Thread: newbie:Nikon SB-600 or Nissin Di622?

Default newbie:Nikon SB-600 or Nissin Di622?

Hi newbie here, i just wondering which one i should buy...anyone can advice pls?

Default Re: newbie:Nikon SB-600 or Nissin Di622?

READ MORE...

if you're using a Nikon, try to stick with their flashes, they are much better. IMO
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Without giving us any additional details like what you are doing with the flash, what equipment you are currently using, whether you need TTL, it's hard to answer your question.

Oh im sorry..im using nikon d90 with 18-105 kit lens..im going to help out my friends for his wedding dinner (chinese traditional 1) and do 'snap shot' during the dinner (he have the PRO). i hardly use flash so far..So is that really necessary to have a external flash unit?

Quote Originally Posted by jsnnyh View Post
    Oh im sorry..im using nikon d90 with 18-105 kit lens..im going to help out my friends for his wedding dinner (chinese traditional 1) and do 'snap shot' during the dinner (he have the PRO). i hardly use flash so far..So is that really necessary to have a external flash unit?
    Yes, get a SB-600 and practise more first before the actual day.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Appreciate...thanks

jsnnyh, you can never go wrong with a nikon speedlite unless yours is spoilt.

nikon makes wonderful flashes, and they are the best amongst all other brands, why settle for 3rd party ?

I was like you, naive and bought other brands too... but in the end i bought an sb-600. and i intend to get more nikon flashes.

im thinking is that 3rd party equipment like flash unit , lenses, battery...etc..will void the warranty if any happen to the body? If this really happen, the local service centre can trace back whether u r using genuine or 3rd party equipment?

Sb-600. Never regret buying it. User-friendly, powerful and compact(i think).

Why scrimp on a flash unit when u really need it, Nikon flash would not cost alot more then the 3rd party. even though there isnt anyway they can check whether you been using 3rd party.

Based on your question and your needs, then I agree will all the posts that rec the SB600. Budget aside, it will be better in the long run.

As a sidenote, 3rd party flashes can be considered when they are "better" than Nikon flashes, where better, I mean for some aspect that the photographer needs, eg power. In the example of requiring more power (because of the use of heavy diffusers plus bounce (think GF Cloudy Lightspheres) which can chop 1-2 stops of light off), then considering high end 3rd party flashes like Metz 54s and Quantum Q-flashes may be more appropriate.

For info: the power of the flashes at ISO 100/ 1metre/ 35mm spread are:

SB600: GN 30
    SB800: GN 38
    SB900: GN 40
    Metz 54-MZ4i : GN 54

I have both Nikon and Metz flashes and use both depending on the shooting conditions.

Ohh....and yes...both Metz and Q-flashes can TTL to Nikon........

Squall
    photography by SQUALL "Shoot with purpose....."
    www.LittlePictureShop.com