Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When do we use a lens hood?

Default Re: When do we use a lens hood?

*smack forehead*

have you read any part of this thread at all????

hoods prevent stray light from entering the lens which can cause lens flare.

lens-specific petal-shaped hoods are designed for more protection against stray light without vignetting i.e. blocking out the corners. Lens are round, sensor is rectangular.
    Quote Originally Posted by scandal599 View Post
    okay dude...let me state first I am a canon user and not a nikon user. but what I saw on lens review, the front element rotates. In that sense, I want to ask one question: why do you need a lens hood in the first place, and of all things, a petal one?
    Last edited by kaikibbler; 5th April 2009 at 11:56 PM.
    D90 | 16-85mmVR | 70-300mmVR | AF-S 50mm 1.4

okay dude...let me state first I am a canon user and not a nikon user. but what I saw on lens review, the front element rotates. In that sense, I want to ask one question: why do you need a lens hood in the first place, and of all things, a petal one?
    ok so... imagine your shooting a nice sunny day with a shot sort of into the sun...
    snap pic and

AAAAH
    whats that ugly light refractions in the middle of the lens?
    well i honestly dont actuallly scientifically know... but i do know in some instances it looks bad, sometimes it can look good hey? btw this effect is called flaring

sooo cut to the chase... lens hood there stops some of these sun rays hitting your lens at an awkward angle and causing the flaring... thats my simplest explanation? haha

Quote Originally Posted by kaikibbler View Post
    *smack forehead*

have you read any part of this thread at all????

hoods prevent stray light from entering the lens which can cause lens flare.

lens-specific petal-shaped hoods are designed for more protection against stray light without vignetting i.e. blocking out the corners. Lens are round, sensor is rectangular.
    dun get me wrong. let me explain.

I know that hoods are used to prevent flares and the petal shaped is designed to prevent stray light from entering the sensor. The 18-55 lens is very susceptible to lens flares. Even if you use a normal shallow hood like the OEM HB-45, the flares will still occur. If you use a petal hood, it makes things even worse esp more so if the front element is rotating. May be I did not phrase my question properly. If you were to get a hood, the greatest use for it will be at the longer focal length of 55. The lens flare problem as far as i understand for this lens is on the side and backlit subjects.

Why not you use a screw on rubber hoodlike this http://www.pictureline.com/products/...ber_Lens_Hood/ which can be angle adjusted or get a better lens.

Oop, my mistake. I think you were responding to another poster instead of asking a general question. Sorry.
    dun get me wrong. let me explain.

I know that hoods are used to prevent flares and the petal shaped is designed to prevent stray light from entering the sensor. The 18-55 lens is very susceptible to lens flares. Even if you use a normal shallow hood like the OEM HB-45, the flares will still occur. If you use a petal hood, it makes things even worse esp more so if the front element is rotating. May be I did not phrase my question properly. If you were to get a hood, the greatest use for it will be at the longer focal length of 55. The lens flare problem as far as i understand for this lens is on the side and backlit subjects.

Why not you use a screw on rubber hoodlike this http://www.pictureline.com/products/...ber_Lens_Hood/ which can be angle adjusted or get a better lens.
    D90 | 16-85mmVR | 70-300mmVR | AF-S 50mm 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by kaikibbler View Post
    Oop, my mistake. I think you were responding to another poster instead of asking a general question. Sorry.
    no worries

Quote Originally Posted by rgy1993 View Post
    ok so... imagine your shooting a nice sunny day with a shot sort of into the sun...
    snap pic and

AAAAH
    well i honestly dont actuallly scientifically know... but i do know in some instances it looks bad, sometimes it can look good hey? btw this effect is called flaring

sooo cut to the chase... lens hood there stops some of these sun rays hitting your lens at an awkward angle and causing the flaring... thats my simplest explanation? haha

i also can tell that the lens is a 8 blade aperture.

What u have presented presents 2 problems in lenses: Ghosting and Flaring.

The simplest form of explanation is as such:

Flaring occurs when light reflected from the lens surface and inside the barrel and inside the inner walls of the mirror box reaching the sensor. Flaring itself is also used when referring to the effects of blurring and halo due to SA and CA.

The other I see is ghosting in the pic presented.

ok 1st of all,i didnt hv tat in mind(rotating front element),so i checked n ive realised,u guys cn stop abt the petal hood thingy

n no,my lens dnt hv a hood..if i hv,y wud i be lookin for it? am i rite??

n yes,exactly,to prevent flares,that's y i want one,n its my money anyways...
    so im lookin for a barrell 52mm hood..pls...

i noe hb-45 is quite ex...mayb im looking for 3rd-party one...gosh
    NIKON D60|18-55mm|18-200mm|Raynox DCR 250|Di622
    Fail to plan is planning to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by irritainment View Post

Well 3rd party lens hood would'nt look as cool...

i use a hood as a form of lens protection generally
    The Few...The PROUD...

I often end up with photos like that too when my hood is put on

Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    the hood might block ur built-in-flash when it fires. the result may be shadows appearing on the bottom of ur picture, especially if u are shooting at the widest end. i am not sure if that will be the case for ur 18-55, since it is quite small.

An example from a victim on flickr. (from member neildettwiler)

as a general rule, use it when needed. just dump in ur camera bag. use it as and when u see fit.

snap pic and

AAAAH

aiming at the sun, the lenshood will NOT cut away the flare like this, but lens cap will.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by cutecdo View Post
    Well 3rd party lens hood would'nt look as cool...
    this third party lenshood looks cool.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

imho, lens hood are more for protection for me.. i shoot indoors with lens hood !
    bump into anything, its protected in some cases !
    A mad, keen photographer needs to get out into the world and work and make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    woah...

Now THAT's cool

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    The price even cooler.

snap pic and

AAAAH

You're shooting directly into the sun. The lens hood won't help you one bit here.

LOL!

that lens hood is super-duper cool! lol!

haha..okok....so it seems that i dnt a lens hood after all...
    i get the msg...thx guys..alot...for all ur help...
    cheers~
    NIKON D60|18-55mm|18-200mm|Raynox DCR 250|Di622
    Fail to plan is planning to fail.

The lens hood is effective only in blocking "stray light". That is, if the light source is not in the picture. w/o a hood, the rays could hit the front element at an angle and enter the lens.

In the sample given, there is no different whether there is lens hood or not, since the light source is in the frame, it is not "stray light" but is part of the picture elements/subject.

snap pic and

AAAAH

Quote Originally Posted by irritainment View Post
    ok 1st of all,i didnt hv tat in mind(rotating front element),so i checked n ive realised,u guys cn stop abt the petal hood thingy

n no,my lens dnt hv a hood..if i hv,y wud i be lookin for it? am i rite??

third party ones are usually just screw one ones, you cant use a filter but yes their pretty darn cheap...
    btw if ur just getting one to look "cool" i duno if its worth it? haha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123