Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon Photographer of the Year

Default Re: Canon Photographer of the Year

submission ends on the 20th of each month but new pictures added today

competition with voting is always popularity contest
    sms / spam ym / msn / facebook / email all friends and relatives to vote...
    post in your company email to all, ask them to vote also...

aiyo.. )

Quote Originally Posted by GavinTing View Post
    IC Generator? Google

Don't bother with it.

The registration system does not check on this.

U can just keep on creating infinite bogus accounts with invalid nric numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by archlover View Post
    competition with voting is always popularity contest
    sms / spam ym / msn / facebook / email all friends and relatives to vote...
    post in your company email to all, ask them to vote also...

aiyo.. )

it is a contest of who is fastest in creating bogus account and vote for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by cheerful88 View Post
    submission ends on the 20th of each month but new pictures added today
    no rules....
    wait the grand prize become a Eos 5D MK2 toy model.

i've just dropped a feedbak to Canon and hopefully they fix the judging system and make it fair to all the participants.

It is really disgusting to see such high vote rating going to some undeserving photos.

Yes true, the Judging rule has to be revisited by Canon, They should not only select the best photo they should also select the Best and Relavent photos for the givent topic.

Hope CANON do some action on this.

cheers,
    ranjith
    ranjiths26
    Canon EOS 450D | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 | Canon 100mm f2.8 MACRO | Canon 55-250mm f4.0-5.6

Canon has replied promptly. Hope they can review and change judging system equally fast.

Thank you for your email and feedback on the judging system of the Canon
    Photography of the Year contest.
    We have escalated this to the organising managers to look into the judging
    system to ensure that there are no flaws in the system.
    It is definitely our priority to ensure that all participants are judged
    fairly.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback. Good luck in the
    contest.

Regards
    Tai Lee Mun
    Customer Delight Management
    Canon Singapore Pte Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    Canon has replied promptly. Hope they can review and change judging system equally fast.

Thank you for your email and feedback on the judging system of the Canon
    Photography of the Year contest.
    We have escalated this to the organising managers to look into the judging
    system to ensure that there are no flaws in the system.
    It is definitely our priority to ensure that all participants are judged
    fairly.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback. Good luck in the
    contest.

Regards
    Tai Lee Mun
    Customer Delight Management
    Canon Singapore Pte Ltd
    Thats a super PR response. I get the feeling that any action taken won't be so quick.

Judging an image is very subjective. Shooting of pencils, macro on roses, landscapes oversea with "perfect" weather and conditions, etc........ these are not that difficult to achieve to most photographers, including those using PnS cams.

Judges must be experienced pros who know what constitute a "difficult to shoot" image and requiring the extremely good skills of a photographer.

Of course, local scenery shots can never be compared to the scenery shots from those extremely nice places ...

Somemore, there are so many genres to compete ... how?
    How do you compare a portrait with a macro, with a landscape, with a street, with a studio,etc???

Calling the popular photographer voted by the mass public as "the Canon Photographer of the Year" is too unworthy.
    Maybe the winner should be known as "the Canon Popular photographer of the Year" instead.
    always the Light, .... always.

The main flaw of the system is:

Bogus accounts (without being a valid Canon customer with product warranty) can be created to vote for a particular photo.

If they can control voting to valid Canon product registered user, then the chances of participants cheating (voting for themselves or getting friends and relatives to throw in the vote) will be limited. Right now, these no control on the voting system. No control of NRIC number in account creation, no cost involved in voting (unlike SMS voting where fees are applicable).

Of course there also also minor flaws. Like the rules to submit by 20th of the month is not adhered.

I think the surprise for me for this month was the rule stating no submissions after the 20th was not adhered too.

As for the voting, there is no point complaining about this, it stated pretty clearly how the competition would run and how the winner each month would be decided. While this does create a "popular" photo competition it still does not negate the process...especially considering that someone will have to be consistent about this over a whole year.

The competition never said you had to have a Canon product to vote, only that you had to have a valid IC/FIN to register with Canon, you do however have to have used a Canon camera to take the photo (unlike the Canon Photo-Marathon) and so by not limiting it to DSLR or 3800pixel sided images the competition is deliberatly open to all Canon cameras...don't forget that this is an in-house driven marketing tool aimed at a large market segment not just the "pros".

I think the system and the competition is fine. Themes are always going to be open to interpretation and the system for deciding the winner is what it is. If you don't like it, don't enter.

And weekh it's very easy for you to criticise the system, but you got nearly 50 votes in one evening...were they all people with a Canon product, or simply friends registering and voting? If you think the competition is so flawed, will you be entering again this month when the new theme is announced?

The competition and the rules are fine, they are stated, and if you don;t like it, or don't agree then vote that way, by not entering or voting.

The problem is when the stated rules are not followed.
    Canon 400D + BG-E3 . EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS . EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 IS
    http://aselley.zenfolio.com/

they've changed the T&C.

"Entries will be judged by a panel of judges and the winners will be announced in the first week of the following month. The decision of the judges will be final."

See that's wrong too.

If you start a competition then I think they should honour the conditions they set...to change the rules once it has started is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by aselley View Post
    The competition never said you had to have a Canon product to vote, only that you had to have a valid IC/FIN to register
    The main problem was: U don't need a valid ic/ fin to register. It encourages clicking the mouse creating unlimited accounts rather than clicking the shutter.

On Monday, my votes jump from 60 to 99 within half an hour. Did I do it myself? Or was it my fans rallied together to support me? Whatever the case, that was certainly not right.

I'm glad they changed the rules. This is only the first round and many more rounds to go. The organise is likely to be inexperienced. But let's straighten things out and have fun for the rest of the year!

I agree with getting on and taking photos.

But I still don't like the changing of rules after it has begun, I mean what's to stop them doing it again? And the changes have only created more questions into the competition whereas at least prior it was clear...for a popularity competition

It's a sad state of affairs when brands like Canon takes the initiative to organize competitions for photo enthusiasts like us, and implement a system to let us vote for our own favourite images. In the end, the system is deemed to be flawed due to immature behaviour and ultimately scrapped. What started out as good intentions got slammed, and Canon got slammed again for plugging that loophole.

You can't make anybody happy can you?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfishers View Post
    I post picture but no vote leh so die lor no present
    LOL. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    The main problem was: U don't need a valid ic/ fin to register. It encourages clicking the mouse creating unlimited accounts rather than clicking the shutter.

On Monday, my votes jump from 60 to 99 within half an hour. Did I do it myself? Or was it my fans rallied together to support me? Whatever the case, that was certainly not right.

I'm glad they changed the rules. This is only the first round and many more rounds to go. The organise is likely to be inexperienced. But let's straighten things out and have fun for the rest of the year!
    Congrats for winning the March Theme

I agree, some of the winning entries does not have colours but still got points. So the monthly "THEME" doesn't matter

some people are just tend to be more ambitious than the other
    have fun guys

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast