Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

  1. #1

    Default teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    hi peeps..
    might be noob question...but i did a seach..couldn't find an answer...

    so..my question is..
    i wanna edit my photos..hence i shoot it in raw. but...m i suppose to edit first..or convert first?!?!...all the search tat i derive only state the pros and cons of raw, editing...but didn't ans my question

    hence..if possible...kindly lead me wif the workflow like....
    raw-->convert (to wat file?!?!)--> edit --> blah blah blah..
    is wat i mentioned above correct?..i anyhow state..kindly share ur workflow wif me..e learner ya..

    sorry if it might be in 1 of the thread / old thread...jus tat..i couldn't find it..search till my eyes dry and tired out...

    peace..cheers!
    thanks!!!!!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    are you willing to pay? or you want free?

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    hi peeps..
    might be noob question...but i did a seach..couldn't find an answer...

    so..my question is..
    i wanna edit my photos..hence i shoot it in raw. but...m i suppose to edit first..or convert first?!?!...all the search tat i derive only state the pros and cons of raw, editing...but didn't ans my question

    hence..if possible...kindly lead me wif the workflow like....
    raw-->convert (to wat file?!?!)--> edit --> blah blah blah..
    is wat i mentioned above correct?..i anyhow state..kindly share ur workflow wif me..e learner ya..

    sorry if it might be in 1 of the thread / old thread...jus tat..i couldn't find it..search till my eyes dry and tired out...

    peace..cheers!
    thanks!!!!!

    You'd need to understand what your workflow is for.

    E.g. I edit my pics mainly for web output.

    1) Convert from RAW to Jpeg. You can convert in Adobe Bridge or Photoshop itself. All up to you. Make sure you have the updated copy of RAW converter though.

    2) Do your necessary editing, sharpening, etc..

    3) resize to web size, sharpen again. (you can choose to not sharpen in step 2 and only sharpen it once in step 3)

    4) Save as your required format in your deisred size.

    All those in between is UP to your personal preference. We can only give u a rough idea, you'd need to understand more about it first. Go READ up in the books or on the web.

    There is a good book which I found recently in the NLB : Adobe Photoshop for Photographers. It shows you wat you need to know and do.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    hi peeps..
    might be noob question...but i did a seach..couldn't find an answer...
    Have a good look into the section Digital Darkroom. It doesn't need much searching to find it.

    i wanna edit my photos..hence i shoot it in raw. but...m i suppose to edit first..or convert first?!?!
    1. You don't need to shoot RAW in order to be able to edit. JPG is fine and many people shoot entirely in JPG and still edit their pictures.
    2. You don't edit RAW, never. All tools using RAW will rather simulate the processing, showing the result in real time. Once you are done you export into a JPG file.
    Finally, have a look at the software bundled to your camera first. For Canon it's DPP, Nikon has Capture NX, other manufacturers have tehir own respective tools. These tools are perfectly able to handle the RAW and the JPG files produces by the cameras and allow you editing them.

  5. #5

    Default Re: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    i did bother to search b4 posting (dun wanna shoot by ppl saying i waitin for spoon feed)..

    to aryanto: wat do u mean?...as in..u provide lesson ar?...if tat's e case...i wish i can afford..
    but sadly...i can't...

    as regarding to convertin raw to jpeg by zac08...i was told that jpeg has limited space to edit...(i may jus b a noob..but i wanna do experiment wif editing...else i'll always stuck at the level) so...since my cam has the jpeg le...so..wat's the different between shooting through raw and then convert from lappy and shooting directly throw jpeg?..won't it be the same???

    or does it mean...shooting through raw then convert to jpeg through lappy can save more details of the photos which enable editing for this jpeg file easier?

    sorry for the series of noob questions..
    cheers!

  6. #6

    Default Re: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    i did bother to search b4 posting (dun wanna shoot by ppl saying i waitin for spoon feed)..

    to aryanto: wat do u mean?...as in..u provide lesson ar?...if tat's e case...i wish i can afford..
    but sadly...i can't...

    as regarding to convertin raw to jpeg by zac08...i was told that jpeg has limited space to edit...(i may jus b a noob..but i wanna do experiment wif editing...else i'll always stuck at the level) so...since my cam has the jpeg le...so..wat's the different between shooting through raw and then convert from lappy and shooting directly throw jpeg?..won't it be the same???

    or does it mean...shooting through raw then convert to jpeg through lappy can save more details of the photos which enable editing for this jpeg file easier?

    sorry for the series of noob questions..
    cheers!
    Depending on the camera you are using, you will have a RAW editing program that is provided by the manufacturer. For Canon users, this program is DPP. What you can do is open the raw files you have shot with the supplied raw editor/converter from the manufacturer and you will be able to edit the raw files. After editing you can then use the RAW editor to convert the files to JPEG.

    You can also use programs such as Photoshop/Photoshop Elements or free software like GIMP to edit the RAW files that you have taken with your camera.

    As to your question whether it is the same shooting RAW and later converting it or shooting JPEG directly, the answer is no. RAW files are image information taken direct from the sensor of your camera, while JPEG files have gone through conversion and editing within your camera.

  7. #7
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    When you convert from RAW, the quality is much higher and you have more control over how to edit the picture as opposed to straight Jpg from the camera.

    You can try by shooting RAW + Jpeg for the next contrasty shot and you'll understand when you compare both pics side by side.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  8. #8

    Default Re: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    Gd morning to all...
    what a nice refreshing morning..
    perhaps i missed out..i'm a canon 450D user...
    really thanks for the response...now i'm more or less clearer already...
    a million thanks..

    cheers!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    to aryanto: wat do u mean?...as in..u provide lesson ar?...if tat's e case...i wish i can afford..
    but sadly...i can't...
    I dont teach. No time to teach, standard of skill not up to the mark to teach too.
    But there are people who are teaching and you must pay but you cannot so you are stuck with online resource. I suggest you go to library and get a book on how to finetune your search using google
    By the way there are pleny of lesson on YouTube too, which is better ("show me") rather than reading ("tell me").

  10. #10

    Default Re: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    O ya...jus recall about Youtube...didn't tink abt it..
    thanks for reminding...
    hehe..will go visit the videos..
    cheers!

  11. #11

    Default Re: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    hi peeps..
    might be noob question...but i did a seach..couldn't find an answer...

    so..my question is..
    i wanna edit my photos..hence i shoot it in raw. but...m i suppose to edit first..or convert first?!?!...all the search tat i derive only state the pros and cons of raw, editing...but didn't ans my question

    hence..if possible...kindly lead me wif the workflow like....
    raw-->convert (to wat file?!?!)--> edit --> blah blah blah..
    is wat i mentioned above correct?..i anyhow state..kindly share ur workflow wif me..e learner ya..

    sorry if it might be in 1 of the thread / old thread...jus tat..i couldn't find it..search till my eyes dry and tired out...

    peace..cheers!
    thanks!!!!!
    my 5 sens: Shoot in RAW, do tonal adjustments in RAW and special effects in Photoshop.
    I convert to jpeg from photoshop and save only my raw and the final jpeg (after sharpening and resizing), but then again, everyone has different workflow.

  12. #12

    Default Re: teaching/sharing with me the workflow of raw to conversion to editing...

    Quote Originally Posted by mulia View Post
    my 5 sens: Shoot in RAW, do tonal adjustments in RAW and special effects in Photoshop.
    I convert to jpeg from photoshop and save only my raw and the final jpeg (after sharpening and resizing), but then again, everyone has different workflow.

    yo bro...tat's wat i intend....convert raw all to jpeg. then refer back to raw to do editing then convert to jpeg...hence i can also compare among 2 differnt jpeg..
    hehe..
    but..wondering...converting raw from canon software is faster or through photoshop...coz..haven't try photoshop b4...but installing soon...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •