Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the photographer ?

Default Re: Who is the photographer ?

cannot use self timer?

art/photo/di/model = me
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I see a similarity to wedding pictures and other work where a person with a camera is hired to perform the job of taking pictures. Default: The person doing the job gets paid but has no copyrights about the pictures, they belong entirely to the person or company who ordered the job. Deviations from that require specific agreements.
    Mapped to this case: the person pressing the shutter is hired to perform the action, payment is agreed on zero. Mr. B agrees, performs the job and that's it. He doesn't acquire any right from his activity.
    Vince, where are you?
    This is the correct answer. If in doubt, consult the Singapore copyright law.

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    cannot use self timer?

art/photo/di/model = me
    lol
    Hi soeypixels,

In certain situation, cannot use self timer lah, such as when shooting a pistol. You want to capture yourself shooting and also the empty cart flying out

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    This is the correct answer. If in doubt, consult the Singapore copyright law.
    copyright rights issue resolved

now left with the credit part

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    copyright rights issue resolved

now left with the credit part
    the one with the copyright is the one with the credits lar.

no...waaaaait.....something not right...
    おれのflickrださ

Blog Entries

the copyright by default belongs to the person who took the picture (photographer)

unless he/she decides to sign it away
    it all depends on the contract/agreement with the client

so if there is no contract, the default takes effect

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    the one with the copyright is the one with the credits lar.

no...waaaaait.....something not right...
    ha ha ha, got you there !!

if the camera is belong to mr A, is a shame if mr B want the credit .....
    i always ask my asistant click the shutter for me on some product shoot, who care who press the button? it depend on who idea it belong to .....

Ha ha ha, thanks for all the comments / contributions. Amid the confusion, I think I will re-phase the question. Who gets the credit for the picture, Mr A - who does all the settings and pose for the camera, or Mr B, who just press the shutter release button ?
    What are credits? It's a mentioning of the owner of copyrights who has given the permission for a certain usage. Still there is no space for the "anonymous shutter-pressing guy". Unless Mr. A wants to highlight this as a comment in the caption like "taken by the help of John Doe.."
    Last edited by Octarine; 25th March 2009 at 05:57 PM.

why split ends?

do we need to be academic about such issue?

i mean, hope no one is going to court to dispute the definition (if any).

vince123123
    Guests

Did someone call me?

There's so much jumbled up issues in this thread I don't know which to answer. If you can pose the questions clearly, I'll try my best to answer.

I see a similarity to wedding pictures and other work where a person with a camera is hired to perform the job of taking pictures. Default: The person doing the job gets paid but has no copyrights about the pictures, they belong entirely to the person or company who ordered the job. Deviations from that require specific agreements.
    Mapped to this case: the person pressing the shutter is hired to perform the action, payment is agreed on zero. Mr. B agrees, performs the job and that's it. He doesn't acquire any right from his activity.
    Vince, where are you?

Ok, let's summarize the main points. Question One:
    A person (Mr A) wanted to be in the picture and set all the settings and mount the camera on the tripod. Then he just ask someone (Mr B) to press the shutter release. So in this case, who is the photographer ? Can Mr A claim that he took the picture ?
    I would add: Can Mr. B claim that he took the picture?
    Question Two:
    Who gets the credit for the picture, Mr A - who does all the settings and pose for the camera, or Mr B, who just press the shutter release button ?
    Although it all sounds a bit unlikely I guess Mr. M(urphy) makes sure it will happen some day somewhere.

Hi All,

Wonder if any of you had this though before.

A person (Mr A) wanted to be in the picture and set all the settings and mount the camera on the tripod. Then he just ask someone (Mr B) to press the shutter release. So in this case, who is the photographer ? Can Mr A claim that he took the picture ?

the photographer is the one who directly gains from the shoot, at least that is what i think.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

vince123123
    Guests

Are you trying to ask who owns copyright rather than who is the photographer? Who is the photographer is merely a factual question that has no purpose.

The photographer is whoever who makes the photograph, which can be the button presser, the arranger, the whoever. IT is so nebulous that any definition can work and has no conseuqence if you're not asking about copyright.

Ok, let's summarize the main points. Question One:

I would add: Can Mr. B claim that he took the picture?
    Question Two:

Although it all sounds a bit unlikely I guess Mr. M(urphy) makes sure it will happen some day somewhere.

copyrights and credits both...whose is whose.
    おれのflickrださ

lawl interesting question!
    had me stumped.
    I say use remote and take urself!
    Thats what I do for myself anyways.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the comments and contribution and sorry for the "silence" for these few hours. Was in training so no access to computer.

The thing is this. You are in a sport (high jump, range shooting, etc) where you can't use a remote or self timer. So you compose the picture, set everything up nicely, then get ready to get into action and ask a friend to press the shutter (on contiunous shoot) when you are in action.

Then you show others the pics. Then they exclaim "Great shots !! (assuming it is nicely taken) Who is the photographer ?"

Stuck here. How to answer ?

I personally feel the person to be considered the photographer to be the one who did most of the work.
    Eg. composing setting up bla bla bla.
    The person who pressed the shutter for you would be the assistant photographer

Let me throw a curve ball ...

I was once with an assistant and I was shooting a family.

Said family agreed to let me assistant shoot some for practise.

Along the way, one kid falls and starts crying. Mother goes to comfort kid and hugs kid.

My assistant stops shooting, and when i asked him to shoot, he didn't want, feeling it would be insensitive.

I literally 'ordered' him to shoot since he had my camera in hand, from what angle and told him to zoom in close etc.

1) Who owns the copyright and 2) who is considered the conceptualiser of that photo? Does the conceptualiser own the creative and copyrights, and the assistant considered to be just a mechanical means used to achieve the results of that photo, since he didn't want to shoot it in the first place, and was 'ordered' to?

Quote Originally Posted by tainted View Post
    I personally feel the person to be considered the photographer to be the one who did most of the work.
    Eg. composing setting up bla bla bla.
    The person who pressed the shutter for you would be the assistant photographer
    I share the same sentiments

What about other bros / sis here ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast