Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57

Thread: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    284

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    sometimes i do use MF for fireworks shooting too.. n at times when my AF is slow.. my lenses no usm =X

  2. #22

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    lol. different usage here. lx3 no focus ring, so MF is slower than "slow AF". haha.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    oh okay. that means only when you guys are left with no choice, then use MF right? if not no point using them?

    and yes, just remembered another point that's stopping me from getting a dslr - the ttl viewfinder. i don't like the feel of sticking my face to the camera, and to me it's harder to frame like this. i can see better with "live view" instead.

    what are your opinions on the viewfinder?

    the shutter sound feels good though..
    With the viewfinder, the technique of holding your camera close to your face, with your elbows tucked in, actually lends more stability to the whole set up.

  4. #24
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    by principal yes, but by output is no.. right... hee...
    Not quite sure what you meant by this comment. Do you mean to say that in principal, the PnS cameras are supposed to have a larger DOF, but in reality they don't?

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    haha.. thanks for the appraisal. that scenery shot was taken in NZ during my army days last time, using ixus 800is. had to say it was good timing.

    think different people got different likings. my personal favourite is "the kiss" shot under Abstract folder. that was one of the photos which inspired me to capture things with more feel and creativity.

    equipment aside, any comments on how to improve my pictures? feel there's always room for improvement no matter what.

    i'll certainly be purchasing an used set as i wana limit my damages in this hobby. haha..which is how this thread came about, asking about the shutter count and stuff.

    i was thinking of getting a used 1000d (trade in my LX3, should I? ), cos it seems that canon lenses can be obtained at cheaper rates compared to nikon systems.. and also heard d40 has a lot of limitations. minimum must get d90, which is totally over my budget.
    On your photo-improvement drive, I don't think I'm really qualified to comment. All I can say is I like your style of abstract photography. Perhaps search for photographers with similar styles? Try to see lots and lots of good photographs in that particular field of photography. Slowly through analysis and honest critique, you will surely improve. Inspire yourself, but don't copy.

    *I was at that particular army camp (I think) in NZ too! Went there for joint training with NZ Army.

    On the equipment front, I don't think you should trade in your LX3, unless you really need that cash for your DSLR. If money is going to be a problem, stick with your LX3 first whilst you save up.
    D40 and D60's main limitation is that it requires pairing with AF-S lenses for autofocus function. If you only have the kit lens, that's not a big deal is it?
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 18th March 2009 at 02:16 PM.
    Exploring! :)

  5. #25

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    With the viewfinder, the technique of holding your camera close to your face, with your elbows tucked in, actually lends more stability to the whole set up.
    yup i understand that point.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Not quite sure what you meant by this comment. Do you mean to say that in principal, the PnS cameras are supposed to have a larger DOF, but in reality they don't?



    On your photo-improvement drive, I don't think I'm really qualified to comment. All I can say is I like your style of abstract photography. Perhaps search for photographers with similar styles? Try to see lots and lots of good photographs in that particular field of photography. Slowly through analysis and honest critique, you will surely improve. Inspire yourself, but don't copy.

    *I was at that particular army camp (I think) in NZ too! Went there for joint training with NZ Army.

    On the equipment front, I don't think you should trade in your LX3, unless you really need that cash for your DSLR. If money is going to be a problem, stick with your LX3 first whilst you save up.
    D40 and D60's main limitation is that it requires pairing with AF-S lenses for autofocus function. If you only have the kit lens, that's not a big deal is it?
    hmm, is it wairoru camp? haha. if you went for live-artillery firing there then it should be correct. most of us were nearly killed by the sun.. because it was super strong and no clouds were present in the day.

    actually i have enough cash to spare, but like i said earlier.. just wanna limit my damages in this hobby. feel very heart pain spending 680 for a "pns", and because of this label i lost one events assignment ( not enough equipment ), even though the client liked my portfolio.

    i'd love to retain the upgradability of the camera..and that said nikon lenses are more expensive isn't it?

    anyway while trying out the d40x (using kit lens of course) in my army days, somehow the images didn't wow me at all. in fact they looked like lousy PnS pictures if ppl didn't see the EXIF. my LX3 is so much better than that..

  7. #27

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    [QUOTE=ZerocoolAstra;4898020]Not quite sure what you meant by this comment. Do you mean to say that in principal, the PnS cameras are supposed to have a larger DOF, but in reality they don't?


    i suppose.... cos PNS camera dnt give me depth in the pic... i personally feels my dslr lens give me better dof than my pns...
    life is but a dream...

  8. #28
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    hmm, is it wairoru camp? haha. if you went for live-artillery firing there then it should be correct. most of us were nearly killed by the sun.. because it was super strong and no clouds were present in the day.

    actually i have enough cash to spare, but like i said earlier.. just wanna limit my damages in this hobby. feel very heart pain spending 680 for a "pns", and because of this label i lost one events assignment ( not enough equipment ), even though the client liked my portfolio.

    i'd love to retain the upgradability of the camera..and that said nikon lenses are more expensive isn't it?

    anyway while trying out the d40x (using kit lens of course) in my army days, somehow the images didn't wow me at all. in fact they looked like lousy PnS pictures if ppl didn't see the EXIF. my LX3 is so much better than that..
    Ahhhh no... Just checked Google Maps. It was Linton Camp, in NZ's north island, near Palmerston North. Home of the 1st Regiment, New Zealand Infantry.

    If you're able to get events assignments, then this is not purely a hobby, and probably 1 event can pay for the difference in cost between an entry-level DSLR and a mid-level one.
    I get the feeling that Singapore companies can be quite 'equipment-conscious' when they hire photographers. So if you want to cover a corporate D&D with a D60 kit and SB400, they'll probably tell you to go fly a kite

    Most of the good/modern Nikon zoom lenses (and no, I don't think they're significantly more expensive than other brands) come with built-in auto-focus motors, so you aren't really handicapped with a D60 compared with a D90 or D300. The weight balance might be weird, that's all.

    I'm surprised that you were disappointed with the D40x's output. My dad takes nicer pictures than me with his D40
    My D80 trumps my Lumix FX33 and FZ10 anyday!
    Your LX3 is highly rated. Must be a good cam!
    Exploring! :)

  9. #29
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    i suppose.... cos PNS camera dnt give me depth in the pic... i personally feels my dslr lens give me better dof than my pns...
    You mean giving you the effect of depth in the picture?
    DOF just refers to the distance in front of and behind your subject, in which other objects are also in focus.
    hmmm, I'm still confused by your comment. So you mean that a photo taken with the DSLR has more objects (at different distances from the camera) in focus compared with your PnS?

    I usually face the opposite problem. I have great difficulty getting the background objects to be out of focus, when using my PnS. With my D80 + 50/1.8, it's no sweat at all.
    Exploring! :)

  10. #30

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Ahhhh no... Just checked Google Maps. It was Linton Camp, in NZ's north island, near Palmerston North. Home of the 1st Regiment, New Zealand Infantry.

    If you're able to get events assignments, then this is not purely a hobby, and probably 1 event can pay for the difference in cost between an entry-level DSLR and a mid-level one.
    I get the feeling that Singapore companies can be quite 'equipment-conscious' when they hire photographers. So if you want to cover a corporate D&D with a D60 kit and SB400, they'll probably tell you to go fly a kite

    Most of the good/modern Nikon zoom lenses (and no, I don't think they're significantly more expensive than other brands) come with built-in auto-focus motors, so you aren't really handicapped with a D60 compared with a D90 or D300. The weight balance might be weird, that's all.

    I'm surprised that you were disappointed with the D40x's output. My dad takes nicer pictures than me with his D40
    My D80 trumps my Lumix FX33 and FZ10 anyday!
    Your LX3 is highly rated. Must be a good cam!
    oh okay. Palmerston North is very familiar. i think my friend drove there from the camp ( using rented suv ) for 6hours to get everyone snacks. their prices are crazy though. 1 pack of maggi mee is like $6 back then? lol.

    yup, the event which i lost pays out $750, 5days in total though. looking at equipment is just like the paper chase lor.
    "fwah, got 2nd upp. hons good!! 'o' level sure make lesser sales one.."
    kiasu singaporeans, twisted logic, no choice. lol.

    i actually treat it as a hobby.. but whenever i'm free, don't mind making some $ ma. even d60 they'll also reject? most of the people i know only know that "the big black thing is good, anything smaller is just normal cam ", and nothing else.

    yup it's no doubt a good camera, very well-designed interface and feature set targetted towards dslr users.. but still not "fast" enough for me. taking night portraits sometimes.. and iso800 is just very bad, and still have to hold @ 1/8. hoping to get a 'faster' one, along with better IQ.

