View Poll Results: Ur reaction if someone wants to whack u even if u apologized & show ur camera photos?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wait till he whack u first then u hit back.

34 28.81%
  • dont do anything! run like crazy with ur equipment!!

27 22.88%
  • call the police, and wait it out.

38 32.20%
  • apologize profusely and keep showing him the camera photos while reasoning with him.

25 21.19%
  • Stone down there. (like anyone's gonna do that!!)

10 8.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

Quoting my experience,

Stop by security guard for shooting, guard talk in walkie talkie to his chief, chief came down, ask for purpose and particular, told him that permission had been granted by the Property Manager, which in term is his superior, stating the name of the PM, chief called his superior and things trash out. Shooting continue, plus ; if you need any help please let us know.

The above scenario applies to thro' proper procedure, or SOP.

For casual shooting, I'd got found out is b'coz due to the numerous cctv installed, those sitting in the FCP will radio the guard to approach me. Since I had no permission, I'd better take their advice and leave.

As for shooting people/stranger in public place, whether on the street/roadside or in any building/premise it all depend on their culture and charactor.
    According to one of my friend who is very good in striking up a rapport with stranger, his advice...
    Always ask first before you shoot, that will safe a lot of trouble.

Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

Whack him first, ala jeet kune do.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Quoting my experience,

Stop by security guard for shooting, guard talk in walkie talkie to his chief, chief came down, ask for purpose and particular, told him that permission had been granted by the Property Manager, which in term is his superior, stating the name of the PM, chief called his superior and things trash out. Shooting continue, plus ; if you need any help please let us know.

The above scenario applies to thro' proper procedure, or SOP.

For casual shooting, I'd got found out is b'coz due to the numerous cctv installed, those sitting in the FCP will radio the guard to approach me. Since I had no permission, I'd better take their advice and leave.

As for shooting people/stranger in public place, whether on the street/roadside or in any building/premise it all depend on their culture and charactor.
    According to one of my friend who is very good in striking up a rapport with stranger, his advice...
    as long as you're not stepping on their property, you do not have to answer to the security on your intent, nor disclose your identity
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Well, unless you can point me to it, I guess we'll have to consider it as "unconfirmed" information.

You can check with the police if you want, but from my previous experiences, they are really bad in law. They will tell you something is a civil case when it is a criminal case. They will tell you that it is a civil case when what they mean is that you should take up a Magistrates' Complaint. Hence I won't put too much faith in their information regarding the law.

A security guard is, until you show contrary legal authorites, in my opinion, no different from a private citizen. Sure, you can try to detain the person and ask him for his particulars. If he refuses, then you can choose to forcefully detain him if you are damn **** sure that he is a terrorist, and even subdue him if you want.

But be forewarned, that if it turns out that you are wrong or that you had no basis, then you will, be the next one in line for a host of criminal and civil complaints, such as wrongful restraint, wrongful confinement, assault, criminal intimidation etc etc. You will not be able to say "I'm a security guard, I can do these"; because there are any specific defences or immunities given to security guards that I'm aware of (again feel free to point out specific legal authority when you are not tied up with other things).

This has nothing to do with NS, and hence, I'll not be dealing with that situation.

Finally, whether you as the challengee, wish to give your name or not, is up to you. I'm merely questioning your assertion that the security guard has a right to force you to give your particulars. I'm saying that he does not.

In fact, many security guards/posts ask you to surrender your IC before you can go in - this was a point of contention in the news some years ago, when it was pointed out that they don't have any legal right to retain your IC. That said, I can say that they can put it as a condition of entry rather than a demand to surrender, but it is clear therefore that if it is not a condition of entry, they otherwise have no legal basis to demand your IC or any other partiuclars.

Finally, you can't just gloss things over by saying "case to case". Laws are laws, there's no "case to case" where different laws apply for different cases.
    Pt taken and I agree with u.

Quote Originally Posted by cy_j View Post
    Whack him first, ala jeet kune do.
    if he's really a martial artist practitioner, he won't whack him....lol

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    then you will just end up with a lot of posed shots.

there is a huge difference between street photography and street portraiture.

i prefer to showcase something that hasn't been posed, unless there isn't really any choice.

My advice is to stay away as fast as possible because you are carrying expensive equipments as potential target. If that someone's wanting to whack you , but instead the heavy whack landed on your camera ,

not worthy of your time . stay away from trouble. When the police comes, more trouble as police might whack you too .

get a friend you-tube him from behind, get wack by him and sue him back later
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    get a friend you-tube him from behind, get wack by him and sue him back later
    I like your style. Can be a good way to earn money in these tight times.

Get my monopod ready

Quote Originally Posted by cy_j View Post
    I like your style. Can be a good way to earn money in these tight times.
    same here....extra savings for my UWA...lol

haha.. actually i wanted to add in "In Singapore" but then, i also wanted to know what happens if u shoot in other countries.. So, that will be a easier to avoid these kind of situations if you're overseas and encounter these problems..

