Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Never use step up ring!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Never use step up ring!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the first time i have heard of such a thing happening.

i think you happily unscrewed your step up ring and/or polariser when you were fiddling around with it. this is not really the step up ring's fault, unless it is faulty.

sorry for being harsh, but if you had taken better care of your equipment (putting it near water without a logical reason, the horror!) this would not have happened. please remember not to go around rescuing stray coke bottles while changing lenses, if not you will tell people not to ever use lenses after you knock them into the water by accident.

just kidding about the above, actually. live and learn!

I cant belive i saved the coke bottle with a resale value of 10 cents? and drop my filters that cost a total of $100++.PUB is $100 richer

LOL i put near coz i got a mini tripod on the barrier.My lense is a d40 lense is kit lens(no money)the filter is Nikon UV(N) filter,the step up ring is konica,the CPL is hoya original price 105 but uncle at MS give discount to 80

common sense. never never open your camera bag, attach something to your camera, load film, change CF cards etc near the edge of water, next to a long kang, manhole etc...

now you have learned your lesson.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Actually, this would make excellent material for an episode of Mr Bean.

You didn't test the ring's tightness at the shop ar?
    Meow!

Is not i do thing near water.My subject kena blown away then when i catch that time hit the loose filterr

In a few hundreds of years time, when matrichie resevoir is no longer need and had dried up, someone happen to dig up your ancient filter and auction it for $1 million.

i have a step up ring and used it so many times without any problem. it is either a faulty screw thread on either the step up ring or filter, or you have unscrew it while handling it unknowingly... next time check before purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by lamergod View Post
    Today afternoon i went to ms color to buy a polarizing filter and a step up ring coz it was cheaper than having 1 filter for every lense.i bought i it 93 total.Shortly after,i went to matrichie resevoir to try out.First,i took out some things from my bag and i wanted to clip it back but it was hard so i took a long time.Wheen you use a step up ring it is always lose(for my case not sure bout others).Then i dropped!!! Got one small part chipped luckly nv affect the i carry on shooting.Then i took my empty coke bottle on a barrer to take a shoot with the lake,wind blow!DROP! then i go catch .SUDDENLY!!!!!!!I accidently hit my filter it was attatch to a UV filter .walao drop into the lake!!!!!Gone case.....Chao suay sia
    if you don't know how to use something properly, or have a faulty device, pls don't go around telling others not to use a similar product.
    eat. drink. shoot

Is not i do thing near water.My subject kena blown away then when i catch that time hit the loose filterr
    maybe you won't drop a filter into the lake next time, but a lens cap, or a lens.

anyway, CPL filter has two rings and it is rotatable, using it with a step up or step down ring is simply not advisable, high chance of filter get stuck with the step up or step down ring.

Blog Entries

sounds like PLBV

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    sounds like PLBV
    Pleas allow me to decode/translate,

Problem lies behind viewfinder

vince123123
    Guests

Whilst the problem may indeed lie with the user, I would like to add that the quality of the threads in the step up right are usually of poorer quality than those found on filters, which in turn are poorer in quality to those found in lenses - generally.

It is much easier to strip or cross the threads in a step up right because the metal generally is of lower quality/ softer / thinner, as compared to filters. In changing fast and numerous times, I have cross/stripped threads in step up rings before. I've very occassionaly stripped threads in filters and never for lenses.

Hence, there is SOME small degree of truth, although I woudl think with care, actually all these can be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Whilst the problem may indeed lie with the user, I would like to add that the quality of the threads in the step up right are usually of poorer quality than those found on filters, which in turn are poorer in quality to those found in lenses - generally.

It is much easier to strip or cross the threads in a step up right because the metal generally is of lower quality/ softer / thinner, as compared to filters. In changing fast and numerous times, I have cross/stripped threads in step up rings before. I've very occassionaly stripped threads in filters and never for lenses.

Hence, there is SOME small degree of truth, although I woudl think with care, actually all these can be avoided.
    That's why I bought the B+W step up ring. It is well made. It's very expensive at local shops, but it's very affordable from Amazon. Got mine at about USD14. I ship it with a bunch of other stuff through Borderlinx. So, I'd imagine it costs around S$25 inclusive of shipping?

The reason why I use a step up is because I have a very good B+W KSM CPL which I use mainly on my wider lens at 77mm. My tele lens is 67mm. So, an adaptor is necessary.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 18th March 2009 at 04:32 PM.

This thread brought a question to my mind, step up ring plus CPL, will there be any cases of uneven polarizing?

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    This thread brought a question to my mind, step up ring plus CPL, will there be any cases of uneven polarizing?
    nope, unless your lens filter thread is larger than the CPL filter, and it will have vignetting.

What an expensive lesson.....the way it is placed on the lense is (BODY-Lense-UV-Step Up Ring-CPL) i turned the step up ring to the max but its still loose leh very easy come out wait until i save enuf again i go back shop tell the ms color uncle i think he will laugh
    How do you know it is max when it is still loose? or are you turning the CPL instead?

can somebody explain again what's with the coke bottle? !!

pardon me for being thick-headed.

Blog Entries

TS wanted to shoot an empty coke bottle and then the bottle dropped
    as he was trying to catch the falling bottle
    he hit his filter and the filter went into the water

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast