Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: RAW format = .NEF file?

  1. #1
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default RAW format = .NEF file?

    hi there everybody, i need some help here, after shooting pics for the first time using the RAW mode on my D70.

    when i transferred the ".NEF" images to my PC, i could only open them with Microsoft Fax and Picture Viewer. even so, each of the 5MB or so photos is highly pixellated and small in display dimension.

    and i could not open any of the pics with my old-version Adobe Photoshop Elements, although in the software, there is an option to open ".RAW" pictures. there is no option to open ".NEF" pictures though.

    would appreciate kind advice from all of you.

    thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Moderator spidey89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Western Singapore
    Posts
    8,154

    Default Re: RAW format = .NEF file?

    have you tried updating the RAW plugin?if your RAW plugin is too old or your elements is too old,they cannot open newer camera RAW files,so to speak,lets say if you had Adobe photoshop 7,you can't open files from cameras like D3,A900 etc
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

  3. #3
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: RAW format = .NEF file?

    Quote Originally Posted by spidey89 View Post
    have you tried updating the RAW plugin?if your RAW plugin is too old or your elements is too old,they cannot open newer camera RAW files,so to speak,lets say if you had Adobe photoshop 7,you can't open files from cameras like D3,A900 etc
    but how come my RAW files are not designated as ".RAW" files but as ".NEF" files instead?

    i am using WinXP btw.

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: RAW format = .NEF file?

    Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    when i transferred the ".NEF" images to my PC, i could only open them with Microsoft Fax and Picture Viewer. even so, each of the 5MB or so photos is highly pixellated and small in display dimension.
    What you see here is the embedded low resolution jpg picture. All raw files have this little jpg embedded for fast preview.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    and i could not open any of the pics with my old-version Adobe Photoshop Elements, although in the software, there is an option to open ".RAW" pictures. there is no option to open ".NEF" pictures though.
    RAW files are constantly updated and changed by the camera manufacturer, requiring updates in the RAW conversion software. The same goes for Adobe, the software needs to be updated for using RAW files of newer cameras.

  5. #5
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: RAW format = .NEF file?

    Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    but how come my RAW files are not designated as ".RAW" files but as ".NEF" files instead?

    i am using WinXP btw.
    NEF stands for Nikon Electronic Format.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #6
    Moderator spidey89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Western Singapore
    Posts
    8,154

    Default Re: RAW format = .NEF file?

    Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    but how come my RAW files are not designated as ".RAW" files but as ".NEF" files instead?

    i am using WinXP btw.
    you're using Nikon,that is Nikon's raw format name,for me,being an Olympus user,mine is .ORF example P1234567.ORF while Nikon will be smth like xxxxxxxx.NEF
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: RAW format = .NEF file?

    NEF file from each Nikon models are slightly different, so you need to constant update on your image viewing and editing programme.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: RAW format = .NEF file?

    Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    but how come my RAW files are not designated as ".RAW" files but as ".NEF" files instead?
    RAW refers to 'unprocessed', straight from the sensor and doesn't tell anything about the camera brand or model. The file name and extension is just an outside label. But thanks to M$ "glorious invention" many programs recognize files by the suffix instead of content. You could rename .NEF into .RAW - but it wouldn't change anything. Canon names the RAW files as .CR2 btw.

  9. #9
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: RAW format = .NEF file?

    i see. thanks for all the tips and input.

    i guess i can't view the photos directly unless i install the nikon software that came with the d70 package.

    my Photoshop Elements is obviously too old to be of use. and i have not tried opening the .NEF files in GIMP.


  10. #10
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: RAW format = .NEF file?

    Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    i guess i can't view the photos directly unless i install the nikon software that came with the d70 package.
    Or use any other software using either Nikon's import filter or having it's own. Lightroom, Aperture and other tools can do the same for you. From here you can do first and general adjustments, image management and much more. For the editing in PS you can "step aside" via tiff or psd files and return to Lightroom after finishing the work in PS. Nicely described in the Lightroom books.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-setting View Post
    my Photoshop Elements is obviously too old to be of use. and i have not tried opening the .NEF files in GIMP.
    For Gimp you'll need the respective plugins as well. Check UFRaw.
    Check Adobe.com about RAW plugin for NEF and PS Elements, too. They state clearly what needs to be updated in order to read and import NEF files. But maybe it's really time to upgrade your Photoshop version.

  11. #11
    Senior Member B-setting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Equator
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: RAW format = .NEF file?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Or use any other software using either Nikon's import filter or having it's own. Lightroom, Aperture and other tools can do the same for you. From here you can do first and general adjustments, image management and much more. For the editing in PS you can "step aside" via tiff or psd files and return to Lightroom after finishing the work in PS. Nicely described in the Lightroom books.


    For Gimp you'll need the respective plugins as well. Check UFRaw.
    Check Adobe.com about RAW plugin for NEF and PS Elements, too. They state clearly what needs to be updated in order to read and import NEF files. But maybe it's really time to upgrade your Photoshop version.

    thanks a million for all the tips above. appreciate you taking time to explain in detail.

    cheers!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •