Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

had bad experience for a cheap deal with one famous 2nd hand shop in penxxxx center near city hall with good reputation few months ago. On site check and test should be careful and decision made also need be cautious before deal. Once show satisfied and deal, it is difficult to get back to them after you leave their door because it is a biz. sigh

Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    i think i should send mine for a good check after i come back from germany
    i suspect its been serviced before too.
    Why didn't u just send it in to the German factory? Bro, give me a PM when you're back. We can both meet at leica.

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    U mean deleted by admin/mod?
    No idea. I thought CS admin not supposed to be involved in this? Probably by the guy himself.

too many of these in cs liao
    can easily see used lens at Mint 10 conditions (and i always thought mint is not opened yet)

so far i have met mostly gd sellers.
    normally they will give personal warrenty
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

sometimes I think its not worth taking the risk and heartache especially if u are paying thousands of $$ for a Leica lens or RF. I would probably save up enough $, bite the bullet and get a brand new set.

Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    sometimes I think its not worth taking the risk and heartache especially if u are paying thousands of $$ for a Leica lens or RF. I would probably save up enough $, bite the bullet and get a brand new set.
    Provided you can still find a brand new R-lenses and the prices are double that of the used markets.

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    U mean deleted by admin/mod?
    guys, don't jump to conclusions

the search link expired after some time.. i realise its not a permanent hyperlink.

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post

the search link expired after some time.. i realise its not a permanent hyperlink.
    Hmmm.... I doubt he will come up and defend himself if he is outright to mislead people. Anyway, I got the lens back. The dust gone and body a bit touched up. Though the manual focus ring is kinda stiff, I guess it's due to the age. I wish Thinkvision good luck, for karma will come back to haunt him someday.
    Last edited by ZoomP; 20th June 2009 at 10:47 AM.

my original interest in this thread is to remind people to check used lenses properly, and not to care about what background the seller comes from, seriously, the most professional ones can stink too.

but if you're interested as to whom i or zoomP had dealt with, its thinkvision. looked so professional, talk so professionally online especially about tests with the 35-70 f2.8 etc who knows maybe his test results are flawed due to fungal halos in the periphery!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomP View Post
    Octarine, I hope you are not speaking officially on behalf of CS? Who is talking about legal ground? The admin has the rights to ban member based on misconduct or delete certain posts if it was deemed misleading?

Anyway, what's the point of annoucing his name when he can recreate a new nick to login? I think the matters at hand is to inform people our experiences and identify the characteristics of this person. I think that will be more helpful.

Yes, it's Thinkvision. So what?!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomP View Post
    Hmmm.... I doubt he will come up and defend himself if he is outright to mislead people. Anyway, I got the lens back. The dust gone and body a bit touched up. Though the manual focus ring is kinda stiff, I guess it's due to the age. I wish Thinkvision good luck, for karma will come back to haunt him someday.
    He definitely is aware of this thread and has visited CS since. I guess he just choose to not give his side of the story here and let everyone make their own conclusion...
    Last edited by CS TAN; 20th June 2009 at 12:27 PM.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    He definitely is aware of this thread and has visited CS since. I guess he just choose to not give his side of the story here and let everyone make their own conclusion...
    You r very kind bro. :-)

wow what a thread. i personally think there's always this risk in the BnS section. if you're someone who really wanna play it save, then maybe u shud juz pay a few hunred dollars more for the peace of mind (and often for that full warranty). i think a huge majority of the deals that go on here go thru very well, but no one can stop the minority who abuse the forums as well.

as for the mod part, i too think they can't (or should) do much. they are afterall just providing a platform, and it will be just too hard for them to determine which are authentic/reputable sellers etc. i mean, internet purchases always had this risk since it started. look at e-bay and the other popular platforms, they too can't guarantee anything, which is why their using the rating, reputation and seller recommendation systems. it's a peer to peer evaluation thingy. it would of course be alot of work for CS to carry out such a system in what is suppose to be a simple marketplace.

as for the seller, i don't expect him to show up to defend himself. to be honest, not much of a point already, because he's probably only gonna juz get even more coming his way. the picture has already been painted, and the bad light has already been shone on him. sorry to hear bout this unfortunate incident TS ...

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyteocx View Post
    wow what a thread. i personally think there's always this risk in the BnS section. if you're someone who really wanna play it save, then maybe u shud juz pay a few hunred dollars more for the peace of mind (and often for that full warranty). i think a huge majority of the deals that go on here go thru very well, but no one can stop the minority who abuse the forums as well.
    i actually always buy my lenses new but when it comes to leica R, and if you want the earlier designs, i.e. pre-aspherical etc, its almost impossible to find. the newer ones of course still can be sourced but not the older designs.

and of course better to choose a good place to check lenses next time instead of by the road side in the dim lighting i.e.

"see u tonight at science pk2 main entrance (at Pasir Panjang road), shell gas station 9pm-9:15pm. sms me once you drop at that area."

pedantic.

i actually always buy my lenses new but when it comes to leica R, and if you want the earlier designs, i.e. pre-aspherical etc, its almost impossible to find. the newer ones of course still can be sourced but not the older designs.

and of course better to choose a good place to check lenses next time instead of by the road side in the dim lighting i.e.

"see u tonight at science pk2 main entrance (at Pasir Panjang road), shell gas station 9pm-9:15pm. sms me once you drop at that area."

Anyway, the price difference between a used R n new ones are more than a few hundreds

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post

You are right. Do an advance search, you can still see his For Sales posts on the forum. Guys, buyers beware!!!

Anyway, here's an extract between me and the seller on the Leica lens he sold me last time.

thinkvision
    Member Join Date: Aug 2006

Re: Leica Summilux f1.4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no, I am the first owner of it, lens about 10 years old. not 20 years. sorry. ou are wrong

Originally Posted by ZoomP
    Originally Posted by thinkvision
    Originally Posted by thinkvision
    Bro, got pics of the lens? I just bought a Summicron 50 f2. Would be interested to test the f1.4. Using a Canon 40D body. Let me know soonest. 98352126

lens in mint condition, no need pic. sample pics available in the sale thread.

Thanks for the quick reply. No dust or fungus? Original caps, box n manuals?

dust and fungus, scratch free, that why i call mint. original box, caps, hood is built in. also, SN is lucky number also.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, I don't assume you're the first owner. This is likely 20 yr old based on the serial no. Do you remember the lens code?

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    I always thought the unique IP address is one of the way to identify clones. Anyway, the admin here seems to have a way to filter out these clones as seen in this deregister thread

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204821
    We as a user will get a new ip address from time to time due to the dynamic ip by the internet provider . Unless it's legal issue, the internet provider will be able to provide the house address base on the time and ip address involved at certain time.
    Ronald Lee | DSLR World
    Armed | Nikon D90 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR | Canon Ixus i-Zoom Compact

Just a reminder also Beware of a cser who sell n buy lots of lenses. newbie better dun buy used lenses if not sure how to check. Cheers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234