Thread: Badly taken scenary pics.

Unhappy Badly taken scenary pics.

I've some badly taken landscape pictures of some places in Singapore. They're lifeless, plain & looks damn ordinary. I hope you guys can gimmie some advice on how I can take better looking scenary shots. Here they are...

A pond at the Botanic Garden

Bukit Timah Hill

A big tree at Botanic Garden

A rain shelter at Botanic Garden

A historical structure by the Singapore River

This is taken at Pasir Ris. Actually, I kinda like this one. Gives me a soothing feeling, like you're resting under a coconut tree on a warm sunny day. What do you think?

All your helpful comments are appreciated! Oh... and by the way, I'm using a Fuji S602Z.

landscape photography depends alot on the quality of the light.

if there isnt, then there is nothing much u can do about it

can try to use some creative filters lor

i've done some saturation and curves with one of your image.
    can others comment if it looks better?

Quote Originally Posted by MaGixShOe
    landscape photography depends alot on the quality of the light.

if there isnt, then there is nothing much u can do about it

can try to use some creative filters lor
    So what kinda light is good for landscape photography? Most of the pics here were taken at a cloudly noon. Some haze in the Bukit Timah shots though.

And what kinda filters can I use?

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    i've done some saturation and curves with one of your image.
    can others comment if it looks better?
    Eh... it's a bit dark isn't it?

I guess I can use photoshop to make my pics look slightly better. But I'm hoping to take good photos without much alteration. Because sometimes the photo can be so badly taken, even photoshop couldn't bring it back to life.

Anymore improvements I can make at all?

i like the orig photo with the fence thing in the foreground. but i also like the dark slightly sinister look of the psed version. i think some of the problem lies in your subjects - there is simply too much green and the green is not rich enough. not sure how to remedy the situation tho

ibika
    Guests

... I've got lots to share if you're using film base cameras.. well, you are on digital.. so, I think the time of the day nor filters will 'improve' you shots.. You should infact learn more (much...) on photoshop.. that, I think will help you to get what you really want.. Got a friend, professional photographer.. he told me that, just go ahead and shoot... dun worry so much! Bad light, good light, juz shoot... you can still bring the pics out in photoshop... So, there you go, spend some more time in photoshop lah

Have u consider to take scenery shot in the morning and evening time ? I guess the shots will turn out much better ....
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

There is a factor called 'dynamic range' - it refers to the maximum range your film/sensor can handle from darkest to lightest, conventionally measured in 'stops'.

In all your posted pictures, the sky is completely blown out, bcoz the sky is simply too much brighter than the scenery. Waiting for a time of the day where both sky and ground can be captured (ie early morning, late afternoon) will produce better looking skies.

Film and slides have higher dynamic range and will generally give you better (idiot-proof) scenery pictures. Partly bcoz digital sensors blow out completely when too bright while film/slides have a more graduated 'blow out' effect.

The second picture has some contrast degradation due to flare - problem the sun striking the lens directly even though it is outside the frame. Using your hand as a hood to shade the lens will give you a better picture. In fact, you should always look out for any light sources (outside the frame) striking the lens directly and shield it if possible.

Composition-wise, can try moving closer. For example, in the second picture, having the fence very close (and in sharp focus!) would produce a much strong feeling of depth. Also look out for the small details. Like the chopped off bench and statues in the 3rd and 4th - are they deliberate? Looks distracting and a bit messy to me.

And yes, pick up some basic photo editing skills. Very important.
    Last edited by ST1100; 30th October 2003 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr|ever
    So what kinda light is good for landscape photography? Most of the pics here were taken at a cloudly noon. Some haze in the Bukit Timah shots though.

And what kinda filters can I use?

a cir-polariser and Grad ND will work well for the 1st few shots, but it will be better if u take them in the morning or late afternoon where the quality of light is usually better.

These pics are taken in at around noon time. Yeah, I suppose they'll be better if it's taken in the morning or evening...

Eh, not that I dowan to use photoshop leh. But if you want me to "juz take & dun care", then I guess I'm not learning much about photography, but on photoshop instead. Me hoping to learn to take good photos, at least without much alteration. But I'll definately not hesistate to do some PS touch up if it can improve me pics!

Dynamic range? Hmm... is there any way to "increase" the dynamic range for my digicam? I suppose I can't do much about this right?

Those "chopped off" in some of my pics are there cos I wanna exclude other unwanted objects in my pics.