Thread: Need help/advise on taking pictures for events with limited resources

Default Need help/advise on taking pictures for events with limited resources

Hi all, appreciate if all can provide me with some advice/ tips on how to go about taking pictures for my friend. Here are the requirements:

My friend's niece will be holding a party for her 1st birthday and I am asked to take pictures for them. I guess the environment will be indoor and with my limited/ basic gears [kit lens/ Canon 400D/ 50mm f1.8 no ext. flash].

Can anyone advise on what is the strategy I should take with my limited gears? i.e. to make the best out from what I have. Let me know if you need more details to advise better!

Appreciate your help in advance!!

Deregistered

Default Re: Need help/advise on taking pictures for events with limited resources

get to know your gears in and out. do try out shoots so that you know what can do and what your gears cannot do. then apply your knowledge your day of shooting.

ps: watch out for bad white balance. else shoot raw.

Default Re: Need help/advise on taking pictures for events with limited resources

if it is inside their house with normal ceiling height, get a external flash, using ceiling bounce or omnibounce or bounce card, that will be good enough, if the ceiling is too high, consider shoot direct, else your flash will not be recharge fast enough.

you should able to shoot with ISO 400~800, f5.6 1/60s and flash set at TTL.

you also need have to have enough batteries for your flash.

if external flash is not available, just use your built in flash to shoot direct, else you will miss shots due to slow recharging time.

most of the time you are shooting with kit lens, if you have time, can try the 50mm lens.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Dude, if you're gonna be shooting indoors, I strongly suggest you to get an external flash. At least rent it for the event. You wont regret it

Hi Catchlights! Thanks for being so comprehensive! If I will be using flash, will it blind the baby? haha! At the end of the day, the baby might be blinded cause of the flash! haha

What is the camera setting that we can usually set? (I am referring to the sharpness, contrast, saturation etc) Or is this up to individual preference?

Using my built in flash will have a very harsh light right on the subject and background usually will be dark right?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    if it is inside their house with normal ceiling height, get a external flash, using ceiling bounce or omnibounce or bounce card, that will be good enough, if the ceiling is too high, consider shoot direct, else your flash will not be recharge fast enough.

you should able to shoot with ISO 400~800, f5.6 1/60s and flash set at TTL.

you also need have to have enough batteries for your flash.

if external flash is not available, just use your built in flash to shoot direct, else you will miss shots due to slow recharging time.

most of the time you are shooting with kit lens, if you have time, can try the 50mm lens.

Hi Jacob!

Thanks for your reply. Usually I shoot in the day indoor.. and whenever I shoot at night indoor, the pictures turn out to be blur ... with big aperture (F4 etc) shutter will be too slow and if I close the aperture to 5.6, picture will be too dark. I guess I need flash to shoot indoor?

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    get to know your gears in and out. do try out shoots so that you know what can do and what your gears cannot do. then apply your knowledge your day of shooting.

ps: watch out for bad white balance. else shoot raw.

Rent an ext. flash. Bounce off the ceiling or walls (depending on your composition). And only if walls/ceiling are white.

Quote Originally Posted by coughybean View Post
    Hi Catchlights! Thanks for being so comprehensive! If I will be using flash, will it blind the baby? haha! At the end of the day, the baby might be blinded cause of the flash! haha

What is the camera setting that we can usually set? (I am referring to the sharpness, contrast, saturation etc) Or is this up to individual preference?

Using my built in flash will have a very harsh light right on the subject and background usually will be dark right?
    Yes, do not use direct flash on the baby. As with shooting any events, direct flash should not be used unless no choice(e.g. outdoor at night). Always bounce or difuss your flash like what Catchlights has mentioned. Built in flash will create a harsh shadow and highlight on the subjects face. A good setting to use is in Manual, ISO 800, 1/60, f5.6. The high ISO will allow the flash to recharge faster. Noise should not be an issue if only printing in 4R.

Read up here, same topic with lots of details. No point being scared, just be careful and know what you are doing.

These are not camera settings but preferences for in-camera post-processing. Camera settings have been given already (ISO, f-stop, shutter speed).

Not necessarily. With higher ISO the background becomes brighter. To prevent harsh lights you can use flash diffuser. The cheapest diffuser is a simple tissue put in front of the flash (single plier).

Blog Entries

you can also ask your friend to change all the lights in the place to super bright ones

but the best bet is to use an ext flash and bounce from the ceiling

so far no reports of blind babies.

if you do decide to use a tissue to diffuse your flash (built-in or external), make sure the tissue doesn't touch the flash panel as it will get hot and may scorch the tissue.