Thread: Purpose for Colour Diffuser

Default Purpose for Colour Diffuser

Hi,

I am a newie, recently i just purchase some pop up flash colour diffuser (White, Blue and Yellow).
    What is the purpose of the blue and yellow diffuser?
    When will i need to use the blue or yellow diffuser?

Can someone help me on the above questions?

Default Re: Purpose for Colour Diffuser

hi

i may be wrong but i believe the colored diffuser is used to match the ambient lighting.

Cheers
    shaz
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

I think it is more for old school film day to compensate white balance, not so relevant now.

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    I think it is more for old school film day to compensate white balance, not so relevant now.
    Not true. If you shoot in tungsten lighting, for instance, your flash still fires at 6,000K, so you need a coloured diffuser or coloured gel to bring the flash's colour temperature to that of the ambient lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Not true. If you shoot in tungsten lighting, for instance, your flash still fires at 6,000K, so you need a coloured diffuser or coloured gel to bring the flash's colour temperature to that of the ambient lighting.
    Yes... it helps balance the light properly even in DSLR situations...

here's one example which I shot for fun.

I set my camera to tungsten WB and shot using a tungsten balanced flash. Here's the result

The whole scene is now balanced for tungsten and is now treated with a bluish cast. But the subjects here, the swans are illuminated by the tungsten balanced flash light and is correctly balanced (i.e. white)
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

they can help give you creative shots too...
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

so other than for creative shot purpose, it dun have more practical usage???

Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    hi

i may be wrong but i believe the colored diffuser is used to match the ambient lighting.

Cheers
    shaz
    Hi GoheadGostern,

Can u explain in which colour of diffuser to match what kinfd of ambient lighting???
    Sorry I am really new in photography...

Quote Originally Posted by hx632 View Post
    Hi GoheadGostern,

Can u explain in which colour of diffuser to match what kinfd of ambient lighting???
    Sorry I am really new in photography...
    Go read up on gelling the light sources to match the ambient lighting...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

so other than for creative shot purpose, it dun have more practical usage???
    Didn't you read these posts?

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Yes... it helps balance the light properly even in DSLR situations...

here's one example which I shot for fun.

I set my camera to tungsten WB and shot using a tungsten balanced flash. Here's the result

The whole scene is now balanced for tungsten and is now treated with a bluish cast. But the subjects here, the swans are illuminated by the tungsten balanced flash light and is correctly balanced (i.e. white)

Didn't you read these posts?
    Thanks calebk... bsmilie:
    I did read those posts but dont understand....

Thanks calebk... bsmilie:
    I did read those posts but dont understand....
    Here's a scenario to help you understand...

Let's say you are taking photos for a wedding dinner in a hotel ballroom. Most hotel ballroom lights are warm, so let's just assume that it is tungsten. However, the hotel ballroom lights are insufficient to take group shots and you need to use a flash. The flash light is normally around 5500k, so lets say that it is white. When you take a group shot, with a flash, you find that the people whom your flash light hits has normal skin tones (WB: flash), but some distance in the background, you realize that the the skin tones for background people is very warm and orangy. So...

1. People who are lit by the light from the flash has ok skin tones (WB: flash).
    2. People who are not lit by the light from the flash but by the hotel ballroom's tungsten lighting (and WB is still on flash) gets orangy skin tones.

The solution here is to make the light from the flash the same color as the light in the ballroom (i.e. tungsten) by putting an orangy gel in front of the flash light, then set the WB to tungsten, and wah lah! When you take the pictures, you get a consistent color throughout!

Hope this helps
    Last edited by geraldkhoo; 28th March 2009 at 09:06 AM.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    Here's a scenario to help you understand...

Let's say you are taking photos for a wedding dinner in a hotel ballroom. Most hotel ballroom lights are warm, so let's just assume that it is tungsten. However, the hotel ballroom lights are insufficient to take group shots and you need to use a flash. The flash light is normally around 5500k, so lets say that it is white. When you take a group shot, with a flash, you find that the people whom your flash light hits has normal skin tones (WB: flash), but some distance in the background, you realize that the the skin tones for background people is very warm and orangy. So...

1. People who are lit by the light from the flash has ok skin tones (WB: flash).
    2. People who are not lit by the light from the flash but by the hotel ballroom's tungsten lighting (and WB is still on flash) gets orangy skin tones.

The solution here is to make the light from the flash the same color as the light in the ballroom (i.e. tungsten) by putting an orangy gel in front of the flash light, then set the WB to tungsten, and wah lah! When you take the pictures, you get a consistent color throughout!

Hope this helps

Thanks geraldkhoo....
    It really help me to understand..