Thread: newbie buying filter..

Default newbie buying filter..

I just got myself a D80 kit that comes with 18-70mm lense...read from this forum that a filter can help to protect the lense from scratch. i'm going to MS Color later to get myself a digi cabi so intend to get a filter as well..Can someone recommend me a UV filter for my lense..? and what will be the price of the filter? i don't want to pay more for something that worth less...

Default Re: newbie buying filter..

Quote Originally Posted by sonique View Post
    I just got myself a D80 kit that comes with 18-70mm lense...read from this forum that a filter can help to protect the lense from scratch. i'm going to MS Color later to get myself a digi cabi so intend to get a filter as well..Can someone recommend me a UV filter for my lense..? and what will be the price of the filter? i don't want to pay more for something that worth less...
    Being careful helps as well and it only costs a bit of alertness
    Important is the diameter and the coating. The diameter is sometimes marked somewhere around the front element. Every filter with the same diameter will fit. Multi-Coating is recommended, but will not protect you from getting ghosting and flares under certain conditions. So read up about these topics to see when it's best to remove a filter. Recommended brands are Hoya and Kenko, if you got the money have a look at B+W.
    For prices you can check the Filter Price List in Equipment section. The prices are quite constant, not much changes over the time. In additoon check the Mass Orders and Mass Sales in Marketplace for recent prices. Shop prices will be slightly above.

I would recommend a Hoya HMC filter and I use them myself. It is good enough and yet not too expensive. The only thing about HMC filters are that they could be harder to clean.

Just a quick check ziploc, how much did you get yours for?

You're probably safe at MS. There are various grade of Hoya filters:

Uncoated
    UV Coated
    HMC
    SHMC
    Pro1D etc...

Quote Originally Posted by radiac View Post
    Just a quick check ziploc, how much did you get yours for?
    Please check the filter price list here.

Ya i saw that before.. anyway thanks.. I already gotten my HMC from CP a few days back. $28 for 58mm.. and the price list states $25 but well its quite an old list already so i wasn't sure what's the current market price

Yes the list is meant for reference only and won't be exact. This is true even if the list is up-to-date, due to factors like bargaining, different sales person, etc. If you ask me it is even worse, not only it would be outdated, but I won't be able to recall exactly as I have quite a few of them in different sizes.