  11. #31
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post

    i actually treat it as a hobby.. but whenever i'm free, don't mind making some $ ma. even d60 they'll also reject? most of the people i know only know that "the big black thing is good, anything smaller is just normal cam ", and nothing else.
    hahaha no la. I'm not speaking from any real experience of course.
    Most of my friends also see DSLR and go "wahhhh, he/she must be damn pro"

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    yup it's no doubt a good camera, very well-designed interface and feature set targetted towards dslr users.. but still not "fast" enough for me. taking night portraits sometimes.. and iso800 is just very bad, and still have to hold @ 1/8. hoping to get a 'faster' one, along with better IQ.
    Did I hear you say that you want high ISO capability? hmmmm, then, my friend, you're looking at some expensive equipment! Probably D90 would fit the bill, and if not, gotta go higher up the chain to the D700! Coupled with fast glass (eg. 50 f/1.4), can't go wrong there!
    Exploring! :)

  12. #32

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    ya lor. as long as you got that big black thing, maybe with a spare lens to change, can already 'qualify as pro' in the commoners' eyes. haha.

    d90 is way out of my budget ( although it would have been the one i preferred most for price vs performance ).. sigh!

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post

    i suppose.... cos PNS camera dnt give me depth in the pic... i personally feels my dslr lens give me better dof than my pns...
    I think you are confusing depth in the image with depth of field.

    Here there is depth in this image, because there is a clear progression and definition of foreground and background:

    There is depth in this image, as well as shallow depth of field in this image:
    Last edited by calebk; 19th March 2009 at 09:54 AM.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    ahh.. 1d markII. no wonder the people look so 'nice'. haha. i don't know how to describe this "thumbs up" factor - wonder what's the bare minimum i should get to achieve those smooth human skin tones..

  15. #35

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I think you are confusing depth in the image with depth of field.

    Here there is depth in this image, because there is a clear progression and definition of foreground and background:

    There is depth in this image, as well as shallow depth of field in this image:
    hey, hi, its u again... the 2 pic u take is with wat camera huh... my canon 570 surely cant take pic 2 of urs... pic 1 still maybe possible... ask u, there is zero use for my 180mm and 70-200mm i cant use it to take my little girl... the only money i have is to get the EF50mm as my body cant take any EF-S lens... do u think EF50mm is good, or strait away i get the EF28mm 2.8... any advise which is a better bet to take pic of my little fast moving action girl... i did enough research on these 2, just tat i only got money to get either 1... btw, after so much experiment, i still cant get my 30 yrs old flash to working good with my 10D, damn sian... must set manual all the way and lots of adjustment... too fustrating... film got more tolerance during developing isit...
    life is but a dream...

  16. #36
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    ya lor. as long as you got that big black thing, maybe with a spare lens to change, can already 'qualify as pro' in the commoners' eyes. haha.

    d90 is way out of my budget ( although it would have been the one i preferred most for price vs performance ).. sigh!
    Try borrowing one of the entry-level Nikons or Canons (or even the other brands like Sony, Olympus, Pentax, etc) if you happen to have a friend who has them. There are shops that rent out cameras too.

    Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised by the ability of these entry level models!

    For night portrait, you'll most likely be using flash and curtain sync to get both your subject and background sharp.
    Exploring! :)

  17. #37

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    hmm.. but as mentioned earlier i was disappointed by d40x output leh. sigh. what's the rate like for rental, say d60/d90 or 50d for a day? i remember seeing a thread for rental of cameras and accessories, like $50 for a day. not very worth it leh =/

    my uncle actually uses an olympus e420 (bare set kit lens) to take his babies.. maybe i'll ask whether he can let me try for a day.. haha.

    what's curtain sync? i do more of outdoor night portraits ( candid/spontaneous ones ) actually. i always avoid flash because it doesn't look natural on the subject.. but anyway it's also because i'm using the built-in flash. are those ext flashes really that good? o.O
    Last edited by savager; 19th March 2009 at 07:30 PM.

