Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City Night Shots

Originally posted by kylelam77
    sigh... dun know when i will be able to do that. My oly only allow up to 16s exposure. if i allow that long an exposure time, i would be seeing lotsa tiny and green ufos in my pic liao. btw, can someone explain to me what those usm or hsm lenses are ?
    Nice pics u got there rty.....hmm gotta go find this Hill Street Building u guys have been mentioning about

Sorry ah, sidetrack a bit from ur post

kylelam77, I think u're using C2040Z right? You don't need to set till 16 sec that high if you just use F1.8 aperture. I believe u're able to get a pic somewhere around those brightness. So u can cut down on the noises obtained (which I also encountered when using more than 10 sec of exposure )

Provided u don't zoom in to 3x of course...

If you don't mind, can take a look at my night shots gallery if u're free Though my pics are taken at a slightly later timing than rty's and I only learn how to use Auto mode during that time so pic could be a bit dark.
    Last edited by Blitz; 14th April 2002 at 04:49 AM.

Hey Blitz, if u wanna, I can bring ya there...I wanna take some photos from there too!!

Thanks for the advice, Blitz. Those are some great pics u got there as well. Erm..... wat do u mean by slightly later timing? I havent tried out taking nite shots at these places yet but after seeing urs and fcpgas, tink i gonna try out at these places liao. I guess u are rite. we shld be able to get the brightness but if i set to F1.8, wont the background be blur? (correct me if i'm wrong) So would i be correct to say that i shld find a gd combination of F-stops and aperture size in order to take gd nice pics? such as F4.5, 4" these sort of thing. Thanks!

And btw, how can i take panoramic view with my oly? Has it got anything to do with the type of smartmedia card i use?

Thanks for the advice, Blitz. Those are some great pics u got there as well. Erm..... wat do u mean by slightly later timing? I havent tried out taking nite shots at these places yet but after seeing urs and fcpgas, tink i gonna try out at these places liao. I guess u are rite. we shld be able to get the brightness but if i set to F1.8, wont the background be blur? (correct me if i'm wrong) So would i be correct to say that i shld find a gd combination of F-stops and aperture size in order to take gd nice pics? such as F4.5, 4" these sort of thing. Thanks!
    generally my experience is that if the landscape shot you are taking has all the buildings very very far from you (such that it is feasible to set manual focus to infinity), using a large aperture wouldn't result in severe blurring due to shallow DOF, since your subjects and the background are all at infinity to your camera. So there isn't really a background and foreground to talk about.

And using f1.8 will allow u to use a slighly faster shutter speed, which is beneficial cos hotpixels won't emerge that badly. So find a compromise between overall image sharpness and hotpixels by playing around with different combinations, and don't exclude the use of f1.8.

Originally posted by Goose
    Hey Blitz, if u wanna, I can bring ya there...I wanna take some photos from there too!!
    Sure maybe we can meet one day with some of the rest too Night shot photo gathering. I will sure like to take those car streaks pics

Wat Tweek say is true. I've tried F1.8 and F7.0 and the sharpness is about the same (I can't see any diff anyway), maybe the subject is too far so to the camera, maybe it's on the same plane? Except if you want the star light effect, then use F7.0 of course

More than F7.0, I will start to face a lot of noises as the shutter speed will need to go more than 10 secs for me so I assume F7.0 is more or less the threshold for my cam?

As for the timing, what I meant was the period of time I've taken is very much later than rty's (mine is slightly around 9pm+) and I think his is 7.30pm+ thus u can see the nice bluish sky over his pics

Okie. Thanks for all the advice. havent figured out the manual focus thingy yet. will try soon. the other thing is how do i enable this panoramic feature on the oly 2040?

Okie. Thanks for all the advice. havent figured out the manual focus thingy yet. will try soon. the other thing is how do i enable this panoramic feature on the oly 2040?
    Hee RTY's post has become off topic liao

Were u the one who post about the panoroma feature in the Oly section too?

Well, u will need to use a Oly SM card in order to use the Panaroma feature.

GOODNESS!! HOW COME I NEVER SEE THIS PIC!!
    WOW!!! SO NICEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee
    All the buildings lights up for your shot!! wow!!!

Smile

excellent shot.

btw i shoot film, so anyone know of a processing lab which scans as well? any idea of the price?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12