Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please recommend a stand to fix flash gun to

Default Re: Please recommend a stand to fix flash gun to

Thanks rendition! You seem like a "lao jiao" in photography and lighting. :P

So mainly, the diff is that Qflash gives a lot more light power, compared to our relatively tiny external DSLR flashes? Good for lighting up say a large room?

I'm not sure about other forms of photography, but as far as weddings are concerned, I have never seen any pro photographer here using Qflash or any such sophisticated lighting system on actual day weddings. Wonder why.... (I've attended countless friends' and relatives' weddings.) Usually, it's the standard on-camera external flash or no flash (crank up the aperture to max).

In fact, I hardly see any photographer using simple multiple or off-camera flashes, though I read it often elsewhere overseas.
    Last edited by Priscilia; 13th March 2009 at 04:46 PM.

rendition: I like the lightstand sold by Ruby as it's very light and compact. But I don't like the holder as the screw is the only thing that secures the flash hot-shoe. It actually let my friend's flash fall off the lightstand once. But compact and solidly built.

Changster: I bought that same holder from jl-photo.net. I use it on my lightstand without the spigot. But I have to use it when I mount it on a tripod. Not included, and must buy for abt $10

Priscilia: No la, I'm doing full-time as an Art Director in a design agency, so I've worked with a bit of pro photogs here and I just happen to be an avid. Qflash is certainly not popular here as again it's quite an expensive system as compared to monolights. A decent start-up kit like Elinchrom D-Lite 4 which I just bought, costs only $1200 for 2X 400w/s lights with standard softbox and lightstands. This price barely allow you to get 1 Turbo Qflash. But I just like the fact that it's so compact and yet its capable of releasing 200w/s of light - which again suffice for most situations. Google some setup of Qflashes on light stands, you will see how compact it is. Monolights, you will need to run cables to power socket or if running on battery, you have to bare with the weight and stuff.

I was actually referring to wedding photogs in foreign countries, here I have yet to see myself. Well, having said these, do not under estimate the capabilites of 580EXII or other hot-shoe flashes for that matter. As a photographer, you have to learn how to make use of what you have and not worry too much about not having the best equipment available. I have two 580EXII which I use from time-to-time for off-shoe lighting as well, as again, it's compact and power output is definitely decent too. I don't need to shoot at ISO100 all the time if you know what I mean.

Darrrrrrrr (I might have miss one or two 'r'): Too bad, I have yet to find a better ones (bet there are) so am sticking to the ones from Ruby. Last month they actually stocked a newer version which sucks, dunno hot to explain but when I told the person, I think they changed back to old version. The groove is deeper too for the old version which will eliminate problems of your flash contacts hitting it.
    Last edited by rendition; 13th March 2009 at 04:56 PM.

If the PWs are using CE approved frequencies, that should be fine right? AFAIK only the FCC ones aren't "allowed" to be used here.

I think as of now, all PocketWizards are banned... it's the only reason there's no legit distributor here, who used to be Cathay la...

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    rendition: I like the lightstand sold by Ruby as it's very light and compact. But I don't like the holder as the screw is the only thing that secures the flash hot-shoe. It actually let my friend's flash fall off the lightstand once. But compact and solidly built.

Changster: I bought that same holder from jl-photo.net. I use it on my lightstand without the spigot. But I have to use it when I mount it on a tripod. Not included, and must buy for abt $10
    thanks for the tip man. new source to get gear.

Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    Priscilia: No la, I'm doing full-time as an Art Director in a design agency, so I've worked with a bit of pro photogs here and I just happen to be an avid. Qflash is certainly not popular here as again it's quite an expensive system as compared to monolights. A decent start-up kit like Elinchrom D-Lite 4 which I just bought, costs only $1200 for 2X 400w/s lights with standard softbox and lightstands. This price barely allow you to get 1 Turbo Qflash. But I just like the fact that it's so compact and yet its capable of releasing 200w/s of light - which again suffice for most situations. Google some setup of Qflashes on light stands, you will see how compact it is. Monolights, you will need to run cables to power socket or if running on battery, you have to bare with the weight and stuff.

I was actually referring to wedding photogs in foreign countries, here I have yet to see myself. Well, having said these, do not under estimate the capabilites of 580EXII or other hot-shoe flashes for that matter. As a photographer, you have to learn how to make use of what you have and not worry too much about not having the best equipment available. I have two 580EXII which I use from time-to-time for off-shoe lighting as well, as again, it's compact and power output is definitely decent too. I don't need to shoot at ISO100 all the time if you know what I mean.

Darrrrrrrr (I might have miss one or two 'r'): Too bad, I have yet to find a better ones (bet there are) so am sticking to the ones from Ruby. Last month they actually stocked a newer version which sucks, dunno hot to explain but when I told the person, I think they changed back to old version. The groove is deeper too for the old version which will eliminate problems of your flash contacts hitting it.
    informative reading so far!

Rendition,

Thanks again for your detailed and informative reply.

So what applications do you use the Elinchrom for? Mainly in studio, on location indoors or outdoors also?

It makes more sense that your previous description was for photographers overseas. They are really some powerful guys. It's no wonder why they deserve to be paid so much as they really take the trouble to get the lighting perfect.

aiyo. those who needs the pw just get them la. once u tried them, theres no going back!

I use my Elinchrom in a more controlled environment like... yeah, studio or indoors and of course where wall power socket is available. Monolight is capable of recharging fast and gives a more consistent output. You can also fire one after another without worrying it suffering from heat as easy as flashfuns - some monolights, even budget ones like my D-Lite is fan-cooled. I have not used it for outdoors yet cuz I do not have battery packs for it... so for the time being, am resorting to using 580EXII.
    Last edited by rendition; 13th March 2009 at 09:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12