Thread: Digital Killed KRW's Tripod.

Default Digital Killed KRW's Tripod.

Did it kill yours? Check this article out. I read through it and I thought it was a bit laughable. KRW seems to think that all the situations he shoots in with tripods (and now sans tripod) are all the situations the world ever needs to shoot with tripods.

Default Re: Digital Killed KRW's Tripod.

Read it sometime ago.

There are instances in which he's just brilliant and there's times he's just a downright idiot. In this case, he's the latter.

he's not exactly subtle in his opinions and conclusions. take what he says with a can of salt.
    D90 | 16-85mmVR | 70-300mmVR | AF-S 50mm 1.4

Maybe he have hidden issues with some tripod manufacturer.
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

Quote Originally Posted by kaikibbler View Post
    he's not exactly subtle in his opinions and conclusions. take what he says with a can of salt.
    Lol I think you mean a truckload of salt

Hmmm..... Seems like he was in a closed frame of mind whilst writing this.....

I still use tripods, even after this article, especially when I do shots on water even in broad daylight. While he does make some sense, it's a sweeping statement that he adopted and I don't agree with the point of view. He's still entitled to keep his tripod in the trunk of cos. Haha....

In my opinion, it will also depend on the lenses available to us. Not all f/2.8 or more are sharp wide open. Some reports claim that certain lenses are better at f/5 or so. So, my ISO gotta be really high to capture night shots like he did. At these settings, I'd baulk at the noise introduced, cos I am using the D40x. So, no cant do. It's the tripod for me still.

Anyways, To each his own I'd say.
    Snap ?

To me, every article that KRW write has an agenda to push new products.
    In this case, it could be the new VR lens, or IS lens etc.
    Don't forget that he has to take care of his rice bowl.

Taking that sale talks ( talk c*ck ) element into consideration, what he writes actually make good sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ianwurn View Post
    Hmmm..... Seems like he was in a closed frame of mind whilst writing this.....

I still use tripods, even after this article, especially when I do shots on water even in broad daylight. While he does make some sense, it's a sweeping statement that he adopted and I don't agree with the point of view. He's still entitled to keep his tripod in the trunk of cos. Haha....

In my opinion, it will also depend on the lenses available to us. Not all f/2.8 or more are sharp wide open. Some reports claim that certain lenses are better at f/5 or so. So, my ISO gotta be really high to capture night shots like he did. At these settings, I'd baulk at the noise introduced, cos I am using the D40x. So, no cant do. It's the tripod for me still.

Anyways, To each his own I'd say.
    I agree. He also seems to have left out landscape photography with use of ND filters and long exposures (of more than a few seconds), and also HDR work.

"Sadly many people still look like idiots using tripods with digital cameras in daylight. These guys are throwbacks to the 1950s, or the early 2000s. "

Sadly someone would look like an idiot without using tripods with digital cameras in daylight with a ND filter on and trying to shoot below hand holdable shutter speed. That guy is a throwback to the 1950s, or the early 2000s.

"Try it yourself. Make a shot from your 'pod at f/22. Then pick up your tool in your own bare hands and make some shots at f/8 or wider. Look for yourself. It's obvious. "

It's obviously light diffraction at work.

Tripod manufacturers don't go bust after what he says. I still need my tripod.

Proof of his photo does not proof that he did not use a tripod for the shots.

How many of us can handheld at 1/15s and get every shots without blur? Maybe 1 out of 10 to 50 shots is possible.

Or ask him to hand hold 500/600mm lens and shoot whole day without tripod.

he obviously doesn't do 30 second exposures at f/8 , iso100.

i.e. landscapes with water

or traffic trails

or many other situations that warrant it. either that or he is perfectly fine with shooting star trails handheld.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

either that or he is perfectly fine with shooting star trails handheld.
    LOL then he can title the photo DISCO stars trails
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

Quote Originally Posted by nixontkl View Post
    LOL then he can title the photo DISCO stars trails
    then call it abstract then....
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

Maybe he has super steady hands.