Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Ring light user come in...

  1. #1

    Default Ring light user come in...

    Dunno if I shld ask this here...?

    Any one uses ring light to shoot portraits?
    Whats the effect of ring light compare to flash?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Ring light user come in...

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiichi View Post
    Dunno if I shld ask this here...?

    Any one uses ring light to shoot portraits?
    Whats the effect of ring light compare to flash?
    With a ring light, you get a pronounced "ring" catchlight in the subject's eyes (provided their eyes reflect the ring light).

  3. #3
    Member sprewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Serangoon Central
    Posts
    1,723

    Default Re: Ring light user come in...

    not only that, it produces a soft shadowless 'glow' on your subject with a distinctive shadow around the subject.

    kinda out-of-fashion lighting if you ask me.

    it is also very popular in sleazy mags like FHM, Maxim because of the 'glow'
    Hasselblad 503CW | 100mm f/3.5 CF | Contax 645 | Zeiss 80mm f/2 | Website

  4. #4
    Senior Member engrmariano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rivervale
    Posts
    3,532

    Default Re: Ring light user come in...


  5. #5

    Default Re: Ring light user come in...

    I saw in the Singapore F1 2009 commercial that the pros are using ring lights for portrait...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Ring light user come in...

    Erm, this is more of a lighting technique qns rather than brand specific qns..

  7. #7

    Default Re: Ring light user come in...

    Quote Originally Posted by sprewell View Post
    not only that, it produces a soft shadowless 'glow' on your subject with a distinctive shadow around the subject.

    kinda out-of-fashion lighting if you ask me.

    it is also very popular in sleazy mags like FHM, Maxim because of the 'glow'
    that is why maxim is dead..

  8. #8

    Default Re: Ring light user come in...

    i maybe wrong but ring lights are still used a lot by many contemporary photogs. Annie, dave hill.. the glow isn't exactly "dated" its pretty good at getting rid of wierd shadows in the face, but it has to be used to compliment a couple more lights.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Ring light user come in...

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    Erm, this is more of a lighting technique qns rather than brand specific qns..
    Hi bro, would u like to share some techniques on using a ring light for different theme?
    Quite new to DSLR... thx

  10. #10

    Default Re: Ring light user come in...

    Check out glenn's post here : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492887
    Look for post #11, he uses a ring flash in that picture.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Ring light user come in...

    Another picture you can refer to, click on this link, select 'Editorial' and scroll to the 9th picture, it was shot by a ring flash.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Ring light user come in...

    Quote Originally Posted by afiend View Post
    Check out glenn's post here : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492887
    Look for post #11, he uses a ring flash in that picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by afiend View Post
    Another picture you can refer to, click on this link, select 'Editorial' and scroll to the 9th picture, it was shot by a ring flash.
    That helps alot bro... thx

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •