Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compact or DSLR??

Default Re: Compact or DSLR??

Depend on what you need... if you are just shooting once in awhile for the family trip/events etc... sizewise, then compact is the way to go... no point lugging a DSLR...

Cost wise; of course is compact... a 10MP 10X Zoom compact/semi-pro would be much more cheaper than a 10MP DSLR with an equivalent appx 200mm lens

BUT if you're intending to shoot @ night... or wanting to achieve those special effect.. sees a limitation in your compact and is financially able and able to afford the time needed to focus on this hobby... why not? Get a DSLR system!
    Playing with M43.

A good photo is not about image quality (determined by camera) but composition (operator dependant). You can get good photo even if the IQ is not so good, only thing is that you will be frustrated.

Understand the limitation of your equipment and work around it. Understand the type of photos you want to take and work within the limitation of your camera. If you find that the pns consistently hinder your style of photography then maybe you then you want to change camera.

There is no denying dSLR gives better IQ but if you are lousy in doing a proper composition (like me ) then the photos will just be mediocre whether taken with PnS or dSLR.

I change (don't like to call upgrade) from PnS to dSLR because my PnS was very limited when it comes to taking photos in dim light which I will normally need to use during my travel. I still miss my PnS for the convenience it gives.

Then be prepared to spend once you buy dSLR, cos there are many accessories that you can buy (whether needed or not ). Most of use cannot resist the BBB virus
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Why not get an external flash like the 480EX2 first and learn to play around with you flash.... after you get the hang of it then upgrade to a dslr (the flash could still be used in a canon eos system)....

Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    definitely DSLR lor...

U can do alot more using DSLR...

best part of it is BBB!
    Bro, about BBB you left out something in your sentence above

U can do alot more ... damage to your wallet by ... using DSLR...

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Bro, about BBB you left out something in your sentence above

U can do alot more ... damage to your wallet by ... using DSLR...
    Shhhhh....dis one cannot say...must let him discover...

I always enjoyed doin BBB

Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    Shhhhh....dis one cannot say...must let him discover...

I always enjoyed doin BBB
    isnt BBB virus ALWAYS result in wallet damage?
    What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others. - Confucius

comparing DC and DSLR.... the image quality is VERY different....
    if you are into photography... get a DSLR.... and enjoy it...
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

Hi!

Pardon my noob question.
    Compact camera doesn't belong to the DSLR category right?
    As I'm looking for a camera that is similar to DSLR but lesser functions to tweak on or maybe lesser stuffs to invest on.=X
    Then I stumbled on Compact cameras such as Canon SX10 IS and seen people taking great photos using it.
    However, I saw threads or post that says they will buy additional flash or lens etc. Is that necessary?
    I hope the body itself could produce great pictures already.

Not sure if I could add another question here?

Which Compact camera will you all buy, Nikon L100(which is relatively new) or Canon SX10 IS?

Quote Originally Posted by SwirlLolli View Post
    Hi!

Pardon my noob question.
    Compact camera doesn't belong to the DSLR category right?
    As I'm looking for a camera that is similar to DSLR but lesser functions to tweak on or maybe lesser stuffs to invest on.=X
    Then I stumbled on Compact cameras such as Canon SX10 IS and seen people taking great photos using it.
    However, I saw threads or post that says they will buy additional flash or lens etc. Is that necessary?
    I hope the body itself could produce great pictures already.

Not sure if I could add another question here?

Which Compact camera will you all buy, Nikon L100(which is relatively new) or Canon SX10 IS?

Actually it really have to depend on the type of photos that you take... if you are not taking one of the following shots:

• Require a large print-out
    • High ISO shots
    • DoF images

Most often a good compact or Prosumer Pns is a better choice for you.....

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Actually it really have to depend on the type of photos that you take... if you are not taking one of the following shots:

• Require a large print-out
    • High ISO shots
    • DoF images

Most often a good compact or Prosumer Pns is a better choice for you.....
    Actually I'm wondering in what way do we need high ISO shots. I look at the comparison for the high ISO shots and realised that the higher ISO the quality ain't really that good.

Actually I'm wondering in what way do we need high ISO shots. I look at the comparison for the high ISO shots and realised that the higher ISO the quality ain't really that good.
    Then you haven't shot enough to understand the advantage that good quality high ISO shots have on your photography.

High ISO allows you to shoot shots in very dim light (with the right lenses to accompany of course) like these:

High ISO is needed mainly in low light conditions. However if you are shooting a stationary subject and have a tripod with you... I see no special reason why you would need to shoot at high ISO (anyone? )...

High ISO is needed mainly in low light conditions. However if you are shooting a stationary subject and have a tripod with you... I see no special reason why you would need to shoot at high ISO (anyone? )...
    Nope. But how often do you have a tripod and a totally still subject? Besides still life, architecture or landscape, if you shoot events, parties, gatherings etc., especially in available light, you will need quality high ISO images. Even with using flash, pumping your ISO helps to make flash look more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhong View Post
    isnt BBB virus ALWAYS result in wallet damage?
    The BBB virus is bad. When I just got my a200, I was said to myself, I WILL make full use of what I have before buying any accessories. But this is what happened...
    - The next day I got the HVL-42AM
    - The next month I got the SAL50F14

Less than 6 months and 5 lenses later, I realised that I may need another dry cab soon...

A point to take note though, the first photos I taken with a DSLR is quite bad as compared to the ones I've taken using PnS. Things improves over time but DSLR and PnS remained two very different creatures...

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Nope. But how often do you have a tripod and a totally still subject? Besides still life, architecture or landscape, if you shoot events, parties, gatherings etc., especially in available light, you will need quality high ISO images. Even with using flash, pumping your ISO helps to make flash look more natural.
    Agreed... in shooting events a Tripod is seldom used... But beside pumping up your ISO you can also either bounce/diffuse your external flash & use a lower shutter speed (depend on photographer & subject) to get the ambient lighting.

To me basically there is only 4 elements in your camera: Shutter Speed, Aperture, ISO & Flash. A typical dslr excel in area like ISO & Aperture (DoF control), however a "similar dslr-like" photo may also be achieve on a prosumer camera (non-dslr) by compensating the other elements. Agree?

Quote Originally Posted by photatographer View Post
    Less than 6 months and 5 lenses later, I realised that I may need another dry cab soon..

Abit curious... what are the other lens that you eventually purchase for your Alpha?

A typical dslr excel in area like ISO & Aperture (DoF control), however a "similar dslr-like" photo may also be achieve on a prosumer camera (non-dslr) by compensating the other elements. Agree?

Compensating the other elements? Means is to get a better lenses and all?

I wonder which prosumer camera will you all suggest?I have browse through the various threads but mostly talks about DSLR.

Compensating the other elements? Means is to get a better lenses and all?

I wonder which prosumer camera will you all suggest?I have browse through the various threads but mostly talks about DSLR.
    The "elements"/factor I mention earlier were:

1. Shutter Speed
    2. Aperture
    3. ISO
    4. Flash

Generally prosumer camera come with a fix lens, so you can't replace the lens but only add to it.

OT abit from the TS question, if you are going for prosumer camera, I would recommend the Panasonic FZ50. Currently I think (correct me if I am wrong...) it is the only non-dslr that offer manual zoom/focus rings with an external TTL flash control.

My shots on using the FZ50 can be found on the following thread:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...=350711&page=4

Abit curious... what are the other lens that you eventually purchase for your Alpha?
    Hmmm... my current inventory of lenses are as follows. All lower cost options No Gs no CZs

1. Kit lens SAL1870
    2. SAL50F14
    3. SAL18250
    4. Beercan (From a fellow CSer)
    5. Raynox DCR250 (not really a lens)
    6. Sigma 10-20mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast