Tokyo

Mode: Aperture-Priority
    Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Focal Length: 12.8 mm
    Exposure: +0.10
    ISO Speed: 80
    Flash: Off

Last edited by PlatinumX; 20th May 2009 at 11:05 AM.

Default Re: Pictures from LX3 - part II

hi, how do you guys find the noise level on the LX3? i found the noise at ISO400 a bit much. you can see quite a bit at ISO200 already.

manual settings. ISO 200, f2.8, 0.4sec. handheld. cropped bottom edge off with picasa.
    larger picture here.
    Last edited by sputnik00; 25th May 2009 at 09:27 PM.

For me I capped my ISO for night shots below ISO400.

Mode: Shutter-Priority
    Exposure: 15
    Aperture: f/8.0
    Focal Length: 5.1 mm
    Exposure: 0.00

Mode: iA
    Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
    Aperture: f/2.0
    ISO Speed: 800

ISO800. Took this pic through the window of a moving cab.

Last edited by PlatinumX; 25th May 2009 at 11:43 PM.

[QUOTE=PlatinumX;5126267]For me I capped my ISO for night shots below ISO400.

For this picture, may i know how you set your exposure, aperture and focal length under Shutter-Priority?

I know my dSLR kit lens would not yield such returns unless I cranked the ISO way up!
    1/4s, f/2.0, ISO 80, handheld.

from guitars, cars to dslr...

Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    I know my dSLR kit lens would not yield such returns unless I cranked the ISO way up!
    1/4s, f/2.0, ISO 80, handheld.
    1/4s shutter, ISO 80, super steady hands!

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumX View Post
    For me I capped my ISO for night shots below ISO400.
    For this picture, may i know how you set your exposure, aperture and focal length under Shutter-Priority?
    In shutter-priority you can only choose your shutter-speed. The camera auto decides the exposure via its metering and set the aperture for you. Focal length is just in relation to the amount of zoom, I don't think that's changeable. There's a whole bunch of math you can do to compare focal lengths between different lenses etc but I don't bother. You can, however, do exposure compensation, i.e. overwrite the camera's decision on the aperture and exposure by pressing the EV button. by setting + or - increments of 1/3 you change the overall exposure. If you want more control, shoot in Manual.

This is a very newbie question... but where do I adjust focal length?

I recently took my LX3 on a backpacking trip to China and experimented with the wide angle converter. I used a Nikon EC68 bought from Amazon coupled with the Panasonic 46mm adaptor but I find the results not so satisfactory.

This first picture was taken at F2.0 with ISO 80. I find only the centre is OK but the edges are very blur....(eg the roof tops on the left, the wall/wood columns on the right)

Here's another picture, this time with ISO pushed to 320 in order to use F8.0 but I still find the edges are not sharp and distorted.....(eg her left shoulder/arm and the buildings at the left seem to be leaning inwards)

Anyone with experience can offer some advise or comment please? I mean how to and what settings to get the best out of this Nikon lens....

PS: The pictures were taken in Zhaoxing village in Guizhou. I had posted more pictures of minority tribes, etc in the clubsnap travel forum, in this link: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519487

Quote Originally Posted by spEechLeZ View Post
    1/4s shutter, ISO 80, super steady hands!

In shutter-priority you can only choose your shutter-speed. The camera auto decides the exposure via its metering and set the aperture for you. Focal length is just in relation to the amount of zoom, I don't think that's changeable. There's a whole bunch of math you can do to compare focal lengths between different lenses etc but I don't bother. You can, however, do exposure compensation, i.e. overwrite the camera's decision on the aperture and exposure by pressing the EV button. by setting + or - increments of 1/3 you change the overall exposure. If you want more control, shoot in Manual.
    Oh.. So for this camera we cannot adjust the focal length? Or zoom = focal length?
    Thanks again! Will post out some of my test shots here!

A shot of the view outside the flat...

Last edited by vogriphach; 27th May 2009 at 08:49 PM.

Sold the LX3 few days back.
    When will Adobe provide the support to convert the RAW file to DNG without increasing the file size 3 folds?

Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post

Sold the LX3 few days back.
    When will Adobe provide the support to convert the RAW file to DNG without increasing the file size 3 folds?
    Thats a nice pic... What mode are you using when you take this pic?
    In the eyes of the beholder!

just picked lx3 up tonight... first snap out of the camera...

personally very impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by playhard View Post
    why do people say LX3's dynamic BW is outstanding?
    i shoot film. with rangefinders and slrs. and with dynamic mode, with a bit of noise, i would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the LX3 output and what i would normally get using B&W film pushed to a higher ISO.. that is a v huge compliment.

i used to do post processing of raw from my DSLR to b&w. but to even get close to the out of the box results of the LX3, would take a fair amount of post processing.

as someone said earlier, this ability alone makes it worth the price of admission. let alone all the other qualities.

Shot in 4:3 format:

Read that there is this function whereby u can just shoot and then decide on the aspect ratio format later. Any idea how to activate this function?

Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    Read that there is this function whereby u can just shoot and then decide on the aspect ratio format later. Any idea how to activate this function?
    That only applies to widescreen (16:9). You can change a 16:9 back to either a 3:2 or 4:3. However, I've tried other combos but it didn't work, eg. 4:3 to other ratios.

Go to Aspect Conversion from Playback, select the photos and convert accordingly.
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

This pic I brighten up buildings on the right side

Applied sharpening+contrast.

Original, cropped, no PP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jianxiong View Post
    I recently took my LX3 on a backpacking trip to China and experimented with the wide angle converter. I used a Nikon EC68 bought from Amazon coupled with the Panasonic 46mm adaptor but I find the results not so satisfactory.

This first picture was taken at F2.0 with ISO 80. I find only the centre is OK but the edges are very blur....(eg the roof tops on the left, the wall/wood columns on the right)

Here's another picture, this time with ISO pushed to 320 in order to use F8.0 but I still find the edges are not sharp and distorted.....(eg her left shoulder/arm and the buildings at the left seem to be leaning inwards)

Anyone with experience can offer some advise or comment please? I mean how to and what settings to get the best out of this Nikon lens....
    Did you set your LX3 to wide conversion in the menu? Cos I read the instruction manual and it states that when it is set to wide conversion mode with the wide angle len, the image quality will be set to optimal for the wide conversion len. (Pg 127)

Dunno whether it helps...
    In the eyes of the beholder!

Did you set your LX3 to wide conversion in the menu? Cos I read the instruction manual and it states that when it is set to wide conversion mode with the wide angle len, the image quality will be set to optimal for the wide conversion len. (Pg 127)

Dunno whether it helps

Thanks your input. I did set the camera to Conversion mode. Maybe the Nikon lens is not really meant to work with the Panasonic, or possibly the poor edges cannot be prevented due to the 16mm wide angle result....

My futile attempt with this versatile camera:

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast