Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

  1. #21

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by raghnall View Post
    Oh.. I didn't know that..



    Maybe I should tally my product codes to the website too. This is getting complicated.

    Seriously, I really don't understand the rational of producing a cheaper aluminum version just for China. Can't they use the brass version too?
    I can't find the aluminum models on the website.
    Maybe i miss out?

  2. #22

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    yeah me too.At a glance both look very similiar.

  3. #23

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    I can't find the aluminum models on the website.
    Maybe i miss out?
    I have checked mine, the product code is the same as the website. But the website doesn't seem to state aluminum versions?

    I found this online. An interesting thread about different versions of B+W filters. Not sure if it has been posted before..
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=292807

  4. #24

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by raghnall View Post
    I have checked mine, the product code is the same as the website. But the website doesn't seem to state aluminum versions?

    I found this online. An interesting thread about different versions of B+W filters. Not sure if it has been posted before..
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=292807
    The B+W website only state the brass models.

  5. #25

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    The B+W website only state the brass models.
    Hmm.. Even their Chinese website also stated brass being used in the filters. So where did the aluminum come from??

    Chinese B+W Website

  6. #26
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    this thread is digressing to brass vs. aluminium again.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  7. #27

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by raghnall View Post
    Actually MRC versions come in both aluminum and brass versions, where else, non-MRC ones are aluminum if I'm not wrong.
    Am getting confusing.....

    Quote Originally Posted by raghnall View Post
    The Brass version has printing on the face of the filter while the aluminum version has the printing on the side. I believe there used to be a thread on it, it's exactly the same.

    Found some images online. Hope it helps!

    Brass Version


    Aluminum Version
    Quote Originally Posted by raghnall View Post
    Oh.. I didn't know that..



    Maybe I should tally my product codes to the website too. This is getting complicated.

    Seriously, I really don't understand the rational of producing a cheaper aluminum version just for China. Can't they use the brass version too?
    Confirm or not? Cause buying that filter ain't Cheap.

  8. #28
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    but why is there concern about brass or aluminium? is there significant difference?

  9. #29

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    but why is there concern about brass or aluminium? is there significant difference?
    Which is stronger? Brass or Aluminium?

  10. #30
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by pleasekickmehere View Post
    Which is stronger? Brass or Aluminium?
    Being an alloy, brass is stronger and feels heavier/more solid. It is argued that brass will less likely "stick" to your lens but given that most rims today are made of plastics anyway, this argument is moot. The argument for aluminium is that being softer, it will take impacts better than the brass conterparts and hence gives better protection to your lens should you drop it.

    Anyway the xs pro filters are one of the finest filters in the common market. If money is no objection, just get them.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    Being an alloy, brass is stronger and feels heavier/more solid. It is argued that brass will less likely "stick" to your lens but given that most rims today are made of plastics anyway, this argument is moot. The argument for aluminium is that being softer, it will take impacts better than the brass conterparts and hence gives better protection to your lens should you drop it.

    Anyway the xs pro filters are one of the finest filters in the common market. If money is no objection, just get them.
    Just get what suits u, doesn't mean have to be the best.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #32
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Just get what suits u, doesn't mean have to be the best.
    The best always suits me. But I dun always suit the best.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    The best always suits me. But I dun always suit the best.
    Money's the most impt factor here.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  14. #34
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Money's the most impt factor here.
    Well, money is not a problem. The problem is i no money.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  15. #35

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    Well, money is not a problem. The problem is i no money.

  16. #36
    Member Lord Soth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleBen View Post
    Anyone tried the XS-Pro series?

    Cheers,
    Ben
    I'm using the new XS-Pro filter for my Nikkor 20mm lens.

    The front threads are really convenient for attaching your lens caps. This is a really serious factor in choosing the XS-Pro over the F-Pro or Slim types. The extra cost is really worth it. If you read the reviews of those using the SLIM B+W filters, they commonly complain about the filter caps coming out easily. On the other hand, if you are the type who prefers to use a lens hood and leave your lens exposed, then by all means get the cheaper SLIM/F-Pro filter.

    BTW: for those newbies out there, it is better to get the thinnest filters for wide angled lenses so as to avoid vignetting issues.

    So far, wide open at f/2.8, the XS-Pro filter does not contribute to any vignetting.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

  17. #37

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    so do u get a len cap when buying the XS-pro filter or are u saying the original len cap from our len can be use on the XS-pro?
    if F-pro then the original len cap cannot be use?

    and i think of buying Canon 500D with 18-200mm len so which one filter should buy? XS-pro?

    Hope someone can advice..thanks

  18. #38

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by trueb1ue View Post
    so do u get a len cap when buying the XS-pro filter or are u saying the original len cap from our len can be use on the XS-pro?
    if F-pro then the original len cap cannot be use?

    and i think of buying Canon 500D with 18-200mm len so which one filter should buy? XS-pro?

    Hope someone can advice..thanks
    The XS-pro, although its slim, still has front threads for your lens cap. So yes you can still use the lens cap that came with your lens.

  19. #39

    Default Re: B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPresident View Post
    The XS-pro, although its slim, still has front threads for your lens cap. So yes you can still use the lens cap that came with your lens.
    ic ...thanks for ur advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •