Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you approach, ask and shoot?

Default Re: Do you approach, ask and shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by haslansalam View Post
    again the illegal issue here. It's not going to be illegal if you shot and the fella you shot just ignore it. It will be illegal if you shot and that fella approach you to delete your photos but u ignore it...
    He has no rights to delete or remove the your exposures (film/image).
    You should delete it anyways though and just get it back when you're at home with a restoration software, less trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by haslansalam View Post
    again the illegal issue here. It's not going to be illegal if you shot and the fella you shot just ignore it. It will be illegal if you shot and that fella approach you to delete your photos but u ignore it...
    It's NOT ILLEGAL to shoot others, with or without their consent. Please get your facts right.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    when u travel, say in japan, would the japanese be more amenable to having their photos taken as opposed to, say singaporeans or malaysians?
    ya, for japanese ppl, is easy to take photo with, just go and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    It's NOT ILLEGAL to shoot others, with or without their consent. Please get your facts right.
    Yes that's right, irregardless of whether you get permission or you snipe commando like, as long as its in a public place and there is no obscenity involved, its not a crime. But the main question in this thread is do you ask? IF you do, what do you say to the subjects? Hope more seasoned shooters will share their experiences.
    Your pictures speaks for you, not your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    ya, for japanese ppl, is easy to take photo with, just go and ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by mabmy View Post
    Yes that's right, irregardless of whether you get permission or you snipe commando like, as long as its in a public place and there is no obscenity involved, its not a crime. But the main question in this thread is do you ask? IF you do, what do you say to the subjects? Hope more seasoned shooters will share their experiences.
    shashin ga tottemo ii desuka, aho!
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by mabmy View Post
    My last request was : "Hi, you look very interesting. May I take a picture of you? "
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Well, i would normally just approach the subject and ask can i take a photograph of you?

That's all. If kana rejected then move on to next subject lor

There is ard 70% of Yes which i guess it's quite a nice amount
    Last edited by tranceaddict; 26th March 2009 at 01:06 AM.

I observe the person carefully and see why I want to take a photo of this person. For a woman it may be a beautiful face, fashionable clothes, nice hair style, large expressive eyes, etc. For a man it may be handsome face, muscular body, a face with distinct character, etc. If there is no compelling reason to photograph the person, I just move on. I donít want to waste my time or theirs.

I just look at them and smile genuinely. If they smile back or at least look neutral (not hostile), I tell them 'you look beautiful' or 'you have very good fashion sense', or 'you have a lovely hair', etc. There is a 30% chance they walk away at this stage. No problems.

If they donít walk away, I say, 'I am a photographer. I would like to take a photo of you. It will take just 2 minutes. I will email you the picture.'

There is a 70% chance he or she will walk away at this stage. No problems.

If they agree, I go ahead and take 5-6 shots from 2-3 angles. Not more than 5 minutes. After that I give them my name card and take down their email.

The important thing is not to take rejection personally. They are not rejecting me as a person or as a photographer. It is just that don't want their photo taken by a stranger.

Most people are shy by nature. Sometimes it is just that they are not in the mood to give smiling poses to a stranger. And then there are some people who are genuinely scared of strangers! Whatever is their reason, I accept it gracefully and walk away with a smile.

As they say, there is plenty of fish in the sea. So, I move on to the next subject.

Good luck...

Sam
    www.samkumar.com

Quote Originally Posted by photoman View Post
    I observe the person carefully and see why I want to take a photo of this person. For a woman it may be a beautiful face, fashionable clothes, nice hair style, large expressive eyes, etc. For a man it may be handsome face, muscular body, a face with distinct character, etc. If there is no compelling reason to photograph the person, I just move on. I donít want to waste my time or theirs.

I just look at them and smile genuinely. If they smile back or at least look neutral (not hostile), I tell them 'you look beautiful' or 'you have very good fashion sense', or 'you have a lovely hair', etc. There is a 30% chance they walk away at this stage. No problems.

If they donít walk away, I say, 'I am a photographer. I would like to take a photo of you. It will take just 2 minutes. I will email you the picture.'

There is a 70% chance he or she will walk away at this stage. No problems.

If they agree, I go ahead and take 5-6 shots from 2-3 angles. Not more than 5 minutes. After that I give them my name card and take down their email.

The important thing is not to take rejection personally. They are not rejecting me as a person or as a photographer. It is just that don't want their photo taken by a stranger.

Most people are shy by nature. Sometimes it is just that they are not in the mood to give smiling poses to a stranger. And then there are some people who are genuinely scared of strangers! Whatever is their reason, I accept it gracefully and walk away with a smile.

As they say, there is plenty of fish in the sea. So, I move on to the next subject.

Good luck...

Sam
    www.samkumar.com
    This is a very good example that can be put into practise. Thank you so much for sharing. How about the rest of the bros and sistas here? Anything that you are able to share with the rest as well?
    Your pictures speaks for you, not your camera.

It's very hard.

Not to get them to let you take your shot, but to get the shot you want.

When they are alerted, naturally they'd stop what they were doing, and that ruins the originally intended meaning for the shot. At least for me, i'd like them to be engaged in whatever they were doing rather than make sure they pose well and look good for your camera (if they accepted the request). 99% of the time it's pretty much like that, locally i haven't come across anyone with enough visual impact to warrant a posed photo.
    Kids, maybe, but i like that puzzled look on their face when you point a camera at them and they hold that bewilderment for 1 or 2 seconds - that's probably the golden moment.

This little girl here i photographed in South Africa. I was panning my camera with a waist level finder across the scenic, and she looked at right smack into the camera with wonderful eyes before gazing out to the sky curiously to see what i was trying to photograph. I'm not sure if she even knew i was taking a picture (the WLF confuses many people), but she was definitely very spontaneous. Regrettedly i didn't capture the moment she looked at me due to my over-carefulness of wasting film (yes blame MediumFormat's outrageous upkeep prices for a student) but i was able to capture this, which came after.

I would love a few shots of the deadpan-expression types of people overseas, say maybe aboriginal people, guerilla fighters? Great for journalistic moments. But Singaporeans.. it would be rare if i wanted one.
    Last edited by xylestesins; 26th March 2009 at 03:45 AM.

photoman posted a good response.

also, the illegal advice posted earlier, whilst it varies from country to country - germany and france amongst the most stringent regarding privacy - is incorrect.
    as zac08 and mabmy correctly state it is not illegal to shoot on public grounds, members of the public.

in japan i had a negative response - most did not want their photo taken.
    those who did were the usual ones, for example the cosplayers around harajuku in tokyo ( - but you must ask first! otherwise they turn away or scowl ) .
    in kyoto they were pretty cagey too.
    however, i did shoot around a crowd at a concert there with no problems, though i put that down to the kind of open-minded people attracted to such an event.
    alot of people would see the camera ( a large D2x ) and hide their faces in some way.

overall though, i don't like asking unless its for a job / brief and i can prove so.

if you want spontaneous / candid, then you can't really ask before anyway.
    ( as ably demonstrated by xylestesins )
    Last edited by wobbly; 26th March 2009 at 04:31 AM.
    *D700,D2X,D2H,Mamiya*

I tend to prefer xylestesins style, it's more interesting to me that way.

Really hard tho with a DSLR cos the cam is kind of "too big" and attracts unnecessary attention.
    The bigger problem is whether I'm fast enough to get the shot I like in time since it's done impromptu.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12