  18. #38
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    DSLR rental rates aren't super cheap I guess. But the Camera Rental Centre along South Bridge Rd has special 50% off deals on Saturdays. Rent from Sat afternoon and return on monday afternoon for 50% off the usual rates. If you're lucky, can even rent the D700! There are others who are renting as well.
    The other way is to join a group outing, and try others' cameras during the shoot.

    Curtain sync (either rear or front) is when your camera exposes for the dark background, and then fires off the flash at the end (rear) or beginning (front) of the exposure, to light up your subject.

    External flash is certainly useful! Use it with flash diffusers (DIY or purchased) to achieve soft lighting.
    Exploring! :)

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    ahh.. 1d markII. no wonder the people look so 'nice'. haha. i don't know how to describe this "thumbs up" factor - wonder what's the bare minimum i should get to achieve those smooth human skin tones..
    Knowing your equipment, whatever equipment, is the bare minimum. It's not about gear, as much as it is about you knowing what you're doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    hey, hi, its u again... the 2 pic u take is with wat camera huh... my canon 570 surely cant take pic 2 of urs... pic 1 still maybe possible... ask u, there is zero use for my 180mm and 70-200mm i cant use it to take my little girl... the only money i have is to get the EF50mm as my body cant take any EF-S lens... do u think EF50mm is good, or strait away i get the EF28mm 2.8... any advise which is a better bet to take pic of my little fast moving action girl... i did enough research on these 2, just tat i only got money to get either 1... btw, after so much experiment, i still cant get my 30 yrs old flash to working good with my 10D, damn sian... must set manual all the way and lots of adjustment... too fustrating... film got more tolerance during developing isit...
    Pic 1 is a product of a 3-shot HDR. It's impossible to get that kind of dynamic range with a single shot on my digital sensor. Pic 2 is shot with a fast prime at ISO 1600.

    For your little girl, I'd suggest the 28 f/1.8 if you can find it. If not, go for a 35mm f/2, as these are wider than the 50mm on your 10D, which becomes something like a 80mm. Good for tight shots, but not flexible or versatile enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    hmm.. but as mentioned earlier i was disappointed by d40x output leh. sigh. what's the rate like for rental, say d60/d90 or 50d for a day? i remember seeing a thread for rental of cameras and accessories, like $50 for a day. not very worth it leh =/

    my uncle actually uses an olympus e420 (bare set kit lens) to take his babies.. maybe i'll ask whether he can let me try for a day.. haha.

    what's curtain sync? i do more of outdoor night portraits ( candid/spontaneous ones ) actually. i always avoid flash because it doesn't look natural on the subject.. but anyway it's also because i'm using the built-in flash. are those ext flashes really that good? o.O
    Don't focus on the gear. Really. Buying better gear will not magically make your output better.

    Perhaps you can try getting a 50mm f/1.8. On the D40x, you will have to manual focus. It's a limitation, but at least you get a wider aperture that allows you to shoot in available light more easily.

    For the second shot that you see, I was shooting with a 35mm f/2, wide open at f/2, and because of that wide aperture of f/2, I was able to shoot with only street lamps and a bit of reflected light from the people on stage. Most of the light was going stage-wards; you can see some of it caught on the shoulders and back of the head of the conductor.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Durability of DSLRs and lenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Knowing your equipment, whatever equipment, is the bare minimum. It's not about gear, as much as it is about you knowing what you're doing.



    Pic 1 is a product of a 3-shot HDR. It's impossible to get that kind of dynamic range with a single shot on my digital sensor. Pic 2 is shot with a fast prime at ISO 1600.

    For your little girl, I'd suggest the 28 f/1.8 if you can find it. If not, go for a 35mm f/2, as these are wider than the 50mm on your 10D, which becomes something like a 80mm. Good for tight shots, but not flexible or versatile enough.

    .
    hey, thks for the reply... can a 28mm F2.8 do or not har... dnt like 35mm on 1.6 body ley... f1.8 on 28mm is way too ex for me to shoulder liao.... hee...
    life is but a dream...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •