Thread: New Extreme III 16GB after formatting become 8GB..

Unhappy New Extreme III 16GB after formatting become 8GB..

Bought a new Extreme III CF 16GB at IT Show yesterday.

Slot the CF card in my 30D, start test shoot a few (ard 20 shots), display shows shot remaining 999. Enter the 30D format menu saw 15.6gb, after finished formatting, it only show 7.8gb. display show shot remaining 894 only

Any bros having same issue? Care to share how you resolved this. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: New Extreme III 16GB after formatting become 8GB..

try using your pc to check?

anywat how much didi u pay for it?

Read somewhere before that 30D is capable of taking up to 8GB of capacity only. May I suggest to try reformatting to FAT32 on your computer, load the card to your 30D again and see if it shows 16GB. If it does, then really, it's the camera's lack of support for 16GB.

EDIT: Further googling has led me to this page. "Canon's white paper details many other small internal changes made to the Canon EOS 30D. I'll note here that the maximum capacity CompactFlash card the 30D will use is 8 GB."

Theory explains, if you pre-format your card via your PC and should the camera see the 16GB again, after shooting to 8GB, there's a slight chance that anything captured beyond that will not be recorded.
    Last edited by rendition; 14th March 2009 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    try using your pc to check?

anywat how much didi u pay for it?
    Check in PC still show 8gb. Paid $128 at Sandisk booth

Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    Read somewhere before that 30D is capable of taking up to 8GB of capacity only. May I suggest to try reformatting to FAT32 on your computer, load the card to your 30D again and see if it shows 16GB. If it does, then really, it's the camera's lack of support for 16GB.

EDIT: Further googling has led me to this page. "Canon's white paper details many other small internal changes made to the Canon EOS 30D. I'll note here that the maximum capacity CompactFlash card the 30D will use is 8 GB."

Theory explains, if you pre-format your card via your PC and should the camera see the 16GB again, after shooting to 8GB, there's a slight chance that anything captured beyond that will not be recorded.
    Thanks for your recommendation & link. Sad to know that 30D only support up to 8gb, didn't know about it initially. Wonder updating firmware will resolve the issue.

Tried format in PC full format still show 8gb both in PC and 30D

Is it card faulty?

Quote Originally Posted by timmax View Post
    Check in PC still show 8gb. Paid $128 at Sandisk booth

Thanks for your recommendation & link. Sad to know that 30D only support up to 8gb, didn't know about it initially. Wonder updating firmware will resolve the issue.

Tried format in PC full format still show 8gb both in PC and 30D

Is it card faulty?
    Please try using partition magic to format....or use linux fdisk.

if all else fail please bring the receipt to Sandisk booth for replacement.

Whats your firmware version, you can try to update your 30D firmware then format the 16G card again. I had the same problem and this work for me .

me using 20D and trancend 16gig ...
    same thing happen ...
    so using partition magic... format ... it turn back to 16gig
    Now, i only used erase all instead of format ...
    Never try ... Never know ...
    sweesineng.multiply.com/photos

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Please try using partition magic to format....or use linux fdisk.

I don't have partition magic software. Will look for one and try it out. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by has91 View Post
    if all else fail please bring the receipt to Sandisk booth for replacement.

Yesterday evening went back to Sandisk booth told them abt the issue. Get 1 to 1 exchange The box is remain unopen until I find a workable solution. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuansheng View Post
    Whats your firmware version, you can try to update your 30D firmware then format the 16G card again. I had the same problem and this work for me .
    May I know what is your firmware version? Mine is 1.0.4. You're using 30D too?

Is your 16g card Extreme III? Just need to flash the firmware then format the card to resolve this problem?

Many thanks to all bros here for your replies & recommendations

Called Canon Care Centre this morning, a technician told me to flash latest firmware 1.0.6. Problem solved, now happily using my 16gb CF card.

Congrats on your now working 16GB CF card.

Just a thought: I think I would have gone back to Sandisk and exchanged for 2 8GB Extreme III cards instead. Or 4 4GB... What rendition said sounds quite scary. Imagine shooting happily then realize you passed the 8GB mark and those after that weren't recorded. Haha! Of course, firmware updates should've solved the recognizability of higher capacity cards...
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Good for you, lucky it's just a firmware thing.

karnage: Chances of Vector Magnetics / SanDisk exchanging for a non-faulty card is super slim cuz it's human error and they will only honour technical problems. Even if you do have tech prob, they will do 1-to-1 exhange of the same card.

The 16GB one uses 2 pieces of 8GB flash so chances are that one of them might be faulty.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.