Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed: Model friend cheated of her fees

Default Advice needed: Model friend cheated of her fees

Pardon me if this is posted in the wrong section, let me know and I shall move it...

A part-time model friend had agreed to help a former classmate who is a budding designer to model his outfit for a photoshoot. The shots are for a spread in a local mag scheduled for April release.

As her main concern was to help her friend out, she didn't think much about the fee promised her ($100) stipulated in an email along with the location of the shoot.

On location, she was handed a rather pricey "branded" pair of shoes to go along with the outfit. After trying on, she told the director that ankle straps were tight but the assistant director insisted on tightening the straps snugly and proceeded to pull the strap himself.

No prizes for guessing, the strap broke and they had to find another pair of shoes to proceed.

Here comes the good part...

Two days later, my friend got an email from the director stating they refusing to pay her because of the damage to the shoes. I mean, she didn't even touch the strap that broke! She replied as such via email, but they were firm in denying her the fees.

After recounting the story to me, I told her that since she didn't sign any model release, wait till the shots are published then sue their pants off! But she's afraid it might 'sabo' her designer friend...

Please share your thoughts on this.

Default Re: Advice needed: Model friend cheated of her fees

Did the designer fren do anything at all after that? Apologize, pay her through his pocket, fight to get the fees for her etc?

If not still want to care about his well being?

vince123123
    Guests

Sorry, in Singapore, model releases are suspect at best - hence I won't wait until publication before taking action.

If I were you, I'll gather evidence of the transaction, and the fees agreed. Tell them that if they don't pay up, the next step will be publication on the internet. If that still doesn't work, then go to Small Claims and seize their property

Name the magazine, name everyone involved

Quote Originally Posted by eddymerckx View Post
    Pardon me if this is posted in the wrong section, let me know and I shall move it...

A part-time model friend had agreed to help a former classmate who is a budding designer to model his outfit for a photoshoot. The shots are for a spread in a local mag scheduled for April release.

As her main concern was to help her friend out, she didn't think much about the fee promised her ($100) stipulated in an email along with the location of the shoot.

On location, she was handed a rather pricey "branded" pair of shoes to go along with the outfit. After trying on, she told the director that ankle straps were tight but the assistant director insisted on tightening the straps snugly and proceeded to pull the strap himself.

No prizes for guessing, the strap broke and they had to find another pair of shoes to proceed.

Here comes the good part...

Two days later, my friend got an email from the director stating they refusing to pay her because of the damage to the shoes. I mean, she didn't even touch the strap that broke! She replied as such via email, but they were firm in denying her the fees.

After recounting the story to me, I told her that since she didn't sign any model release, wait till the shots are published then sue their pants off! But she's afraid it might 'sabo' her designer friend...

Please share your thoughts on this.

Hi there
    I'm in these line for 20 years now on my own n have shoot for magazine fashion, commercial etc and also work as an inhouse photog for years, my advice is straight to e point, for this case if anything damaged it's e stylist responsibility cos he's e one who borrow products from client so he must return in good condition. The model responsibilities is to be corperative n good attitude that's all nothing else. The director is just trying to pull a fast one, if they published her photo without paying her it means it's without her consent cos they have not come to terms n with e email n her pic in mag she can go small claims. Next time advice ur friend to be careful as there are many con agency out there n pls read e contract properly. Hope this helps all e best

Quote Originally Posted by AB5577 View Post
    Hi there
    I'm in these line for 20 years now on my own n have shoot for magazine fashion, commercial etc and also work as an inhouse photog for years, my advice is straight to e point, for this case if anything damaged it's e stylist responsibility cos he's e one who borrow products from client so he must return in good condition. The model responsibilities is to be corperative n good attitude that's all nothing else. The director is just trying to pull a fast one, if they published her photo without paying her it means it's without her consent cos they have not come to terms n with e email n her pic in mag she can go small claims. Next time advice ur friend to be careful as there are many con agency out there n pls read e contract properly. Hope this helps all e best

Hi there
    fully agree. the stylist is the one that is gonna get it from those ppl who loan him/her the items. he/she shld have been the one managing the clothes in the first place.

Hi there
    Sure, especially those wannabe type of model, whereby ad agency, publishing/production house would like to gobble them up. It's like, you don't want, there are que down the road.

So now stand whether that so called " designer friend " is really a friend, take a good lesson.
    As a saying goes...your best friend might...

See it on both light...a $100/= can easily be waive off OR could land somenone getting seriously burnt.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 26th March 2009 at 03:15 PM.

For a $100, I will jsut walk away. Is all the trouble worth it?

Now, if the model wants to do anything, it is the photographer she should go after. And if she is going to do that, go for blood. The photographer is at fault for not paying, eventhough the stylist is responsible for the shoes.

next time, when you want to do something for a friend, why charge?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    For a $100, I will jsut walk away. Is all the trouble worth it?

Now, if the model wants to do anything, it is the photographer she should go after. And if she is going to do that, go for blood. The photographer is at fault for not paying, eventhough the stylist is responsible for the shoes.

next time, when you want to do something for a friend, why charge?
    Agree*

Was wondering why you wanted to be paid when you mention you are helping your friend. Normally a treat isnt good enough?

Or you trying tell us your friend is worth $100? =X jkjk

On second thought, your model friend might have gain instead of lose.
    It's like that " half glass empty or half glass filled " philosophy, think on the brighter side.

Gain....

* Get to understand the darkside of this trade where she is about to enter.
    * That friend can sometimes betray you, when you need them most.
    * Promises can be broken.
    * Had a hands on experience on real life modelling for product.
    * Wait for the magazine to be published, get hold a few copies, make a tear sheet of the works featured and have it laminated. Use it as part of portfolio for next interview/resume and maybe can demand a higher fee thereby cover up this current lost.
    * At least get your work published in a mag, better than TFCD.

Lost....

* A meagre sum of $100/=
    * A so called " friend ".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post

Lost....

* A meagre sum of $100/=
    * A so called " friend ".
    i would consider that a gain instead

for a meagre sum of $100
    she got to know the true colours of that "friend"

Well take it as experience, at least it is just unpleasant one and not involving anybody getting really hurt.
    Like ortega said, now you know who is your friend, but let your friend know about it.
    If your friend is on defensive, just tell that you will remember this, and remind her about reputation.

Some tips that you can smell a con-plot is on its way.... ( disregard who says it, the intention/motive is still the same....to "rob" you. )

Here goes....

*I've got a big job coming, will elevate me to int'l fame, but I need your help...sound like a golden opportunity ?

* We'll not just work on this time only, I have got plenty of assignment for you, more than you could handle, you'll be famous in no time, so in terms of long time working relationship, give me your best quote...actually he want it to be FREE. Sounds familiar ?

* Now, see, here is the list of jobs I'm thinking/considering of using your service, bcoz you're good, so think about it, and come back to me. Sounds like there are people out there can't wait to take your place.

* Oh. don't worry about payment, we pay promptly to all our service provider, the most is 30 days, but sometimes our accounts might be too busy, let me know and I'll get it process for you. This is already too common trick.

* Ah, I didn't receive your invoice, when did you send ? Let me check with accounts first and I'll come back to you. Actually it is already 90 days gone.

* Someone is giving us a better quote than yours, are you still keen, would you like to revise your quote ? It means, take it or leave it.

* Oh, very easy job, just simple posing ( for model ), one shot only ( for photographer ) straight forward one, maybe take less than an hour, how ? Interested ?

* This one is for the media you know, thousands of people will get to see you, want this job or not ?

* Oh, money is no problem ( another commonly used trick, actually it is the main problem and the root too.)

* My boss is busy lately, I'll get him to sign the cheque.

* My accounts is on leave/ maternity leave is even longer ( four months) is hinting you to wait long long.

* My boss is out station/ reservist/ giving birth/ injured his right hand cannot sign cheque for a moment.

* Hey, my client said your performance/ photo seems to be NOT SO GOOD as expected, ( this is BAD sign, hinting that you might not get paid at all, the situation will turn from sour to rotten.)

* How can we pay you when we can't use your work ? ( Getting nasty and face off )

Keep all this in mind, when you next hear something similar...Good Luck.

Anybody would like to add on are welcome...
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 30th March 2009 at 02:15 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

All I can say, Small Claims Tribunal is your best friend

The friends should help her get paid instead of letting her kena cheated for a broken straps. Her friend can be witness and help her.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    All I can say, Small Claims Tribunal is your best friend
    Yes and No, just like CASE, or MP in your constitutuency. If you had ever,seek advice or had approached them to assist in any matters, you will understand my meaning of YES and NO.

vince123123
    Guests

CASE has no legal powers to compel adherence.

SCT has. Care to share what problems you encountered with them? Have you actually went all the way before? ie, obtaining judgment, getting bailiff, seizing goods, auctioning, and then getting your money?

Yes and No, just like CASE, or MP in your constitutuency. If you had ever,seek advice or had approached them to assist in any matters, you will understand my meaning of YES and NO.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i would consider that a gain instead

for a meagre sum of $100
    she got to know the true colours of that "friend"
    Good way to look at this, a $100 well invested.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    CASE has no legal powers to compel adherence.

SCT has. Care to share what problems you encountered with them? Have you actually went all the way before? ie, obtaining judgment, getting bailiff, seizing goods, auctioning, and then getting your money?
    Not to the extend of seizing goods and all that, not looking at a five figure sum, however, the client did pay up but relationship severed.
    I could tolerate delayed and/or slow payment, but not reluctant or refused to pay.
    So far, only two such incident, considered not too bad. Having none is the best.

vince123123
    Guests

So that means going to SCT worked. I don't see how it means "NO" in that case.

Not to the extend of seizing goods and all that, not looking at a five figure sum, however, the client did pay up but relationship severed.
    I could tolerate delayed and/or slow payment, but not reluctant or refused to pay.
    So far, only two such incident, considered not too bad. Having none is the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast