Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: how to store long telephoto lenses?

  1. #1

    Default how to store long telephoto lenses?

    Just wondering how you would keep those LONG telephoto lenses. Do you keep them in electronic humidity cabinets even if they are weather resistant?

  2. #2
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Red face Re: how to store long telephoto lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by rupernathan7 View Post
    Just wondering how you would keep those LONG telephoto lenses. Do you keep them in electronic humidity cabinets even if they are weather resistant?
    yup..cos sg climate hot n humid and might easy kena the unwanted fungus!!!

    U certainly dun want dat to happen to ur precious lens rite?

  3. #3
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: how to store long telephoto lenses?

    Being weather resistant has got nothing to do with fungus growing on the lenses.
    The humidity can still nurture the growth of fungus in the long run.

    Ryan

  4. #4

    Default Re: how to store long telephoto lenses?

    I keep mine in a Pelican case.
    Canon 40D|EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS|70-200mm L f/4 IS|50&85mm f/1.8|EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5|580 EXII

  5. #5

    Default Re: how to store long telephoto lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    yup..cos sg climate hot n humid and might easy kena the unwanted fungus!!!

    U certainly dun want dat to happen to ur precious lens rite?
    then when in the dry box, should it be standing or laid down huh...
    life is but a dream...

  6. #6

    Default Re: how to store long telephoto lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    then when in the dry box, should it be standing or laid down huh...
    It does not matter.

  7. #7

    Default Re: how to store long telephoto lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    It does not matter.
    ok, understand... thks...
    life is but a dream...

  8. #8
    Member agws1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North East Singapore
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: how to store long telephoto lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    then when in the dry box, should it be standing or laid down huh...
    Modern AF Long Tele lenses should be okay stored in any direction but if you are into older manual focus stuff like me, you might want to invest in tall cabinets or Pelicans and Silica Gel. Older lenses have tight helicoids that are greased and unless you rotate them every now and then, the lubricant actually settles and leaks out the side of the lens.
    Hope this is helpful, GOD Bless.

  9. #9

    Default Re: how to store long telephoto lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by agws1970 View Post
    Modern AF Long Tele lenses should be okay stored in any direction but if you are into older manual focus stuff like me, you might want to invest in tall cabinets or Pelicans and Silica Gel. Older lenses have tight helicoids that are greased and unless you rotate them every now and then, the lubricant actually settles and leaks out the side of the lens.
    Hope this is helpful, GOD Bless.
    when u mentioned modern, how young lens fits this bill huh.... what about a 1999 70-200 zoom place in dry box for 6yrs never even touched before have the grease dried up and cause the lens to have a coat of grease... any remote chance of this happening.... just like to seek some opinion...
    life is but a dream...

  10. #10

    Default Re: how to store long telephoto lenses?

    OT: With modern AF Long Tele Prime lenses, It does not accepted front filter or front cap due to non-threaded in the front glass elements but only come with the front leather cap.
    Do you guy store the lens with front leather cap (to protect the front glass elements) into the dry cabinet? or otherwise?
    Which direction [sleeping flat, standing up(front glass up), standing down with hood mounted(rear cap up)] is prefer when store into dry cabinet?


    How about the lens hood, carrying lens strap?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •