Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Any place to shoot starry nites?

  1. #1

    Default Any place to shoot starry nites?

    As above? pls recommend..
    oh ya..and the settings and setup too

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    you are asking for the sky ...
    literally

    where are you located in this universe?
    singapore is not the good place to do this as there is too much cloud.
    travel north or south, summer is best (summer = dry = no rain = no cloud)
    try australia outback (desert). At night (it is cold) in summer, in the desert (not many people, not many house, not near city - it is dark so it is good), when the sky is clear, you can take star trail shots. Use normal landscape lense like 12 mm or below. Make sure your camera can handle the cold, and your battery is fully charged cos shot like this takes ... HOURS (bulb mode).
    http://images.google.com.sg/images?q...trail%20photos
    I never taken this, have not been lucky to be close to desert.

    If you are looking for nebula shots then you are in the wrong forum, go to singastro.org and they can teach you. You might end up buying a hubble telescope
    That is another BBB virus, close to photography but with more powerful set of lense and mirrors, and tracking mechanism (you need to track the star) or else the will become trail like above.
    Last edited by aryanto; 17th March 2009 at 06:42 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    And remember to read up on the guides in the Night Photography forum.
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    it all depends on the time on the yr. but if u want to locate the north star to create a circular trail, it is quite unlikely in Singapore.
    here are some samples, but there are better ones out there in Night Photography section.

    closest I have in singapore is http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3508/...8364e0cf_o.jpg (60 images stacked, each 1 min exposure)

    and if you want a static one, this is from malaysia, http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/...f48e6a5f_o.jpg

    recently, sky hasn't been the most optimal for shooting stars.

  5. #5
    Member kenkht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    IMO, Singapore is rubbish for shooting "starry nites" TOO BRIGHT! Clouds is not so much of a problem as it gives interesting perspective but lights from the city literally kills the star lights.

    Malaysia maybe but not optimum. Maybe if you can go to the Tibetan plateau, you might just be able to see part of the Milky way formation... but of course that is taking it to the extreme.

    I read of a town in New Zealand that purposely reduce their light output at night so that the night sky can be viewed in its full glory and they are trying to attain some sort of Heritage status for that. Forgot the name of that town though.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    wow..i'm not so feverish as to shoot the milky way or stuffs. hmm...star trails are interesting but i dont think they look nice? haa..

    i do remember i'd seen the sky with lots of stars before in sg. but then, thats quite some time back and i dont remember where.

    i'm looking for more to something like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/paszcza...7600461041877/

    say, if we use those sky telescopes for land shots, we'll be able to shoot across the seas?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    Never try starry night kind of shoot in Singapore before... But you can try areas around LCK/Sarimbun area.. thats 1 of the better place in Singapore that i could get a good view of the night sky with all the stars.. even so, there's still light pollution from Johor...

    Singapore is not a good place to shoot stars, been to rural NZ once... it was stunning! but didn't pack my camera & lens along then!
    Playing with M43.

  8. #8
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    Taken from my hotel balcony.
    Using 100 shots with 1 min exposure per shot.
    Not sure when that airplane trail came into my frame...

    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  9. #9

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247 View Post
    Taken from my hotel balcony.
    Using 100 shots with 1 min exposure per shot.
    Not sure when that airplane trail came into my frame...

    Which program did you use to combine all those shots together?

  10. #10
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy View Post
    Which program did you use to combine all those shots together?
    Check out this thread.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    Any island offshore Malaysia can give you already a very nice sky. I remember when I was at Perhentian with friends. They were stunned by the sky there. And since there are just a few bungalows it's easy to find a dark spot at the beach without stray light. Milky Way was great!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    Singapore? dont bother.. U will NEVER Get any starry pics.. I tried that out so many times.. Coz its either cloudy.. Too much light from nearby buildings.. or that the stars doesnt shine in sg.. the most u can get is the moon.. I also want to take starry night pictures!!
    EOS 30D+50mm MKII+18-55mm IS.. What I use do not define me.. Its the photos that I take that will..

  13. #13
    Member kenkht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    Quote Originally Posted by seiji87 View Post
    Singapore? dont bother.. U will NEVER Get any starry pics.. I tried that out so many times.. Coz its either cloudy.. Too much light from nearby buildings.. or that the stars doesnt shine in sg.. the most u can get is the moon.. I also want to take starry night pictures!!
    You're right but not about the clouds and stars not shining brightly.. the stars and clouds will remain the same throughout the ages. So therefore by elimination, only left lights. Singapore is heavily polluted by lights. Read more about light pollution at http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...inkenborg-text

  14. #14

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    As mentioned, its hard to shoot starry skies in Singapore as the surroundings are too bright.
    Just cup your hands and shield your eyes while looking up, you usually can see an appreciable difference. Your best bet is to find an big open field or deserted stretch of beach.

    I was in Australia one night in a drop zone, it was a half an hour drive to any civilization, when I looked up at the sky....

  15. #15
    Member Cashmere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    As mentioned, its hard to shoot starry skies in Singapore as the surroundings are too bright.
    Just cup your hands and shield your eyes while looking up, you usually can see an appreciable difference. Your best bet is to find an big open field or deserted stretch of beach.

    I was in Australia one night in a drop zone, it was a half an hour drive to any civilization, when I looked up at the sky....

    I agree.. I went to Australia for the first time and I was starstruck by the amount of stars and their brightness.. The sky was awesome really..

  16. #16

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    I think it doesn't necessarily has to do with too many lights. I was living in Osaka where i can see the whole city from where i was, but when i looked up at the sky.. O_O;; It was sooo clear....!! People say pollution is bad in osaka, but i think singapore should be worse...especially jurong area...or perhaps the atmosphere is different At most I can see only 3 or 4 stars...but in osaka....maybe 300-400?

  17. #17
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    They say a person with naked eye can see around 6,000 starts when the sky is clear. I guess there is only one occasion when Singaporeans can see so many stars.. around National Day

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    Quote Originally Posted by gnohz View Post
    I think it doesn't necessarily has to do with too many lights. I was living in Osaka where i can see the whole city from where i was, but when i looked up at the sky.. O_O;; It was sooo clear....!! People say pollution is bad in osaka, but i think singapore should be worse...especially jurong area...or perhaps the atmosphere is different At most I can see only 3 or 4 stars...but in osaka....maybe 300-400?
    it is bad in sg because sg is in the tropics, lots of cloud.

    we are talking about light pollution meaning at night it is too bright. ambient light cause your pupil to close off, making faint light from star difficult to enter and recognised by your eyes.
    But however if you camp at night in lim chu kang for example, say at about 3 or 4 am, I think you can see star. If not then see ghost.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    it is bad in sg because sg is in the tropics, lots of cloud.

    we are talking about light pollution meaning at night it is too bright. ambient light cause your pupil to close off, making faint light from star difficult to enter and recognised by your eyes.
    But however if you camp at night in lim chu kang for example, say at about 3 or 4 am, I think you can see star. If not then see ghost.
    lol.. i rather see the stars then see ghost.. at least i can take photos of the stars..

    yep, light from the surroundings in sg is really bright, and its really cloudy.. hmmm.. waiting for 28th march. See if the people in my area will really switch off the lights.. and see the gov will switch off the lights in sg too!! Coz i rmb that time my area kena black out.. damn nice!! I could see a lot of stars!! But that was the only time..
    EOS 30D+50mm MKII+18-55mm IS.. What I use do not define me.. Its the photos that I take that will..

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Any place to shoot starry nites?

    Quote Originally Posted by seiji87 View Post
    lol.. i rather see the stars then see ghost.. at least i can take photos of the stars..

    yep, light from the surroundings in sg is really bright, and its really cloudy.. hmmm.. waiting for 28th march. See if the people in my area will really switch off the lights.. and see the gov will switch off the lights in sg too!! Coz i rmb that time my area kena black out.. damn nice!! I could see a lot of stars!! But that was the only time..
    you can pray for blackout that happen once ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •