Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any special plate glass that can shoot without or less reflections?

Default Re: Any special plate glass that can shoot without or less reflections?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Besides time, cannot take the risk of further damage to the posters.

What kind of time frame do you have? Between asking here and if you have to order the glass..etc Might help to know what kind of time frame you are really talking about so that ideas anyone can think up will have that as part of the consideration.

What posters are this? How would it finally be kept after the shoot? Rolled up again? Or mounted?..etc.

The first thing that came to mind was a hand held photo scanner back in the old days.. I am wonder if they still sell that, if they do you can scan in by portions and then stich in photoshop.

The other way will be use a flat bed scanner like Otega mentioned. Take the lid off off the scanner and just do it segment by segment.. it should not be that hard compared to all the time it takes ti wait for more ideas, order the glass, setup..etc. How big a reproduction are you using the shot for final production work? Print out to full life size or bigger???

There are actually scanning services in Singapore that can do large format scanning for you. Have you tried them? Here is the link to one.. they can so the scanning up to 54inches width.... here is the link or this one

The kind of copier that can scan or duplicate up to A0 would be using machine like the Fuji Xerox 6055/6035so seeking out any shop that uses this kind of scanner would proff theyhave the means to do the scanning for you.

Hope that is of some help

OR at the very least... they can let you duplicate a copy of it which you can then mount the copy to a flat board and then use your camera to shoot with the glass on top. No pricey glass or accidents from mishandling.
    Last edited by sammy888; 21st March 2009 at 03:59 AM.

Roy, I'm not sure what you mean by long metal bars. I get the image in my mind or bars going across the material. I donlt think this approach would work in this instance.

Your description is probably accurate to what I was suggesting...

If you can share a picture of the poster in its curled up form and parts of it to demonstrate the level of damage it already sustained the people here might be able to come up with better suggestions.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Thanks for replying Roy.

I'm afraid I can't post it up but one commercial tog saw it, his eyes , shook his head, and wished me good luck.

No worries.

As it stands, it appears that very heavy plate glass is the only (affordable) way to go right now.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 24th March 2009 at 01:46 AM.

How about just using normal weight glass and adding weights on top? Like, some table tops have a sheet of glass over it, can maybe lift the glass and place your poster under it, then after that place stacks of books/phone directories/encyclopedias etc on the glass to give the weight? Could be a cheaper, albeit slightly more troublesome, yet faster alternative to ordering and waiting.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Bro,
    1) what's the size of the artwork?
    2) what kind of art work? Oil painting, etc?
    3) any broders on the artwork which you can crop?

you might want to rethink using the glass again as you have mentioned that the glass may be 1cm think and catchlights is correct to point out double reflection of the artwork on the glass itself.

you may want to be careful of placing glass on top of your art work if it is really old and cracking, a pro tog many years back did this and, somehow some of the cracked artwork stick on the glass and damage the art work when the remove the glass. Maybe it is not the glass's fault and the artwork is already "peeling off" but if it's on your glass, it's your fault.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Bro,

you might want to rethink using the glass again as you have mentioned that the glass may be 1cm think and catchlights is correct to point out double reflection of the artwork on the glass itself.

you may want to be careful of placing glass on top of your art work if it is really old and cracking, a pro tog many years back did this and, somehow some of the cracked artwork stick on the glass and damage the art work when the remove the glass. Maybe it is not the glass's fault and the artwork is already "peeling off" but if it's on your glass, it's your fault.
    painted artwork, heavy glass... flat picture...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    painted artwork, heavy glass... flat picture...
    flat unitl the oil texture also flat liow
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

flat unitl the oil texture also flat liow
    thats the tricky part lor... thats y canvas oil paintings need to frame up then normally without a glass above.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Have you considered clear acrylic sheets? Can buy big sheets then supplier can cut to the size at roughly $1/cut. Available from 1.5mm up to 50mm thickness I think.

One supplier in Singapore after a quick google is:
    http://www.highie.com

No more health & safety issue on smashed glass, just heavy if u go thicker, so watch back-strain!!!
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

another suggestion tho...use a strong thin sheet of non-pliable plastic, lay it on top of the poster, lay them both on a flat vacuum tabletop, and then, vacuum suck it from below. plastic ensures perfect airtightness...and manual flattening aid.
    おれのflickrださ

Bro,

Thanks for sharing bro.

I see one distinctive problem emerging - the internal reflections in thick plate glass.

Do you think photographing the posters under the glass in small sections would minimise this? Then stitch everything together?

Perhaps those people working in the museum might have the proper solution.
    Does anyone here know any friend or what working in the museum, I suppose they are the expert.

Quote Originally Posted by eosandy View Post
    Have you considered clear acrylic sheets? Can buy big sheets then supplier can cut to the size at roughly $1/cut. Available from 1.5mm up to 50mm thickness I think.

One supplier in Singapore after a quick google is:
    http://www.highie.com

No more health & safety issue on smashed glass, just heavy if u go thicker, so watch back-strain!!!
    Safety is no longer an issue.

Internal reflections of the artwork is.

I once had some artwork framed and put behind glass. The guy sold me some very expensive glass as 'NASA glass' - which had pretty much zero reflections. You could watch the picture very much from any angle - without any reflection. Try to find that - that might help. And it came in reasonable thickness of some 3-5 mm

Blog Entries

if the artwork is oil/acrylic painting then you cannot light the artwork with flat light as the texture of the paint will not show
    and that is the whole point of oil/acrylic painting

i would think that your problem can be solved by time

time to let the artwork become flat without damaging it
    if i read correctly, this is an important piece of art
    don't rush in with cheap solutions

can't you hang the picture? Sandwich the edges with long metal bars or something like those they screw on newspaper at library or something. Then add weight to the bottom to straighten the artwork.

Another option, if it;s not a paiting, ironing, though not for priceless stuff.
    Shahrul Esa

Thanks for sharing bro.

I see one distinctive problem emerging - the internal reflections in thick plate glass.

Do you think photographing the posters under the glass in small sections would minimise this? Then stitch everything together?
    If the internal reflections are a concern then photographing in small sections using a long lens is probably necessary. But you may have other issues too:
    - The surfaces of the glass sheet needs to be as parallel to each other as possible, or else the internal reflections will still appear even though you're shooting perfectly perpendicular to the glass sheet.
    - And you do have to make sure that you're shooting perpendicular to the glass sheet as far as possible, and no tilting allowed.

Not sure how precise all these need to be though. Best is to check each shot on a computer to look out for reflections before repositioning the camera I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by shahrulesa View Post
    can't you hang the picture? Sandwich the edges with long metal bars or something like those they screw on newspaper at library or something. Then add weight to the bottom to straighten the artwork.

Another option, if it;s not a paiting, ironing, though not for priceless stuff.
    since when painting ever gets ironed? u wan smudges?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    DM, the old school ways of doing copyworks dealing with this is using polarizer gel on lights itself, remember?

if you have lots of posters need to be secure and flatten during a copyworks, can make a vacuum easel, saw Bernard of Spectra Color Lab DIY one.

no matter how thin the glass it is, it might still create double images.

hope this help.
    Get the 3M study lamp?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast