lens." That's slightly different from your changed position that in some situations that can indicate potential... so which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    I get this idea that you are quite a fan of the Olympus E1. So let me also point out that I too am a fan, and on at least two posts in this forum if not a lot more, I have said I think it's an excellent idea. This stretches back several months at least.

But I have to ask you more about your statement that MTF tells you about potential for nice bokeh.

Firstly, if it only applies to some "(not all)" lenses, how do you know when it will work and when it won't work? That's like saying, in some situations it may tell you that the apple has gone bad, but it won't tell you in others. Which still means that you are no closer to knowing for definite if a specific apple is bad or not.

Secondly, your original statement was, "MTF charts... tell you... The bokeh quality of the lens." That's slightly different from your changed position that in some situations that can indicate potential... so which is it?
    Jed, I do see what you mean. The original statement is definitely an overstatement which I have no right to utter given the fact that I am not an optical engineer.

Second, as to how do I know when this will hold true or not, guess what? I don't. This was theory stated to me by an Olympus engineer who designed a few of their Zuikos of the past, and who's now involved with the E-1. I have access because I am their regional contractor for the E-1.

If you're after a technical explanation with an exact Physics explanation, that's WAY beyond me. However, I have actually tested the veracity of what was told to me and it seems to be true, and here's the caveat: for the lenses I have tested.

I have uploaded several pics snapped with the 50mm Zuiko Digital to my server. Drop me an email and I will send you the links. They are straight from the camera, warts and all. I am not posting the links here because I don't want the server to be hit severely since the files are large and because I have a finite daily bandwidth which I still reserve for my clients.

Just to further the point: The 14-54 has less good bokeh at wide open, esp. at the corners, at the 14mm setting, than at full 54mm, across the frame. If you look at the MTF chart for this lens, again, the theory holds true. The paired curves for sharpness and contrast splits off about halfway across the measured height of the image, and guess what, that's where I see a definite double lined bokeh clearly. Am I seeing things? Literally, in the right way, yes. FWIW, it's as good bokeh-wise, as I have seen with any top flight lens.

Lastly, closely tracked pair lines behaviour will indicate potential for smooth out of focus areas, but they don't say anything about the actual look of the out of focus areas - you'd have to actually shoot with the lens to find out. There is actually a vocabulary of sorts in Japanese to describe the 'style' or character of the bokeh. I think once you get to that level, it does fall somewhat into the territory of subjective description. As mentioned earlier up the thread, there is also the other issue of how the bokeh could change in appearance when you stop the lens down.

Am I a fan of Olympus? Put it this way, I am both a hack and definitely a fan, yes. (The latter not because of the former)
    Last edited by kahheng; 31st October 2003 at 09:44 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123