Thread: Shooting Gigs

Default Shooting Gigs

Hey lads, I will be shooting a local metal band at a gig in 2 weeks time. Any recommended shooting techniques and setting? I anticipate a low light condition on the location. I am using D60 & currently only have the kit lens of 18-55mm & a 50mm prime lens in my possession. Please advice? Thanx!!

Default Re: Shooting Gigs

metal bands? cool ayt...

I'm not a pro but let me share you something, on a typical bar location, your prime 50 is to near when you're standing 3 to 6m to them right, but it's ok if you want them to take solo pic everytime, f1.8 can be used but f1.4 is better, boost up the iso, even a lil bit noisy it's ok, the noise will justify their sound anyway. jk. shoot RAW, so you'll change later to any WB you want and Style, like monochromes, superb to apply on metal bands. Study the lighting sequence on the stage, so you can have a good timing to the solo part of the guitarist for a good shot. If you know the tech person behind the lighting, much better so you can put spotlights to the vox, drums, bass, guitar if their time to shine on comes,then you can use wide angle too if the light is on the group,try to mix the different colors to the stage...
    and last but not the least don't get drunk first before shooting.... cheers!!!
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

I have not shot a live metal band before but a piece of advice I can give is to err on the side of over exposure. ISO1600 at the right exposure can look better than ISO800 under exposed.

Also, a tip by Richard E. Aaron I picked up from flickr is to avoid using flash. The stage lighting is usually designed to make the bands looks good already. Flash will ruin it and it is also going to irritate the performers. He also recommended timing your shutter release to coincide with moments that the performers are more still to get clear shots. Of course this can be varied and movement can look interesting as well but that is up to your creativity.

Hmm, I see..I see...thanx for sharing some really good technique. I will bear it in mind while shooting the bands...hope it turns out well..wish me luck!