View Poll Results: Ur reaction if someone wants to whack u even if u apologized & show ur camera photos?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wait till he whack u first then u hit back.

    34 28.81%
  • dont do anything! run like crazy with ur equipment!!

    27 22.88%
  • call the police, and wait it out.

    38 32.20%
  • apologize profusely and keep showing him the camera photos while reasoning with him.

    25 21.19%
  • Stone down there. (like anyone's gonna do that!!)

    10 8.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 114

Thread: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

  1. #1

    Default How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    erm, title a bit brief, so i post here..

    My question is, how do u react if someone threaten u with body harm and keeps confronting you even though u already showed them proof that u didnt take their photos whne u take street photography?

    (imagine u just panning on the street for photographs, but didnt take any photos, but someone comes up to u and confronts u in angry tone, and keeps confronting u and threatens body harm even if you have showed them proof that u didnt take his/her photos.)

    this is posted, so as to let fellow photographers share their experiences in encountering these situations and to let other fellow photographers like myself know how they diffuse the situation.. As i havent encountered this sort of situation but saw and heard for myself. If there is old thread like this, i apologize..

    *Thanks to Rashkae and rphotograhy for their inputs in the "do u get scolded on the street doing street photog.

    what Rashkae wrote: Smile and ignore him. If he touches me, I subdue him. Then I call the cops and have him arrested

    What Rphotography wrote: i never liked violence. but if tat guy turns violent, first instinct is to protect my cam. zhao if i hv to. lastly hoot him back if he manages to land a punch. then i wldnt be charged ba?

    please do give ur valuable inputs!! Thanks!
    EOS 30D+50mm MKII+18-55mm IS.. What I use do not define me.. Its the photos that I take that will..

  2. #2
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    i suggestion, smile and walk away. if need be, shout for help or police. if still cant improve the situation, time to really call 999 liao.
    Last edited by denniskee; 22nd March 2009 at 03:41 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  3. #3
    Member henrii88tay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yishun, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    best way is point and shot

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    Some bloke tried to run me down once. But that was because I took his photo without caring if he approves or not. There will always be arseholes and madman around. You'll wouldn't know when they'll bite. As a first reaction, always try to walk away or risk damaging your gears. If all else fails, all I can say is if you are NS trained, always be operational ready.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    You are the one holding the cam (read weapon), go figure...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Black Gate of Mordor
    Posts
    165

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    Happened to me twice. One was at fort canning a few years ago and the second was somewhere last year. But the one at fort canning almost turn violent since I stand my ground as I've done nothing wrong and my first instinct was to use the camera as a defensive tool. To think back about that incident, I should had just run like the wind and avoid a confrontation since the guys were quite a few distance away from me.

    And for last year incident, A guy approached me and asked me what I'm doing taking photos and for what. I just told him that I'm simply taking photos just for fun and then I asked him back..."Why?...anything wrong?". He said.."nothing" and walk away and me too walk away from the area since I don't want the guy to come back with a few of his kaki's. Just to be safe.

    But the best remedy to this kind of sticky situation is just to walk away but while doing that, just watch your back or you can simply call the cops immediately if you think that it could turn ugly.. If it turns ugly and you got punched with just minor bruises and cuts, the police aren't able to arrest the assailant since it's considered as voluntarily causing hurt which is a non-seizable offence.

  7. #7

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    One of the main contributing cause must be STOMP.
    Everyone is paranoid that they would get onto STOMP for the wrong reason.

    In any case, most situations can be diffused if everyone keeps a level head. =)
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

  8. #8

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    I suppose, since i started the thread.. i have to share also.

    A few years back, i was doing street photog. somewhere (but i cannot remember the place) there was this guy also doing street photog infront of me too. I took a break from panning for photos and i looked at him. He was panning for photos, turning his camera here and there looking for a nice photo, when this guy walks up to him and confronts him.

    The guy was shouting angryily at him while hurling obscenties. the photog immediately, as i saw, walked up to him and apologize while showing the guy his camera. I believe the photog was trying to tell him he didnt take his photos and asking him politely to check.

    photog guy: "i didnt take ur photos.. here i showed u"
    and the photog guy showed him,
    but the guy said, "i dun care, how would i know if u change the memory card?"
    and the photog guy apologize, but the guy started and kept threatening body harm and shouting, until another guy came into the picture and diffuse the situation..

    the guy before he walked off, turned to the photog and shouted at him loudly, "next time watch where you're pointing the camera, and i dun care if u got take or not, coz even if u show me, i will personally break ur fingers or limbs if i see u again, for taking my photos."

    And thats the reason why i started this thread, coz the photog guy was really polite and didnt raise his voice, keeping his voice level, but the other guy was like .. And thats the reason why this thread is started, to know how others diffuse the situation like the guy who managed to do it between the photog guy and the man..

    If i have a chance, i want to meet the guy who diffused the situation and learn from him how he did it.

    (I remember the exact convo between the two guys and the man's face, coz after that incident, i stopped doing street photog and all types of photography for at least a year coz i was only like sec 1 or 2, damn small size..) anyway, i hope the mad man didnt see me.. or else i jia lak.. even though i wasnt involved..
    Last edited by seiji87; 22nd March 2009 at 06:05 AM.
    EOS 30D+50mm MKII+18-55mm IS.. What I use do not define me.. Its the photos that I take that will..

  9. #9
    Member coinfucious888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    Here is an "untested" solution to diffuse this sort of an ugly confrontation.

    Make a few bogus name cards on your puter that identifies you as talent scout/agent.

    When confronted, maintain your cool and calmly explain you are commissioned to look for an ideal street setting for a big budget movie and in your opinion the neighbourhood you are now looking at may fit the bill.

    Tell him you are also looking for local "extras" to give the movie authencity and would he be interested.

    When he has swallowed it hook,line & sinker......RUN

  10. #10

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    The guy whack me, I just kept walking.
    I was only holding my camera in my hand, and shooting film (so can't "prove" that I didn't photo him).

    most likely not the reason why he whack me..

    But I think he'll get constipation tonight.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  11. #11
    Deregistered rgy1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    i think being 6ft 1 and "bulky" helps hahah
    ive had a few instances of people giving me funny looks but then i just smile and usually they go away...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    I don't think that one has to prove to anyone that he/she did not take a shot of the latter. However, for the sake of avoiding a confrontation, one can choose to show the shots that he/she has taken. In spite of that, if a member of the public is hurling threats and abuses at the photographer, don't argue (arguing never really helps in such cases) just whip out your mobile and call 999 because threatening with bodily harm is an offence under the Penal Code and let the law take its course.

  13. #13

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sham K View Post
    I don't think that one has to prove to anyone that he/she did not take a shot of the latter. However, for the sake of avoiding a confrontation, one can choose to show the shots that he/she has taken. In spite of that, if a member of the public is hurling threats and abuses at the photographer, don't argue (arguing never really helps in such cases) just whip out your mobile and call 999 because threatening with bodily harm is an offence under the Penal Code and let the law take its course.
    I agree....just ask him to hold on and tell him that u're calling the police to settle his unhappiness (as long u're not shooting in private property, u're find.). I think I'll do that in future too~

    I encountered several cases...It helps if u gym up abit~~ I'm small but bodybuilder built. There were several similar instances that people confronted me... I looked pissed when they became hostile, and they walked away after that. Nonetheless, I guess any troublemakers will go away at the instance that u're consulting the police...if u're not doing anything illegal.

  14. #14

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    Best is to leave the place. Sometimes trying to prove your point does not work in angry situation. An angry man cannot see the picture clearly because his main focus is to attack you verbally.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    Calling the police is the best idea.

    But I voted for "dont do anything! run like crazy with ur equipment!!". Don't want to waste my time with unreasonable people. So far, I have yet to end up in such a situation.

  16. #16
    Member kingfishers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    riverside of northwest
    Posts
    587

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    Don't even border and walk away

  17. #17
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallenphoenix View Post
    I agree....just ask him to hold on and tell him that u're calling the police to settle his unhappiness (as long u're not shooting in private property, u're find.). I think I'll do that in future too~
    ?? police dont handle assualt happened in private property??
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  18. #18

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    ?? police dont handle assualt happened in private property??
    What he meant is that if you are shooting in private property. Cause you are wrong in the first place, shooting without permission.

  19. #19
    Member kkenji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    singapore...yio chu kang
    Posts
    525

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    i wouldnt wanna use my cam as a defensive tool..i'll prob get a heart attack seeing the body being smashed up or what..

    i dont know about you guys, but i put the safety of my cam above myself..

    if such a situation do happens and things cant be resolved in a civilized manner and it starts to turn violent, only thing i can think of........RUNNNNNNNNNNNN...

    lets say if he does hit, depending on my mood, may not retaliate, just call the cops and in the meantime try to snap a pic of his face with the phone or something just in case he scoots last minute.

    if im not wrong if one gets hits 1st without any provocation or retaliation, the person who assulted you can be hualed to court right ?

  20. #20

    Default Re: How do u react if someone's wants to whack u even though u nvr take his photo?

    interesting topic here.

    i havent kena before, but if i do, i rather call the police. no point wasting time arguing abt it. and if he ever held his touch on myself, i would just stand my ground, and wait for the police and shout for help..

    i think the reason why this people think you are taking their picture, is because they see things differently. i mean like, i give you an example.

    you are in the bus, then you felt uneasy because the driver kept staring at you via the rear view mirror.. then you go confront the driver(i knw, sounds ridiculous).. but if you yourself look at the mirror, the driver was looking at the back instead of you.. so i guess this is the reason?
    The Railway Enthusiast. Keretapi Tanah Melayu. KTM Intercity. Click for my DeviantART page

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •