Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

  1. #41

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    DSLR rental rates aren't super cheap I guess. But the Camera Rental Centre along South Bridge Rd has special 50% off deals on Saturdays. Rent from Sat afternoon and return on monday afternoon for 50% off the usual rates. If you're lucky, can even rent the D700! There are others who are renting as well.
    The other way is to join a group outing, and try others' cameras during the shoot.

    Curtain sync (either rear or front) is when your camera exposes for the dark background, and then fires off the flash at the end (rear) or beginning (front) of the exposure, to light up your subject.

    External flash is certainly useful! Use it with flash diffusers (DIY or purchased) to achieve soft lighting.
    hmm..still don't understand the curtain sync part.

    i just googled for their website. they have 1 day and 3 day rates.. but it's a little confusing .

    "1) Collect 1 day before your shoot, and return 1 day after your shoot."
    does this count as ONE day rate or THREE day rate?

    if without discount, 450d with 35mm f2 and 580exII will set me back about $70 for a day already.

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Imagine this: Some one is kicking at ball and you are taking a photo at a slow shutter speed with flash. The action takes place as long as the shutter is open

    Front curtain: Flash fires before the action is complete, so the blur occurs in front of the leg.

    Rear curtain: Flash fires when the action is complete (shutter is closing). The blur happpens behind the leg so it looks more natural.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    hmm interesting.. i did a read up on curtain sync and found out it's actually just slow-sync flash, but with the option to choose front or rear curtain sync.

    "Flash
    Activated via a small switch on the top plate and standing taller than some of its rivals, the LX3’s small built-in flash offers Auto, Auto with red-eye reduction, Forced on and Slow sync with red-eye reduction in auto mode. Flash compensation can be selected via the up button, and there’s also an option to set up rear-curtain sync for some arty effects. "

    interesting that my camera also has rear-curtain sync option, but no idea how to activate it. there's no mention of it in the manual, and even rarer online. seems that v few ppl use this?
    Last edited by savager; 20th March 2009 at 08:11 PM.

  4. #44
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    i believe most ppl with DSLR own PNS as well... the thing with PNS is about convenience.... but the DOF sucks big time.... i hope technology regarding extended DOF in PNS will improve over time... now it is still far far away from what a DSLR can offers... so to me, the DOF is the key reason why an DSLR is impt to me... PNS picture are just way too flat for me...
    wat is extended DOF?

  5. #45
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    talking about jpeg vs raw ( yeah the same old 1 argued to death ) again.. to me there's really little point in using RAW, since there are already in-camera adjustments like NR, barrel distortion to the JPEG. if i were to shoot in RAW, still have to spend a lot of time editing the picture, and sometimes it turns out less desirable than the original jpeg. that's why almost everytime i shoot in jpeg, if not jpeg+raw ( but normally i'll dump the raws after looking at the jpgs )

    a show of hands : who still uses MF on their DSLRs? what's the advantage over it? don't see the point using it..
    some cheap and sharp lenses are available only in MF. being able to use MF well in a way means you can use these sharp lenses at an affordable price.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    hmm, but having MF defeats the purpose of having sharp lenses right? anyone dares to say they can focus 100% of the time accurately? such things must 'agar agar' one using your eyes.. so i think no point =/

  7. #47

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    wat is extended DOF?
    sorry, i dnt knw.. i saw this phrase in the new palm pre smart phone camera... u just google extend depth of field, it should show you the palm pre link... think now only this smart phone marketing this... cheers...
    life is but a dream...

  8. #48

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    talking about jpeg vs raw ( yeah the same old 1 argued to death ) again.. to me there's really little point in using RAW, since there are already in-camera adjustments like NR, barrel distortion to the JPEG. if i were to shoot in RAW, still have to spend a lot of time editing the picture, and sometimes it turns out less desirable than the original jpeg. that's why almost everytime i shoot in jpeg, if not jpeg+raw ( but normally i'll dump the raws after looking at the jpgs )
    RAW stores greater dynamic range. That gives you more flexibility to adjust exposure (and white balance) in post. This is especially important in shoots where you don't have time to perfect your settings, e.g. sports, model shoots (dun want to waste their time, especially if they're charging per/hour), candids, covering events, weddings, etc.
    D90 | 16-85mmVR | 70-300mmVR | AF-S 50mm 1.4

  9. #49

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    yep, everytime they'll discuss about both white balance and exposure. however i think the white balance benefit is overhyped. i can do the same adjustments to a JPEG in Camera RAW and get almost similar results ( assuming you're not doing 100% size print ). if not can use photoshop to put a colored overcast. many ways around it..

    anyway my 8gb sdcard is damn slow ( class 4 lexar ).. can't take it. takes like 5seconds just to delete a raw+jpg file. so my choice is still jpeg eventually..

  10. #50
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    i believe most ppl with DSLR own PNS as well... the thing with PNS is about convenience.... but the DOF sucks big time.... i hope technology regarding extended DOF in PNS will improve over time... now it is still far far away from what a DSLR can offers... so to me, the DOF is the key reason why an DSLR is impt to me... PNS picture are just way too flat for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    sorry, i dnt knw.. i saw this phrase in the new palm pre smart phone camera... u just google extend depth of field, it should show you the palm pre link... think now only this smart phone marketing this... cheers...
    Errr... really? Your comments seem to conclude that the DSLR offers much better "extended DOF" then the PnS. If you don't know what 'extended DOF' is, how do you draw such a conclusion?
    To me it seems like you got the concept reversed, but I dare not make any judgement on your knowledge, since I'm no expert as well.
    Just to clarify, you do know that PnS generally have much deeper DOF than DSLRs, right? This is principally because PnS cameras have lenses with extremely short focal lengths.
    Exploring! :)

  11. #51

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Errr... really? Your comments seem to conclude that the DSLR offers much better "extended DOF" then the PnS. If you don't know what 'extended DOF' is, how do you draw such a conclusion?
    To me it seems like you got the concept reversed, but I dare not make any judgement on your knowledge, since I'm no expert as well.
    Just to clarify, you do know that PnS generally have much deeper DOF than DSLRs, right? This is principally because PnS cameras have lenses with extremely short focal lengths.
    ya, some expert already corrected me on that le... cheers...
    life is but a dream...

  12. #52
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Mind if I ask a "simple" question? Does the shutter life in the dslr refer to the life of the physical shutter button or the whole mirror assembly?

    If I have a VG and use the shutter button instead, does that means that I have double shutter life?

  13. #53
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Mind if I ask a "simple" question? Does the shutter life in the dslr refer to the life of the physical shutter button or the whole mirror assembly?

    If I have a VG and use the shutter button instead, does that means that I have double shutter life?
    shutter refers to the window that blocks and opens the sensor to exposure. it is inside, behind the mirror assembly.

    anyway, shutter is not expensive.

  14. #54
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    shutter refers to the window that blocks and opens the sensor to exposure. it is inside, behind the mirror assembly.

    anyway, shutter is not expensive.
    Thanks for the info...

  15. #55

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    My advice :

    Just buy & shoot lar .... no need to think so hard & far ....spolit just buy a new 1.


    550D.430EX.EFs55-250.EF50II.Sigma17-70

  16. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North
    Posts
    215

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by pisces25 View Post
    My advice :

    Just buy & shoot lar .... no need to think so hard & far ....spolit just buy a new 1.



    Best advice so far! Bodies come and go, lense got electronics will also break down eventually, so is flash and grips and even memory cards don't last forever. Only manual lenses are forever.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Mind if I ask a "simple" question? Does the shutter life in the dslr refer to the life of the physical shutter button or the whole mirror assembly?

    If I have a VG and use the shutter button instead, does that means that I have double shutter life?
    The button you press is called the "shutter release"; it releases the shutter to capture an exposure. Zoosh has already defined what the "shutter" actually is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •