Thread: Advise Needed....

Default Advise Needed....

Hey guys newbie here , just bought Nikon D90 + 18-105VR + 50 F1.8D. Will be planning a trip to bkk this end of the month. My question is if i am planning to take pictures in the comming Motoshow in thailand do i have to get a additonal flash eg.Sb600 or is the lighting in a convention hall good enough And also which lens which i currently have would be better for a event like the motoshow Thanks and i look forward to learning more.........

Default Re: Advise Needed....

i think the sb600 should help, but i think your 50mm f1.8 should do fine at f2.5 ya?

let's hear from some others. I'll also a beginner.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bleh/
    let the universe surprise you .)

Quote Originally Posted by dancool View Post
    Hey guys newbie here , just bought Nikon D90 + 18-105VR + 50 F1.8D. Will be planning a trip to bkk this end of the month. My question is if i am planning to take pictures in the comming Motoshow in thailand do i have to get a additonal flash eg.Sb600 or is the lighting in a convention hall good enough And also which lens which i currently have would be better for a event like the motoshow Thanks and i look forward to learning more.........
    personally i think that the lightings for motorshows are normally bright enough.
    to me i would prefer using the 18-105. but you can always bring both lens and try it out.
    anyway im a newbie too.
    raphaeL xander
    my flickr

Use a flash coupled with relatively large apertures and you'd do fine...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

going to the motor show also at the end of the month. should be going on the 27th march.

not sure about the lighting but as for your gear setup, i strongly recommend u using your kit lens than the 50mm f1.8 prime, as a 50mm is approx a 75mm on your D90 and its neither here or there, to capture a half body shot with the prime u need to stand off quite far and chances are u be blocked and if you are in front, u be too close some times, so better to use a zoom lens and at 105mm, it does have some reach and wide angle.

not sure what your comfort level for your D90 iso. I use D80 at SIN 08 (super import night), lighting is bright for human eyes but not necessary bright enough for camera, I use auto iso with max limit at 400 as i tried with 800 the noise was too much for me. at iso 400 and aperture like 5.6 shutter speed can be quite slow and to avoid that a flash is a must.

a little trick i learn from reading the forum is the usefulness of auto iso. u can try using M mode and set your aperture to F3.5 and shutter to 1/60 and set iso to 100 and activate auto iso with max limit 1600. the biggest aperture setting for max light and shutter of 1/60 should freeze most motion but play around from 1/40-1/100 for a comfortable balance between background light and freezing your subject. by locking the aperture and shutter your auto iso is all that stand between a under expose or over expose pic, but mostly is against under. a additional sb600 flash to your setup will allow u to stay at higher shutter speed more as auto iso even at 1600 max, may not be enough to compensate.

moi 2 cents
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900