Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 76

Thread: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

  1. #41
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Now that a name has been mentioned, perhaps we should give him/her a chance to provide his side of the story?
    nobody's denying him a chance to speak, if he is interested in making things right or defending himself. usual tactic is to push blame to the buyer for not checking/swopping lens element/trying to cheat him of refund/etc. not saying he's a conman or that his stuff for sale is faulty, just tt buyers need to be especially meticulous in checking because you're not going to get any "personal warranty" or refunds after the deal.

  2. #42

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    over here the sellers triumph, because its actually under the Terms & Conditions of CS that they hold no responsibility

    on one hand that its not fair for CS to be responsible, we would ask instead, if certain traits, or undesirable behaviours should be inculcated and allowed to propagate

    I don't think we are seeking CS to be responsible for the actions of such individuals. My point is Admin should exercise some rights to issue warnings since we have at least 3 cases of dishonesty. It's bad reputation too for CS to have such individuals posting numermous posts and prey on ignorant newbies like me.

  3. #43
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    I have PMed the person and ask him to provide his side of the story. Let's wait and see. After all, there is more than one person having a bad experience dealing with him/her.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  4. #44

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    over here the sellers triumph, because its actually under the Terms & Conditions of CS that they hold no responsibility

    on one hand that its not fair for CS to be responsible, we would ask instead, if certain traits, or undesirable behaviours should be inculcated and allowed to propagate
    Amen to that. Good thing I bought a Leica and the quality is legendary. My lens is ready for collection from Leica servicing. Proteon, send your lens in to Leica and have a piece of mind. Hope mine will come out as good. The consolation is I will still end up with a nice piece of glass despite the bitter taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by ZoomP; 19th June 2009 at 02:34 PM.

  5. #45

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    nobody's denying him a chance to speak, if he is interested in making things right or defending himself. usual tactic is to push blame to the buyer for not checking/swopping lens element/trying to cheat him of refund/etc. not saying he's a conman or that his stuff for sale is faulty, just tt buyers need to be especially meticulous in checking because you're not going to get any "personal warranty" or refunds after the deal.
    At least he is blaming you. He completely ignored me. Haha!!

  6. #46

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I'm not speaking on behalf of CS - and I don't need to do that. There is a legal framework in place that also CS has to obey. This legal framework also defines what CS admins are not entitled to. As long as the postings of this person don't conflict with any T&C nothing much can be done. The activities of any member outside of CS is not subject to any regulation or legal action of CS admins. This includes also any Buy&Sell activities. CS admins are not the watchdogs for Buy&Sell or photoshootings or whatever people agree to do (provided it is legal).



    The T&C of CS do not allow multiple nicks / logins for one person. That would be a clear case where CS admins can step in. Your aim to inform people in highly welcomed. In fact I'm glad to know the name and I would like to thank you for speaking up here.
    I hope you understand my critics earlier. Anonymous complaints do not help the honest people.
    I do understand your points. I count myself unlucky for meeting such individuals and will not blame anyone else. Hows is CS going to check for mulitple nicks since one can have multiple emails to create logins? Your point about being anonymous... I reiterated that I've given plenty of hints to all to figure out who the person is.

  7. #47
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    each login will have an IP address associate with it. Admin can easily run a report at the server to pick out different nicks using the same IP address.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  8. #48

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    each login will have an IP address associate with it. Admin can easily run a report at the server to pick out different nicks using the same IP address.
    nah. people who live in the same area will share IP addresses depending on their service provider. i know because i moderate another forum and sometimes you get many people with the same IP and i know for a fact they are different people because i know them personally.

  9. #49

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    I have PMed the person and ask him to provide his side of the story. Let's wait and see. After all, there is more than one person having a bad experience dealing with him/her.
    Good luck.

  10. #50

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Sucks to be scamed.

  11. #51
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by rijac View Post
    nah. people who live in the same area will share IP addresses depending on their service provider. i know because i moderate another forum and sometimes you get many people with the same IP and i know for a fact they are different people because i know them personally.
    I always thought the unique IP address is one of the way to identify clones. Anyway, the admin here seems to have a way to filter out these clones as seen in this deregister thread

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204821
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  12. #52

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    i wanan know what method they use! im developing some forums and would like to know how to weeed out clones

  13. #53

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    quite ridiculous sometimes when people say lens condition is like 'new','mint',ultra razor sharp, clear, fungus free, all the time (even when some times the item is a year or 2 years old). Does it pay to take it in word for word? No.

    just need to be extra extra cautious in BnS market.

  14. #54

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Got my lens back from Leica just now. The hair and dust gone!!! Great work and he rushed it out for me in 2 days cos he is going away for vacation. Very nice chap, this Andrew guy.

    $180 is not cheap but at least I can rest assured for now. Andrew told me the lens has been serviced or clean before so definitely not mint.
    Last edited by ZoomP; 19th June 2009 at 05:07 PM.

  15. #55

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    invalid link?

    Hmmm it was not earlier.....

    Dunno why now can't link

  16. #56

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    a doctor by profession? haha... i reckon not!

  17. #57

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by wongjunhao View Post
    A very newbie question...

    How do I check the lens for defects (eg fungus or others)
    I usually use a torchlite and shine inside from both ends.

  18. #58

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Hmmm it was not earlier.....

    Dunno why now can't link
    Well, the verdit is out!!! Guilty as charged!!! Justice prevailed.

  19. #59

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomP View Post
    Got my lens back from Leica just now. The hair and dust gone!!! Great work and he rushed it out for me in 2 days cos he is going away for vacation. Very nice chap, this Andrew guy.

    $180 is not cheap but at least I can rest assured for now. Andrew told me the lens has been serviced or clean before so definitely not mint.
    i think i should send mine for a good check after i come back from germany
    i suspect its been serviced before too.
    pedantic.

  20. #60

    Default Re: A reminder to all newbies to check used lenses thoroughly before purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomP View Post
    Well, the verdit is out!!! Guilty as charged!!! Justice prevailed.
    U mean deleted by admin/mod?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •