Thread: Sigma or Tokina ?

Default Sigma or Tokina ?

I am thinking of buying either the Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 ATX Pro ( 5 star lens ? ) or the Sigma 28-70 f.2.8 EX.

Any opinions which one is optically better ? Apparently the Tokina has won some award ( very visible on the box ) as a 5 star lens. But when I checked the Photodo website, found that the Sigma has much better MTF score. Any personal experiences with these lenses to share ? In fact, when I started researching the Sigma, I found there is another one, 24-70 f2.8, better zoom range, but no MTF record in Photodo, so dunno how it is.

My main criteria for selection is SHARPNESS !

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyblade
    I am thinking of buying either the Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 ATX Pro ( 5 star lens ? ) or the Sigma 28-70 f.2.8 EX.

Any opinions which one is optically better ? Apparently the Tokina has won some award ( very visible on the box ) as a 5 star lens. But when I checked the Photodo website, found that the Sigma has much better MTF score. Any personal experiences with these lenses to share ? In fact, when I started researching the Sigma, I found there is another one, 24-70 f2.8, better zoom range, but no MTF record in Photodo, so dunno how it is.

Thanks.

I'm quite a newbie and am in no position to tell you about quality. But then when I bought my Sigma lens, alot of nice people advised me and I pass the advises down to you:

-Reviews are only what people think and are very subjective.
    -Awards are some publicity and promotional stunt
    -Go try out both lens for handling and take same pictures with the lenses (take alot, free one), then go home and blow up the images on your PC (DSLR that is) and compare the quality.
    -Different lenses may have different good points, you need to gauge which will suit your needs.
    -Cost versus what you are getting.

Yeah, many nice people's golden words and now I'm so happy with my lens.......

Hope it helps

Thanks.

can consider the tamron 28-75 f2.8 also..sharpness and contrast is definitely there

Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 ATX Pro is no longer in production.... its replaced by Tokina 28-70 2.8 ATX 287 Pro SV. Which is lighter but same in image quality. Apparantly the Sigma has better rating but I did not like the handling. The Sigma twist while doing AF which I didn't like.

hope this helps....

The supposedly top lens for tokina is the 28-70 ATX Pro 1 & Pro II f2.6-2.8... however, as mentioned by zplus, is no longer in production (don't bother to find as i tried unless you want 2nd hand).

I bought the 28-80 ATX f2.8 instead as i understand that the newer model, 28-80 ATX Pro SV is considerably lighter and slightly inferior in the the image. From my personal opinion, the 28-80 is very sharp and fast in the autofocussing and thus is a very good buy. If you wish to buy tokina, try and ask around, i believe MS Color or Alan Photo can quote you cheaper if they have the lens.

As for Sigma, so far no one i know have that lens... Another consideration is the Nikon 24-120 VR , shd costs abt 900+ , but have VR and thus worth considering.

Do try out the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Di lens

its cheap, light and sharp

it handles well and built quality is good

Was in the same dilemma as u r in a week ago. Needed a lens with a similar zoom range. Had read so many reviews with conflicting opinions that I became even more confused then when I had first started out. As suggested my a fellow forumer, I decided to go to a camera shop to try the lenses out personally. Went down to CP one day and tried out both Tokina (AF 28-80mm f/2.8 AT-X 280AF Pro) and Tamron (AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di). Really love the build of the Tokina better than the Tamron. Autofocusing speed on both seem rather decent and comparable to me. Another point to note is that the physical lengths of both Sigma (28-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DF) and Tamron changes across the zoom range, while for the Tokina, only the glass elements in the barrel moves back or forth. I personally am favouring the Tokina, but do go down to the shops, do your own tests and make your own choice.

Below's the e-quotes I got. They are a couple of weeks old.

CP (b4 GST)
    Tokina AF 28-80mm f/2.8 AT-X 280AF Pro S$828.00
    Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di S$640.00

MS (GSTed)
    Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DF $645
    Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF $699

AP (b4 GST)
    Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DF $530.00
    Last edited by Noir; 26th October 2003 at 07:56 AM.

WOW ! Thank you sooo much for all the replies. Will be chewing on them for a while b4 coming down to S'pore to have a look ( I'm from M'sia ). The prices do seem to be cheaper in S'pore and the diff is enough to warrant coming down ( especially since can also holiday with family at the same time... ). By the way what does AP stand for and where is it. TQ again.

AP = Alan Photo @ Sim Lim SQ #01-38

MS = MS Color @ Blk 711 Ang Mo Kio Central 8 #01-3501C

CP = Cathay Photo @ Peninsula Plaza #01-11/14

WOW ! Thank you sooo much for all the replies. Will be chewing on them for a while b4 coming down to S'pore to have a look ( I'm from M'sia ). The prices do seem to be cheaper in S'pore and the diff is enough to warrant coming down ( especially since can also holiday with family at the same time... ). By the way what does AP stand for and where is it. TQ again.

Fwah, I still had the intention of going MS next time to buy stuff. But then now change my mind since got 'insider' info that Singapore cheaper Heng ah!

Hi guys,

sorry OT a bit. How does a canon 28-105 USM II lens compare to the lenses mentioned here in terms of sharpness and contrast?
    it cost about the same or slightly cheaper rite?