But, from what i gathered, most would just smile and walk away, while some keep their eyes on the person and walk off, and some call the police to settle and so on and so forth.. Then is there any other more ways to diffuse the situation??

coz as i see the posts, i kinda figured out the guy whom i mention must have act like he was a plainclothes police (the idea i got from the guy who posts his reply saying he pretends he's a mediacorp scout to diffuse the situation..) what other methods work for u guys?
    Last edited by seiji87; 25th March 2009 at 12:34 AM.
    EOS 30D+50mm MKII+18-55mm IS.. What I use do not define me.. Its the photos that I take that will..

its true.. i usually ask before i shoot and it avoids any confrontration
    Nikon D90|18-105mm|50mm 1.8D|MB D80|SB 900
    http://marknagas.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    as long as you're not stepping on their property, you do not have to answer to the security on your intent, nor disclose your identity
    Absolute correct.

As coming back to the thread...

If the guy is meant to find trouble, which can commonly found here, just by looking at him is already a good enough reason for him to beat you up.Usually, these are paranoid. Avoid at all cost.
    But on the other hand, some of these guy's intention is to extort some money, seldom is the equipment for they might know it is costly but they do not know how to dispose of it and for how much its market value. Also scare of being caught when selling to second hand shop.

One to one situation is when you're in no man's land.
    Depend on your load, otherwise he will outrun you for sure.

vince123123
    Guests

I would say that you can never cover all countries. My practical advice is, in Singapore, since you're in home ground, you can afford to stand firmer on your rights, especially since you are probably more aware of them.

In foreign ground, even if you somehow know your legal rights and position, I would still advise you to temper them a little. Being on foreign ground, there are a lot of things you dont' know of that country and I don't think it is a good idea to go charging around championing rights.

Hence, I think it will be more constructive if you limit the discussion to Singapore, and it allows you to focus your discussion and hence get better feedback in that way. By opening up to the whole world, you will get all sorts of suggestions that may or may not work, and hence confusing you, as to when to use what in which country.

Quote Originally Posted by seiji87 View Post
    haha.. actually i wanted to add in "In Singapore" but then, i also wanted to know what happens if u shoot in other countries.. So, that will be a easier to avoid these kind of situations if you're overseas and encounter these problems..

But, from what i gathered, most would just smile and walk away, while some keep their eyes on the person and walk off, and some call the police to settle and so on and so forth.. Then is there any other more ways to diffuse the situation??

coz as i see the posts, i kinda figured out the guy whom i mention must have act like he was a plainclothes police (the idea i got from the guy who posts his reply saying he pretends he's a mediacorp scout to diffuse the situation..) what other methods work for u guys?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I would say that you can never cover all countries. My practical advice is, in Singapore, since you're in home ground, you can afford to stand firmer on your rights, especially since you are probably more aware of them.

In foreign ground, even if you somehow know your legal rights and position, I would still advise you to temper them a little. Being on foreign ground, there are a lot of things you dont' know of that country and I don't think it is a good idea to go charging around championing rights.

Hence, I think it will be more constructive if you limit the discussion to Singapore, and it allows you to focus your discussion and hence get better feedback in that way. By opening up to the whole world, you will get all sorts of suggestions that may or may not work, and hence confusing you, as to when to use what in which country.
    also, adding on to vince's suggestion,

how do u even know if someone posted that there are such & such law that may or may not allows u to shoot in private property / streets at oversea in a particular country to be true?

at least here in singapore, we can confirm that there are no privacy law in street shoot, as long as not up skirt kind of photos etc, as told by home affair minister mr wong kan seng during national tv news interview.

as for property, only the police has the authority to retain, take down u id or use reasonable force in accordance to situations. security dont.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

vince123123
    Guests

Yup, agreed, the certainty of law in Singapore will be higher because we have a greater access to the materials. OF course, my own personal familiarity with SIngapore law assists in such discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    also, adding on to vince's suggestion,

how do u even know if someone posted that there are such & such law that may or may not allows u to shoot in private property / streets at oversea in a particular country to be true?

at least here in singapore, we can confirm that there are no privacy law in street shoot, as long as not up skirt kind of photos etc, as told by home affair minister mr wong kan seng during national tv news interview.

as for property, only the police has the authority to retain, take down u id or use reasonable force in accordance to situations. security dont.

LOL, coz everyone was so fast in replying and some even went to talk about the laws and everything in other countries. so i didnt have much time to add the "in singapore" by then.. and i was busy with work and so by the time i wanted to add it in, everyone already started talking on overseas and all.. u may want to check out on pages 2 & 3.. coz initially the replies started on singapore, then went to the laws overseas.. so might as well as let everyone continue about their replies on overseas..
    EOS 30D+50mm MKII+18-55mm IS.. What I use do not define me.. Its the photos that I take that will..

vince123123
    Guests

So do you want to focus it on Singapore, or allow it to go for overseas as well? Your choice really since it is your thread

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    then you will just end up with a lot of posed shots.

there is a huge difference between street photography and street portraiture.

i prefer to showcase something that hasn't been posed, unless there isn't really any choice.
    Understood what you mean, you want to cature them in their original/natural activity of whatever they are doing, so take picture without disturbing them...right ?
    Of course here run a risk as the thread title.
    Maybe can share, how do you defuse such a situation, as you're widely travelled and had done lots of street photography. Thanks.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast