Thread: Lightroom 2: Saving Non-destructive editing

Default Lightroom 2: Saving Non-destructive editing

Hello guys! I've got an LR2 question.

Here's the sitch. I want to reformat my computer. All my photos are on an externally powered harddrive (risky, I know, I'm going to get a backup soon), and I've had numerous edits to a majority of my photographs.

However, I have come to expect a problem. When I reformat my computer, install lightroom, and import my photos-- they will not have the saved editing data on them, because they are still the RAW .CR2 files.

May I know how I can preserve this editing? I know there's file-format for LR2 that's used for saving editing purposes, but how do I do that for every photo automatically?

In summary:

I have done lots of editing. I'm going to reformat my comp, install LR2 and import back the photos. I want the editing settings to be exactly the same. Photographs will not be moved, only LR2 will be uninstalled when reformatted, and installed.

Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Default Re: Lightroom 2: Saving Non-destructive editing

backup your LR catalogue first.
    After you reinstall your pc, open the catalogue and then redefine the image location (may be locate at your external HDD)
    That's how I normally do when I use other computer and continue editing from previous day work.
    I hope it helps.

Yup, that's the beauty of LR's catalog system.

Downside is you're stuck with LR if you want to preserve them. I dunno if Aperture/others are able to import that kind of data.
    D90 | 16-85mmVR | 70-300mmVR | AF-S 50mm 1.4

go to Edit>catalog settings>metadata> check the box saying 'automatically write changes to XMP'

THEN select all your pictures from ur library and press ctrl+s to save the metadata of the ones you've edited in the past.

that's it.