Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound of the Shutter

Default Re: Sound of the Shutter

IMO, I do notice that the sound of the mirror flipping up and down on Canon's bodies is relatively louder in comparison with Nikon. To as how other makes fare, I do not have the opportunity because none of my friends own one other than Canons and Nikons.

You want a quiet shutter sir?

Compacts, pseudo-SLR, RF cameras (film, digital ones rape your bank).

You can also hide the shutter noise with random farting and burping.

Quote Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
    Oh, I just remember that the D40/x and D60 has a louder shutter noise than the D70/80/90. Just for your info..
    Sadly i'm using a d40x
    nikon d40x 18-55
    Photography is the new silence concept

Quote Originally Posted by thejerrytan View Post
    The best way is to use PnS. I've organised church camps before and I do let the DSLR photographers to be careful of the solemn times as you will never know who will get offended by your flash/sound or your non-compliance to be solemn.

Of course, I wasn't a DSLR user then. I advised them to 'off the sound in the camera settings' during such times.
    totally agree, but my pns camera kinda crappy.It's confession and i got to take them solemnly.lol then the camera goes che che.
    nikon d40x 18-55

Quote Originally Posted by Yoricko View Post
    You want a quiet shutter sir?

Compacts, pseudo-SLR, RF cameras (film, digital ones rape your bank).

You can also hide the shutter noise with random farting and burping.
    that's kinda funny...
    nikon d40x 18-55

Get a PnS like LX3 or G10.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Use a PnS then....

else look for camera bodies which have soft shutter sounds, like the old Nikon D70.
    My D70 mirror flipping is loud and have strong vibration too
    Canon EOS 70D
    Krisgage flickr

Quote Originally Posted by snapO View Post
    Hey guys lately i have been going for some church camps. I was the photographer, and when everywhere else is filled with peace and serenity, my camera shutter disturbs it. Anyone has any idea how to soften the shutter noise. It goes off quite loud especially when in a enclosed room. How do I take pictures and not disturb the peacefulness around them.
    there is sound proof housing for DSLR, which is very commonly use in a environment which nosie from operating a DSLR is not allow, but the type of housings are very expensive, here is the Sound Blimp.

Saw this LensCoat BodyGuard Pro CB, claim it can reduce shutter (mirror flipping) noise, but not sure how is the result.

anyway, you can try using a towel or wrap around the camera to see will it help from the time being, and tell your friends, "want no sound? than no picture taking."
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by thejerrytan View Post
    The best way is to use PnS. I've organised church camps before and I do let the DSLR photographers to be careful of the solemn times as you will never know who will get offended by your flash/sound or your non-compliance to be solemn.

Of course, I wasn't a DSLR user then. I advised them to 'off the sound in the camera settings' during such times.
    I have shot in church for the past three years, and I can tell you, all it takes is timing your shots not to release during moments where it's dead silence or close to dead silence. It also helps to keep your distance. My most commonly used focal lengths (on 1.3x crop) are 50mm and 85mm, usually nothing closer.

Also, flash is a 120% no no. Never use flash in church unless it is not a service or rally of some sort. The only time I used flash in church was during events (not services). The output of a DSLR in such challenging situations such as service halls is really unrivalled by any P&S camera.

Here is one such example shot recently in church during a service:

To summarise, the key to good church photography is discernment on when to trigger, having good timing, having good respect for the people around you (and of course, reverence for God), knowing your gear even in the dark, and just don't be a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisgage View Post
    My D70 mirror flipping is loud and have strong vibration too
    Compared to the 3 digit bodies, it's nothing....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Do you know how much one costs for a DSLR? It is even more expensive than the camera body for some models
    dont have to be working one, can be used leaky one also I think that waterproof case should be able to muffle the sound effectively.

Just to add, TS might want to look at micro 4/3 systems if the sound of the shutter is really of a nuisance.

But that may mean a whole system change

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I have shot in church for the past three years, and I can tell you, all it takes is timing your shots not to release during moments where it's dead silence or close to dead silence. It also helps to keep your distance. My most commonly used focal lengths (on 1.3x crop) are 50mm and 85mm, usually nothing closer.

Also, flash is a 120% no no. Never use flash in church unless it is not a service or rally of some sort. The only time I used flash in church was during events (not services). The output of a DSLR in such challenging situations such as service halls is really unrivalled by any P&S camera.

Here is one such example shot recently in church during a service:

To summarise, the key to good church photography is discernment on when to trigger, having good timing, having good respect for the people around you (and of course, reverence for God), knowing your gear even in the dark, and just don't be a distraction.
    Yeah, I am imagining the whine of the capacitors on the flash charging up...... *whineeeeeee*!!!!

Quick question : Would Liveview Mode help (Of cos not for the D40x) ? Since the shutter is already up ? D90 upgrade ? lol !
    Last edited by ianwurn; 13th March 2009 at 11:33 PM.
    Snap ?

Quote Originally Posted by ianwurn View Post
    Yeah, I am imagining the whine of the capacitors on the flash charging up...... *whineeeeeee*!!!!

Quick question : Would Liveview Mode help (Of cos not for the D40x) ? Since the shutter is already up ? D90 upgrade ? lol !
    It might, because it's very silent, but you will find using LV continuously very draining to the battery, and very tiring on the arms.

Quote Originally Posted by ianwurn View Post

Nope.. it doesn't. In Nikon's implementation, the mirror will still flip down to ready the shutter for the exposure then take the exposure and the mirror will go up again for LV. So it's more disturbing...

Panasonic Lumix-G system 'might' be able to address this... It's more like a digital rangefinder than an SLR.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 14th March 2009 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Nope.. it doesn't. In Nikon's implementation, the mirror will still flip down to ready the shutter for the exposure then take the exposure and the mirror will go up again for LV. So it's more disturbing...

Panasonic Lumix-G system 'might' be able to address this... It's more like a digital rangefinder than an SLR.
    Ahhh...... Well, too bad. I tot the shutter stays up. Gotta go borrow a D90 to play with man.....
    Snap ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12