Thread: Newbie in photography needs help

Default Newbie in photography needs help

Hi , i am relatively new to photography so i do not really know much . I own a Olympus FE-360 which i do not really like as the battery life is crap and the peformance is not really good.

I have a budget of $500 . Im planning on getting Nikon products as i think they are the best compared to other brands.My friend told me to get a D40 second hand but my dad may not agree to it as I am still quite young and I may get scammed as I am relatively new to this hobby.So can somebody help me on choosing a new camera?
    (and oh yes i have a Lens Scope Converter and a 28-200mm lens from my dad's old flim DSLR)

Some stuff im looking for

1) Good battery life , i dont know if possible , 500 non-flash shots per battery?
    2)Good anti-blurring because my Olympus takes shaky images at night without flash(but with lighting) .And its not my hands
    3)Possibly have bigger lens diameter and the right hand pop-up thingy like most DSLRs do as it is easier to hold.

Being a budding school photographer I am taking pictures of all school events so i guess you guys have a rough idea of what i am taking.I average about 500 shots per event so ya ~

Any help is greatly appreciated !

Default Re: Newbie in photography needs help

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpartner View Post
    Hi , i am relatively new to photography so i do not really know much . I own a Olympus FE-360 which i do not really like as the battery life is crap and the peformance is not really good.

I have a budget of $500 . Im planning on getting Nikon products as i think they are the best compared to other brands.My friend told me to get a D40 second hand but my dad may not agree to it as I am still quite young and I may get scammed as I am relatively new to this hobby.So can somebody help me on choosing a new camera?
    (and oh yes i have a Lens Scope Converter and a 28-200mm lens from my dad's old flim DSLR)

Some stuff im looking for

1) Good battery life , i dont know if possible , 500 non-flash shots per battery?
    2)Good anti-blurring because my Olympus takes shaky images at night without flash(but with lighting) .And its not my hands
    3)Possibly have bigger lens diameter and the right hand pop-up thingy like most DSLRs do as it is easier to hold.

Being a budding school photographer I am taking pictures of all school events so i guess you guys have a rough idea of what i am taking.I average about 500 shots per event so ya ~

Any help is greatly appreciated !
    A used D40/D60s are great cameras to use, make sure you check for all functionality and signs of use (especially fungus and faulty stuff).

1) A lot of Nikon and Canon dSLRs have good battery life, I'm not sure on this though
    2) At night you'll need a lower shutter speed or higher ISO to get a decent exposure, thats why you get blurry images. IS,VR (Image stabilization/Vibration Reduction) technology are usually on the lens (Nikon/Canon), I know that Sony has that function in-built in the camera (maybe false?) unsure.
    3) It's called a battery grip, is that what you're looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoricko View Post
    A used D40/D60s are great cameras to use, make sure you check for all functionality and signs of use (especially fungus and faulty stuff).

1) A lot of Nikon and Canon dSLRs have good battery life, I'm not sure on this though
    2) At night you'll need a lower shutter speed or higher ISO to get a decent exposure, thats why you get blurry images. IS,VR (Image stabilization/Vibration Reduction) technology are usually on the lens (Nikon/Canon), I know that Sony has that function in-built in the camera (maybe false?) unsure.
    3) It's called a battery grip, is that what you're looking for?

1) A lot of Nikon and Canon dSLRs have good battery life, I'm not sure on this thoughMy friend's D40 lasted him 1600 images.So yeah
    2) At night you'll need a lower shutter speed or higher ISO to get a decent exposure,Can you teach me how to change the shutter speeds and ISO? thats why you get blurry images. IS,VR (Image stabilization/Vibration Reduction) technology are usually on the lens (Nikon/Canon), I know that Sony has that function in-built in the camera (maybe false?) unsure.
    3) It's called a battery grip, is that what you're looking for? Yes

And wait.I saw somewhere that a Lens Scope Converter is worth alot.So is the 28-200.Any ideas?

changing of the shutter speed , aperture and ISO
    you need to learn like try and error
    thats how i learn haha ~
    Moments

There is like not really much functions in my FE-360. I seriously need to get a better camera !!
    Oh yes i love cameras with good optical zoom(far).

all current entry level dslrs are generally on equal ground; if you ask me nikon has a disadvantage of having d40/d60 requiring lenses with in-built af motors, because the body doesn't have one. do not just exclude choices based on hearsay; go down to the shops, make it a point not to buy, just feel the cameras, take a few test shots with it.

then come back, find out the price proper, if you want to buy new; consider buying second hand if you have a limited budget.

if the light is too low, not even a nikon d3 is going to help you with it.

the right hand pop thing is not a battery grip, it is just a grip, most prosumers and dslrs have something like that for easier holding over long periods of time. p&s do not.

thanks for the replies.I may be getting a compact DSLR if i can find the right model too

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpartner;4886635Some stuff im looking for

2)Good anti-blurring because my Olympus takes shaky images at night without flash(but with lighting) .[SIZE="5"
    And its not my hands[/SIZE]

1) battery life depends on the battery consumption of the camera, also shooting condition (eg, focus must keep tracking subject), how often the shooter preview the image on the LCD etc. also, older batteries may be unable to hold charge anymore.

2) its not your hands?

it is your hand. since u are the one holdin the camera.

your hand is unable to keep still enough during the exposure, hence the blur.

of course, even if u use a tripod, the image can still be blur, cus while the camera is fixed, the subject moved. no VR/IS is going to help.

3) agree w u. DSLR is more comfortable to hold.