Thread: Nikon d70 OR SONY a100?

Default Nikon d70 OR SONY a100?

I'm already a Nikon user and i am looking to get a 2nd hand DSLR for my kid . I have looked at reviews and already compared them on dprreview. However i just wanna know some comment about this two camera from 'ex-users' or some one who has handled it before . Please gimme some comments on these two cameras , thanks =D

Default Re: Nikon d70 OR SONY a100?

If you're a nikon user, why not just stick with nikon.

One, you can share lenses with your son. Saves lots of money compared to building a suite of sony-mount lenses.

Two, it be easier might guide your son along with those nikon terminology.

I'm a d70 user and the camera is very capable. Lots of useful features in it that the a100 doesn't. I always like to say that the d70 looks like a beginner cam but performs like a pro. By the way d70 uses CF card.
    Last edited by gymak90; 13th March 2009 at 01:29 AM.
    The best things in life are free.

Agree. Since you are a Nikon user, just need to get another body for your kid. If you intend to get another system, you'll have to build up the lenses which will be costly. Unless you intend to jump ship too.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

If I were starting afresh, I may be tempted to go for the Sony Alpha 100, since it is, IMO, technically superior over the Nikon D70 (which I am currently using). Still, if you are already a Nikon user, it'd probably be more sensible to get a Nikon dSLR - think of the cost savings by sharing your lenses, flash etc.

since ur are a father of a kid old enough to take up photography as hobby, and u are considering another different system for him, i guess money is not an issue for u.

as such, guys, he is old enough to know what all of u are telling him, so why not just stick to the pros & cons of the d70 and a100?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Yeah . Not being bossy here but money isnt the issue here =D I have thought of changing system so i could try out with sony too . The getting new lenses part isnt anywhere near in time as my son would be using the 18-70 Sony kit lens to build up his foundation first .

Yeah , i have read about both system on dpr review and i would like to get feedbacks from both the a100 and d70 user. Thanks =D

Quote Originally Posted by Kepadawye View Post

Yeah , i have read about both system on dpr review and i would like to get feedbacks from both the a100 and d70 user. Thanks =D
    The A100 was my first Sony DSLR. I took it with me to the top of Mt Kilimanjaro and through heavy Singapore rains. It just kept on working flawlessly, and the dual control dial system is brilliantly simple to learn.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Kepadawye View Post
    Yeah . Not being bossy here but money isnt the issue here =D I have thought of changing system so i could try out with sony too . The getting new lenses part isnt anywhere near in time as my son would be using the 18-70 Sony kit lens to build up his foundation first .

ah!!! just as i suspected. it is u who wants to try out sony dslr. using ur kid as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    ah!!! just as i suspected. it is u who wants to try out sony dslr. using ur kid as an excuse.
    hahah , no laaaa. What i meant was , i would like to see what the Sony can do . If its better than d70 , then MAYBE I'd change system . But after the main point is that whats the pro's and cons of both the camera?

new sony pro-lens bloody $$$$.

sony external flash is not generic (see their hot shoe), so be like canon body use nikon flash or old manual flash (provided the trigger voltage is ok).

than again, correct me if i am wrong, nikon is using sony sensor for their newer body. that is iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    new sony pro-lens bloody $$$$.

sony external flash is not generic (see their hot shoe), so be like canon body use nikon flash or old manual flash (provided the trigger voltage is ok).

than again, correct me if i am wrong, nikon is using sony sensor for their newer body. that is iirc.
    Nikon has been using Sony sensors for a long time.

New Nikon and Canon pro lenses are "bloody $$$$" too, even more ex than the Sony!

And have you actually tried a canon flash on a Nikon body or vice versa? Sure, the 1920's style hotshoe fits, but your flash is now at full manual, you need to adjust the flash level yourself. It's not as "compatible" as you think. I'd prefer the Minolta-designed improved hotshoe which also prevents the flash from falling.
    Alpha

i use auto flash lar.