Thread: Samurai X!!!

Default Samurai X!!!

just want to share this few pix of anime action figures.
    collection of my girlfriend..just try to do a still life shot..

CnC are very much welcome...

Default Re: Samurai X!!!

Since it's miniature figurine, I suggest you can try doing some light painting work using those focusing maglite to produce more dramatic effect.
    So far, your series of works, the lighting effect are steoreotyped.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Since it's miniature figurine, I suggest you can try doing some light painting work using those focusing maglite to produce more dramatic effect.
    So far, your series of works, the lighting effect are steoreotyped.
    tnx bro for the comment..noted..
    whats maglite? how to do that light painting work? sirry newbie in this field..

Currently your lighting set up is like those newspaper spread of today's offer item.
    Set up the light, put on the item, shoot...next.

With the light painting method plus some inspiration, you can get many hours of exciting photography and the result will be rewarding.

From those camping store, like in peninsula plaza or beach road army supply stall you can find those focusing type of torch lite. One power led type is best, also get some with multi led. To give your figurine more setup/backgrd. Go to art/handicraft supply store like Bras Basah complex. Take your time browse around and when you discover something interesting, always associate it with your subject as the main focus, e.g. whether this miniature rock can add interest, or that modelling tree or bushes will be better.
    Get also a laser pointer for that laser gun effect, some colour gel will come in useful. Black art paper to DIY a snoot for your torchlite. Corrugated white diffuser board/sheet to produce soft box effect. A piece of tinted or clear glass for base in some cases. Some very fine sand, stone pebbles. etc. A goose neck stand to clamp your light. For smoke effect, buy "kambun" incense from market stall selling joss paper and also a tray for that incense.
    Don't ever use charcoal for smoke, I almost get myself killed the last, coz charcoal suck up oxygen, especially in enclosed space.
    See, all these stuff will keep you busy at least for a few days, for you are going to create a miniature set/stage for your main subject.

mag lite or LED torches, beach road has plenty of variations.

Sorry, owe you an explanation on light painting. This is a brief explanation.
    Like normal painting, instead of using paint brush, here, the photographer use a light to go over ( like painting action ) the subject. The requirement is, this has got to be done in a dark/dim environment. The camera set on tripod, focused, aperture set, shutter to "B" or "T",
    turn off room light, then use a continuous light source, go over the subject part by part. When finished, closed shutter. Turn on room light. Picture done.

This method of photography can be used to shoot table top still life (like yours ), medium size product or even large size object like car or interiors of rooms etc.
    Much popular in the 80s. Even got pro fly down from US to give seminar and workshop.

A special pro gear ( a kind of fibre optic ) under the brand of Hose Master is sold by Cathay Photo, they comes in two version, miniature for table top and large hose for big object. ( No more available now )

Here, I'm suggesting using this powerful led torch lite which will also give a similar result when done properly and also much more cheaper.
    The unit that I'd used were not led bulb but hi power xenon bulb producing a warm colour. I cut a small piece of colour correction gel and tape over the lens of the torch, that solve the problem. But it also reduce the light intensity, so I'd got to paint more slowly ( i.e. giving the subject more light ). Same when using colour gel.

Hope you get an idea now. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Sorry, owe you an explanation on light painting. This is a brief explanation.
    Like normal painting, instead of using paint brush, here, the photographer use a light to go over ( like painting action ) the subject. The requirement is, this has got to be done in a dark/dim environment. The camera set on tripod, focused, aperture set, shutter to "B" or "T",
    turn off room light, then use a continuous light source, go over the subject part by part. When finished, closed shutter. Turn on room light. Picture done.

This method of photography can be used to shoot table top still life (like yours ), medium size product or even large size object like car or interiors of rooms etc.
    Much popular in the 80s. Even got pro fly down from US to give seminar and workshop.

A special pro gear ( a kind of fibre optic ) under the brand of Hose Master is sold by Cathay Photo, they comes in two version, miniature for table top and large hose for big object. ( No more available now )

Here, I'm suggesting using this powerful led torch lite which will also give a similar result when done properly and also much more cheaper.
    The unit that I'd used were not led bulb but hi power xenon bulb producing a warm colour. I cut a small piece of colour correction gel and tape over the lens of the torch, that solve the problem. But it also reduce the light intensity, so I'd got to paint more slowly ( i.e. giving the subject more light ). Same when using colour gel.

Hope you get an idea now. Cheers
    tnx bro for the tips..
    can u show me a photo using this light painting??

This was a few yrs ago when i did it will the mini torch.

Quote Originally Posted by buchokoy View Post
    tnx bro for the tips..
    can u show me a photo using this light painting??
    Sorry, I do not have ready sample, but perhaps some poster of this forum had tried.

Or like the sample posted by eugenep. Of course the result varies according to each photographer.

And one point, bcoz your subject is small, there will be lite spill from the torch, so one has to DIY a snoot/hood to narrow down the beam into a tiny spot. ( A kind like spot lite you seen on concert stage )

to make this you need... black art paper, silvery aluminium foil ( use for wrapping BBQ type ), double sided tape, black cloth tape, scissor or cutter. Cut art paper into conical shape, tape silver foil on one side, roll it up into a cone/funnel at the same time tailor fit according to your torch, turn on the lite and judge for yourself how does the lite effect on a piece of paper. Cut cloth tape and fix it. Make different sizes.

Turn off room light and start experimenting with your camera set on tripod and enjoy a new realm ( not so new actually ) of photography.

The plus point of this technique is... people cannot steal your exif and duplicate/copy, because it has got none, only the creator/photographer has it. And not affected by weather condition, cost of production is low. Limited only by your imagination.

Condition for good result ; preferred doing it at nite. wear a black/dark long sleeve shirt. When doing a large room, I wrap myself with black velvet cloth/cloak looking like a ninja, ( bcoz has to move around ).
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 27th March 2009 at 03:43 PM.